Old July 3rd 03, 11:13 AM
Gunny Bunny

Default BBC Show on Chess

Looks like it could be interesting, if u have satellite TV J

BBC Show On Chess

Chess In Pieces

Timed to coincide with a new exhibition at Somerset House in London, this
documentary looks at art and chess, two worlds driven by money and power.

Chess is a game so intense that it has driven leading players to obsession
and insanity, but it is also a metaphor for the society in which it is
played. From the days of the Vikings, through ancient India and the
Napoleonic era to the present day, the design of the chess set has reflected
this. Modern artists in particular, such as Marcel Duchamp and Yoko Ono,
have used chess as a way of expressing ideas about art and society, and in
2003, it has become a powerful vehicle for some of the world's leading
contemporary artists.

Featuring interviews with Damien Hirst, American conceptual artist Paul
McCarthy and the Chapman Brothers, the film also includes exclusive footage
of Hirst working on an early chess set which will never be shown to the
public.

Old July 4th 03, 11:38 AM
Gunny Bunny

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listing..._4544_49078_30

"Louis Blair" wrote in message ...
Gunny Bunny wrote (Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:13:27 GMT):

Looks like it could be interesting, if u have satellite TV J

BBC Show On Chess

Chess In Pieces

_
Does anyone know when this will be shown?

Old July 5th 03, 07:48 AM
Jack

Default BBC Show on Chess, calling all Brits

As "Gunny Bunny" wrote, Chess in Pieces will be on BBC Four at 8:30 PM. Most
of us in the US only have access to BBC America which, according to the Dish
Network website, will not air the program. Would anyone be willing to tape
it? I'm sure their are a lot of folks like myself here who would be willing
to pay $10.00 or so for a bootleg copy.
Thanks,
Jack

Old July 9th 03, 01:36 AM
michael adams

Mark Houlsby wrote:

"Jack" :7502 wrote in message ...
As "Gunny Bunny" wrote, Chess in Pieces will be on BBC Four at 8:30 PM. Most
of us in the US only have access to BBC America which, according to the Dish
Network website, will not air the program. Would anyone be willing to tape
it? I'm sure their are a lot of folks like myself here who would be willing
to pay $10.00 or so for a bootleg copy.
Thanks,
Jack

Save your money. It fulfilled all my worst fears. For the most part,
it featured the exhibition's artists (perhaps the most [in]famous of
which is Damien Hirst) spouting their customarily onanistic claptrap.

Totally agree, anything by the above & his dirty bedmate 'Tracie' really
belongs under the heading '******'. The BBC is not what it once was I
fear, which is logical when you think you have to be a certain political
hue to 'get a go' so to speak. M. Duchamp knew what he was doing
'owever..

snip

Old July 11th 03, 04:41 PM
Myron Samsin

Save your money. It fulfilled all my worst fears. For the most part,
it featured the exhibition's artists (perhaps the most [in]famous of
which is Damien Hirst) spouting their customarily onanistic claptrap.

Well, still. I'd like to have a record of just what onanistic claptrap it
is, for my own reasons.

If anybody out there taped the show about Somerset House, let me know and
we'll work something out. Thanks.