Old June 30th 03, 11:42 PM
Ivan

Default Kasparov and KID/Benoni

During the the 1970s and 80s, I noticed that Gary Kasparov would play
the Kings Indian Defense or the Benoni very frequently. However in
these present times, this does not happen anymore. Any reason why he
has chosen not to play these openings anymore ?
Old July 2nd 03, 01:57 PM
EZoto

Whether you want to believe it or not Kasparov's favorite opening as
black and white is the Queen's Gambit Declined. The Kings Indian was
one of his favorites but he admitted that he gets better positions in
the QGD than the KID. His favorite defense against e4 has always been
the Scheveningen Sicilian.

EZoto
Old July 29th 03, 05:57 AM
Matthew O'Hara

Kasparov made World Champion through the resistance of Karpov. His dpawn
defense included many interesting forays into the Tarrasch Defence and
Grunfeld at that point. I think he seemed to feel more comfortable away from
the KID and Benoni. The critcal point in Kasparov's development was the
annuled match when he repeatedly defended with the Queen's Gambit Declined.
This was the lesson he could only learn from Karpov, and he demonstrated his
ability to play near-flawless defence. At the highest levels there is more
of a need to vary one's opening choice as all your games can be put under
the microscope. As for the bayo, it is not Black's greatest challenge in
the King's Indian IMHO..
Matthew
"GreenPencil" wrote in message
om...
(Ivan) wrote in message

om...
During the the 1970s and 80s, I noticed that Gary Kasparov would play
the Kings Indian Defense or the Benoni very frequently. However in
these present times, this does not happen anymore. Any reason why he
has chosen not to play these openings anymore ?

Bayonet attack. b4!