Old December 8th 17, 05:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Tarrasch and Tartakower

Tarrasch's book _Das Schachspiel_, from 1931, was translated into English as "The
Game of Chess", and published in 1935.

But two other important books of his, _Dreihundert Schachpartien_, from 1895, and
_Die moderne Schachpartie_ from 1912, did not receive contemporary translations
into English; a translation of the former into English finally came out in 1999.

In the case of Savielly (Ksawery or Xavier) Tartakower, while "500 Master Games of
Chess" was published in 1952, translated from the original French, _Die
Hypermoderne Schachpartie_ waited until 2015 for an English translation... while a
Spanish-language translation was published in Argentina in 1952! There was also a
Russian-language translation from 2005, also quite late.

On the other hand, his _Bréviaire des Échecs_ from 1934 was translated into
English as "A Breviary of Chess" by 1946; this is somewhat surprising, as the
English language, like most others, already had plenty of introductory books on
Chess, even from authors other than Fred Reinfeld!

It seems to me that this indicates that the popularity of Chess in the English-
speaking world for a long time lagged behind its popularity among speakers of
German, Spanish, French, and in other parts of the world, particularly as
English speakers are less likely to know a second language than speakers of many
other languages.

In the case of Tarrasch, though, I've just learned that some slighting comments
about Blackburne were mistakenly attributed to him, affecting his popularity in
Britain adversely, so there was a more specific explanation.

John Savard
Old December 8th 17, 06:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 10:58:44 PM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:

But two other important books of his, _Dreihundert Schachpartien_, from 1895, and
_Die moderne Schachpartie_ from 1912, did not receive contemporary translations
into English; a translation of the former into English finally came out in 1999.

In the case of Savielly (Ksawery or Xavier) Tartakower, while "500 Master Games of
Chess" was published in 1952, translated from the original French, _Die
Hypermoderne Schachpartie_ waited until 2015 for an English translation... while a
Spanish-language translation was published in Argentina in 1952! There was also a
Russian-language translation from 2005, also quite late.

There was also a Russian-language translation of _Dreihundert Schachpartien_,
but that was also somewhat late, dating from 1988.

John Savard
Old December 8th 17, 12:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 08/12/17 05:58, Quadibloc wrote:
It seems to me that this indicates that the popularity of Chess in the English-
speaking world for a long time lagged behind its popularity among speakers of
German, Spanish, French, and in other parts of the world, [...].

I don't know whether that is historically true, but if we're going to
judge it, as you propose, by the time taken to produce translations of seminal
works, then we need (a) an agreed list of such works, not just those that have
been a long time a-waiting, and (b) a comparison list of books in English and
how long, if at all, it took for German/Spanish/French translations to appear.

By the time you include the various major categories of book [openings,
middle-game, endings, tournament/match books, biographies, game collections,
instructional, historical, problems/studies, others?], I'm guessing that even
quite a "short" list would encompass at least 200 titles, so this would be
a major undertaking. I'm not volunteering! But it could be interesting.

--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.