Old March 5th 18, 06:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Anand wins Tal

Vishy Anand shows he can still hang with the young studs winning the Tal Memorial Rapids this weekend. Congratulations to Anand. Just wish he could have qualified for the upcoming Candidates Tournament.
Old March 5th 18, 08:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Monday, 5 March 2018 06:25:08 UTC, EJAY wrote:
Vishy Anand shows he can still hang with the young studs winning the Tal Memorial Rapids this weekend. Congratulations to Anand. Just wish he could have qualified for the upcoming Candidates Tournament.

If Anand had qualified for the Candidates' he may well have won them.... But perhaps he doesn't really want to play Carlsen for a third time. As it happens I think that Kramnik will do very well, and he is about the same age as Anand.

I can't quite see Krammers winning it, though. I think Ding Liren might do it.
Old March 5th 18, 12:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 05/03/2018 09:19, Offramp wrote:
On Monday, 5 March 2018 06:25:08 UTC, EJAY wrote:
Vishy Anand shows he can still hang with the young studs winning
the Tal Memorial Rapids this weekend. Congratulations to Anand.
Just wish he could have qualified for the upcoming Candidates
Tournament.

But doesn't the fact that he failed to qualify show that he can no
longer hang with the young studs? 14 rounds classical TC and a rapid
week-ender are completely different beasts.

If Anand had qualified for the Candidates' he may well have won
them.... But perhaps he doesn't really want to play Carlsen for a
third time. As it happens I think that Kramnik will do very well, and
he is about the same age as Anand.

Kramnik will suffer from his usual problem (his black openings against
anything other than 1.e4)

I can't quite see Krammers winning it, though. I think Ding Liren
might do it.

Aronian (on home turf) will be the quy to beat. I also see Fabi with
good chances if he "only" starts to convert his winning positions. But
perhaps Vladimir Vladimirovich (Putin) has arranged for something
completely different. We'll find out.

Cheers,
Rainer