Old July 14th 03, 11:04 AM
Yuri Garrett

Default Alekhine WWII articles - German text

Dear everyone,

I am an Italian "would-be chess historian" and editor. I am looking for
the exact German text of the infamous "Jewish and Aryan Chess" articles
by Alexander Alekhine as also for their exact dates and medium of
publication.

Any help in this respect would be greatly appreciated (full text, hints,
any information whatsoever).

Yuri Garrett

(please reply in public or else at infodonot
)

Old July 15th 03, 10:16 AM
[email protected]

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:04:46 +0000 (UTC), "Yuri Garrett"
wrote:

Dear everyone,

I am an Italian "would-be chess historian" and editor. I am looking for
the exact German text of the infamous "Jewish and Aryan Chess" articles
by Alexander Alekhine as also for their exact dates and medium of
publication.

Any help in this respect would be greatly appreciated (full text, hints,
any information whatsoever).

Yuri Garrett

A. Aljechin, Jüdisches und arisches Schach. Eine psychologische
Studie, die – gegründet auf die Erfahrungen am schwarz-weißen Brett –
den jüdischen Mangel an Mut und Gestaltungskraft nachweist. Der
Artikel wurde u.a. in der Pariser Zeitung (18.3.1941-23.3.1941), in
der Deutschen Schachzeitung 1941, S. 49-53, 65-67, 82-84 und in der
Deutschen Zeitung in den Niederlanden, März-April 1941 veröffentlicht.

Old July 15th 03, 04:38 PM
Yuri Garrett

"jurgenr" wrote in message

Yuri Garrett

A. Aljechin, Jüdisches und arisches Schach. Eine psychologische
Studie, die – gegründet auf die Erfahrungen am schwarz-weißen Brett –
den jüdischen Mangel an Mut und Gestaltungskraft nachweist. Der
Artikel wurde u.a. in der Pariser Zeitung (18.3.1941-23.3.1941), in
der Deutschen Schachzeitung 1941, S. 49-53, 65-67, 82-84 und in der
Deutschen Zeitung in den Niederlanden, März-April 1941 veröffentlicht.

Thanks!
no idea of where the original text may be found?
YG

Old July 16th 03, 10:12 AM
Jurgen R.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:38:48 +0000 (UTC), "Yuri Garrett"
wrote:

"jurgenr" wrote in message

Yuri Garrett

A. Aljechin, Jüdisches und arisches Schach. Eine psychologische
Studie, die – gegründet auf die Erfahrungen am schwarz-weißen Brett –
den jüdischen Mangel an Mut und Gestaltungskraft nachweist. Der
Artikel wurde u.a. in der Pariser Zeitung (18.3.1941-23.3.1941), in
der Deutschen Schachzeitung 1941, S. 49-53, 65-67, 82-84 und in der
Deutschen Zeitung in den Niederlanden, März-April 1941 veröffentlicht.

Thanks!
no idea of where the original text may be found?
YG

The 'Pariser Zeitung' and the 'D. Z. in den Niederlanden' were Nazi
propaganda rags that are probably hard to find outside specialized
collections. However, the 'Deutsche Schachzeitung' existed from 1845
until 1988 and was, for much of that time, a reputable magazine. You
will find it in most serious libraries. Even the New York Public
Library has it.

Regards, J.

Old July 16th 03, 11:23 AM
Yuri Garrett

"Jurgen R." wrote in message

The 'Pariser Zeitung' and the 'D. Z. in den Niederlanden' were Nazi
propaganda rags that are probably hard to find outside specialized
collections. However, the 'Deutsche Schachzeitung' existed from 1845
until 1988 and was, for much of that time, a reputable magazine. You
will find it in most serious libraries. Even the New York Public
Library has it.

Dear Jurgen,
thank you so much for the information. I'll try and see if they have
copies of the newspaper here in the public library in Rome (it's
actually kind of a state archive). It might well be. Unfortunately, NY
is an Ocean away and it would seem somewhat more difficult to get there!
:-)
I will keep, if I may, your email address so that I may contact you for
my research project, if it willl ever see the light. I plan to write a
small essay on those years and on the pressures that were made on famous
chess players, starting with Alekhine. Of course, the essay will be
focused on the Italian translation of the articles. I will undeoubtedly
credit you for your help.

Thank you once again,
Yuri