Old July 10th 03, 08:05 PM
gorkov43

Default what is a good chess lesson price

John Smith wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Fritz costs about $50 - gives you unlimited lessons......

I have Fritz. He certainly gives no lessons. He finds tactics and
combos every time, he pulls of a fairly good impression of a human patzer
when I "dumb" his game down. He blunder checks my games for me precisely.
I have never had a chess lesson, but I expect gobs and gobs more than
what Fritz has to offer when I eventually do pay for a teacher.

"Don Shennum" wrote in message
On 10 Jul 2003 08:10:00 -0700, (Ivan) wrote:

I was wondering how much money I should expect to pay for chess
lessons.
I met someone the other day who was rated 2100 and he told he charges
25/hour for lessons. Is that a good deal?

Some background would help.

What is your rating? Where do you live? What kind of track record
teaching does this guy have? Does he have to travel to your place to
teach? What's the structure of the lessons?

Overall, I'd say this sounds about right, maybe even slightly on the
cheap side if you live in a major metro area. I'm about the same
rating, and depending on all the circumstances, I charge between
$20-$40 an hour when I teach.

Regards,
Don Shennum

Old July 14th 03, 06:33 PM
John Smith

Except for blunder checks, I gave them lessons by fidning tactics and combos
from their positions and vice-versa.:-). Once you have grasped the basic
concepts (500 master games of chess by J.J.Dumont provides a very good
foundation), Fritz is the best in terms of finding tactics and combos and
end-games. It's also good to play out what if scenarios. So, Fritz and a
couple of good books would be more than enough to become a decent player.

Old July 14th 03, 07:47 PM
gorkov43

John Smith wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Except for blunder checks, I gave them lessons by fidning tactics and

combos
from their positions and vice-versa.:-). Once you have grasped the basic
concepts (500 master games of chess by J.J.Dumont provides a very good
foundation), Fritz is the best in terms of finding tactics and combos and
end-games. It's also good to play out what if scenarios. So, Fritz and a
couple of good books would be more than enough to become a decent player.

You said it gives unlimited lessons. It does no such thing. You are
using it as the tool it is meant to be, and you are "giving yourself" the
lessons! I use Fritz for all the same things you stated. Its an excellent
program.
I stand by my original comment. I expect much more from a master
giving me lessons than I do from my own study plan using books and Fritz and
my bare game scores, as valuable as these things are in themselves.

Old July 14th 03, 07:50 PM
Eric Hicks

Probably the most effective private lesson is to have your slow games
analyzed. Before computers it was necessary to find a strong master to
help you understand what you did wrong in your games. Now it is true,
everyone with a computer has access to a GM strength analysis partner.
It is amazing to pick apart the games that you have spent hours
contemplating with a computer. So in that way, I feel computers are a
serious threat to the usefuleness of private lessons.

...x
Old July 14th 03, 08:35 PM
Ian Burton

"John Smith" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Except for blunder checks, I gave them lessons by fidning tactics and

combos
from their positions and vice-versa.:-). Once you have grasped the basic
concepts (500 master games of chess by J.J.Dumont provides a very good
foundation), Fritz is the best in terms of finding tactics and combos and
end-games. It's also good to play out what if scenarios. So, Fritz and a
couple of good books would be more than enough to become a decent player.

Fritz and a couple of good books might be more than enough to make one a
good player, but they do not provide the lessons of a good teacher. There's
a great difference.
--
Ian Burton
[Please Reply to Newsgroup]