Old June 25th 03, 07:12 PM
Andy

Default How to slow young chess players down ?!

I'll give it a go !
Thanks,

Andy

"Captain Wubba" wrote in message
m...
I have had students move too quickly, some of them habitually. When it
becomes a problem, I do the following with them during my lessons. I
play them a G/15 or G/20 game (I consider playing students a fairly
long game like this important on a regular basis), but use a
stopwatch. After I move, I hit their clock, and count out 10 (or 15)
seconds "One One Thousand, Two One Thousand..." and tell them they
cannot move until I get to 'Ten One thousand'. Even if they have mate
in one, they cannot move. Even if they have only one legal move, they
cannot make it until the ten seconds have passed.

I had one student with whom this was the *only* thing we did for three
consecutive lessons. He got bored, and wasn't happy, but by the end of
the third lesson, he had basically trained himself to not move so
quickly. This indeed paid off handomely in tournament play, where he
had lost several games to weaker players because he was moving
instantly.

Cheers,

Cap

"Andy" wrote in message

My son aged 6 is playing Chessmaster 8000 and has been progressing

steadily
with his rating to reach 1018 USCF after 250+ games in 7 weeks. Yes,

he's
very keen !

He's recently started playing much too fast though (over confident and

under
skilled !) and losing as a result making his rating fall to 900. While

I'm
sure he'll get back up and beyond, has anyone got any tips for slowing

young
kids down ?

He's getting very board of me telling him to do so in his ear all the

time !

Similarly he was in his first individual tournament recently and while

he
did very well he was rather lucky in the early rounds again playing much

too
fast. Eventually he slowed down and played much better.

Thanks,

Andy