Old July 7th 03, 03:55 PM
Robert Schmieder

Default what opening is this?

e4 b6 d4 Bb7
and where can I find a good intoduction?
Gruß,
Robert
Old July 7th 03, 07:00 PM
Liam Too

Robert Schmieder wrote in message . ..
e4 b6 d4 Bb7
and where can I find a good intoduction? Gruß,Robert

It's called the Owens defence. There is a theoritical problem with
this opening though because it neglects the centre.

1. e4 b6?!, 2. d4 Bb7, 3. Bd3. Now 3. ... f5? would be venturing
through some icebergs because after 4. ef Bxg2?, 5. Qh5+ g6, 6. fg
Nf6, 7. gh! NxQ, 8. Bg6++ (not good!)

A different plan for black would be 3. ... e6. White might play c4
transposing to the English defence.

Another way would be to develop normally with Nf3, Nc3, or Bf4 with
the intent pf playing Nd2 to stop black from pinning the knight on c3
with his bishop.

The verdict: White's better developed pieces and not so cramped
position should win it.
Old July 7th 03, 09:55 PM
Southpaw

I think Miles and several others started adopting various move orders with
the line. People became reluctant to play a straight b6 before White had
committed his c pawn. If White can solidify the centre with e4, d4, c3,
Black's counterplay seems a tad difficult. Supposedly this was how Miles hit
on a6, b5 against Karpov as an 'extension' of b6 (?!)

"Joshua B. Lilly" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
It`s called 'Owen`s Defence' when 1.e4 b6
Against 1.d4 or 1.c4 folks tend to call 1...b6 the "English Defence".
There`s a book out on it by GM Andrew Soltis called 'Winning with the
English Defence'. Supposedly this is a fair book. GM Tony Miles enjoyed
using 1...b6 against any White first moves, with mixed success against

high
level opposition.

- Joshua B. Lilly

news

Old July 8th 03, 06:26 AM
Robert Schmieder

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:50:42 -0400, "Joshua B. Lilly"
wrote:

It`s called 'Owen`s Defence' when 1.e4 b6
Against 1.d4 or 1.c4 folks tend to call 1...b6 the "English Defence".
There`s a book out on it by GM Andrew Soltis called 'Winning with the
English Defence'. Supposedly this is a fair book. GM Tony Miles enjoyed
using 1...b6 against any White first moves, with mixed success against high
level opposition.

- Joshua B. Lilly

"Robert Schmieder" wrote in message
news
e4 b6 d4 Bb7
and where can I find a good intoduction?
Gruß,
Robert

What is the ECO-key for this opening?
Gruß,
Robert
Old July 8th 03, 03:17 PM
Liam Too

Robert Schmieder wrote in message . ..

What is the ECO-key for this opening? Gruß, Robert

B00