Old July 3rd 03, 07:09 PM
tomic

Default Useful top chess players

I found interesting item on the internet:

During World War II, some of the top Chess players were also code breakers.
British masters Harry Golombek, Stuart Milner-Barry and H. O'D. Alexander
were on the team which broke the Nazi Enigma code.

Does anybody have more information about it? Any comments?

Regards,
Goran Tomic

Old July 4th 03, 02:00 AM
Mark Houlsby

"tomic" wrote in message ...
I found interesting item on the internet:

During World War II, some of the top Chess players were also code breakers.
British masters Harry Golombek, Stuart Milner-Barry and H. O'D. Alexander
were on the team which broke the Nazi Enigma code.

Does anybody have more information about it? Any comments?

Regards,
Goran Tomic

Try http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/

If you click the link "Shop" and navigate to "Show all videos" you
will see, at the bottom of the list, "Station X" in VHS PAL format.
This was a television series shown on Channel 4 in Britain a few years
ago, which provided an excellent introduction to the relevant goings
on. Of course, the *real* genius of Bletchley Park was Alan Turing.

Best
Mark
Old July 5th 03, 06:34 AM
PJDBAD

One thing you have to remember is that situations change but methods remain
basically the same. As far as disinformation goes, no government is going to
come right out at tell you that they actually bought the code or other
information when they can provide a believeable tale about how it was
"actually" obtained. Likewise they might claim to have bought material that
they obtained through other means. Neither precludes the use of both back
channels and regular chanels. Another possibility is obtaining the material
after it has been put into plain text. Code changes, but the language does not.
Unless the language itself is a code.
Old July 6th 03, 11:35 PM
Nick

"Jerzy" wrote in message ...
"tomic" wrote in message
During World War II, some of the top Chess players were also code breakers.
British masters Harry Golombek, Stuart Milner-Barry and H. O'D. Alexander
were on the team which broke the Nazi Enigma code.

There is much information and disinformation about Enigma over the net ))
For sure the key to solving the enigma of enigma was given by Polish
mathematicians who had deciphered the early coding machine before ww2.
BTW I`ve read lately an interesting book by Robert Harris called of course
"Enigma". Well, it was mostly disinformation but good written

Dear Jerzy,

You may be interested in knowing that the government of Poland lodged a
protest of the 2001 British film, 'Enigma', whose screenplay was written
by Tom Stoppard based on Robert Harris's novel.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...559785,00.html

--Nick
Old July 6th 03, 11:54 PM
Jerzy

"Nick" wrote in message
om...

There is much information and disinformation about Enigma over the net

))
For sure the key to solving the enigma of enigma was given by Polish
mathematicians who had deciphered the early coding machine before ww2.
BTW I`ve read lately an interesting book by Robert Harris called of

course
"Enigma". Well, it was mostly disinformation but good written

Dear Jerzy,

You may be interested in knowing that the government of Poland lodged a
protest of the 2001 British film, 'Enigma', whose screenplay was written
by Tom Stoppard based on Robert Harris's novel.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...559785,00.html

That`s why I wrote it was mainly disinformation and fiction
But of course well written and that`s why the book was a bestseller.

Jerzy (Poland)