Old July 4th 03, 07:58 PM
Southpaw

Default Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ???

Hmmm...

You shouldn't make assumptions. I'm a long way from being a Fischer fanatic,
and he is certainly not my idol, hero or whatever else you'd like to
imagine. Frankly I much prefer Spassky and always have. But there's a world
of difference between a World Champion's mistake (and I certainly accept
that his idea was probably a mistake) and what we amateurs would call a
blunder. A beginner may not have seen that his bishop would be trapped -
that would be a blunder. Whether Fischer thought that the two pawns and the
time it took Spassky to march his king from d3 to get the bishop would be
compensation, or whether he did actually miscalculate the line involving
32...h3 33 Kg4 Bg1 34 Kxh3 Bxf2 35 Bd2!, we will never know since Fischer
has hardly commented on it, and could hardly be considered to be objective
even if he did.

And even after losing the bishop, many analysts far better qualified than I
think he still had a draw.

"NoMoreChess" wrote in message
I hardly think he 'blundered' the piece as such. He'd have been well

aware
that the bishop would be lost, but I think it was a deliberate winning
attempt.

Bwaahahahahaaa! LOL!

Bobby hung his Bishop for TWO (count 'em, two) pawns, and this was all

part
of his master-plan to play for a win? You really are way out there, when

it
comes to objectively assessing things relating to your idol.

Bobby simply blundered. That little dot at the end was a period, BTW.

Even
a lowly patzer like me knows that a Bishop is worth 3.1415927 pawns, or a
smidgeon more. It's a geometrical fact.

What Fischer's fanatical fans refuse to grasp is that Boris DELIBERATELY

left
that h-pawn en prise, KNOWING it was uncapturable, due to his ACCURATE
calculations. Fischer botched one.

Old July 5th 03, 05:33 AM
Louis Blair

Southpaw wrote (Fri, 4 Jul 2003 19:58:08 +0100):

Whether Fischer thought that the two pawns and the time it took
Spassky to march his king from d3 to get the bishop would be
compensation, or whether he did actually miscalculate the line
involving 32...h3 33 Kg4 Bg1 34 Kxh3 Bxf2 35 Bd2!, we will
never know since Fischer has hardly commented on it, and could
hardly be considered to be objective even if he did.

_
Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me, but I thought that
there was a brief comment by Fischer on the matter in that
book, No Regrets. Can anyone check to see what (if anything)
he said about it?