Old July 17th 03, 09:31 PM
DDEckerslyke

Default Who is the biggest jerk GM

Jon Speelman

Old July 18th 03, 11:51 PM
EZoto

Also he looks like an ubergeek.

http://www.turowski.com/chess/speelman.html

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/frink.jpg

cheers

dd

Hmmm. Can't disagree with you there.

EZoto
Old July 29th 03, 09:24 PM
King Leopold

If you want to see an excellent chess lecturer, than watch a lecture by
Jeremy Silman. His books (actualy his writing style) bore me to death. But I
love listening to him in person!
Leopold

"DDEckerslyke" wrote in message
"EZoto" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Hmmmm. Either your right or your very anti-british. I'll go with
your (sic) being wrong just to be on the safe side.

I've been to a few chess events in London where Jon Speelman was
commentating. His idea of analysis is to rattle out 16 or 20 ply

variations,
sometimes to the noticeable exasperation of his co-commentators. Is he
showing off or just getting carried away with his enthusiasm? My money's

on
the first. Also he's got a daily column in The Independent, which imo is

the
best newspaper in the UK, and it stinks. He conveys no interest or

enjoyment
of chess and the whole thing looks like it took all of ten minutes to

write.
Contrast this with Leonard Barden in The Guardian on a Saturday or Bill
Hartston when he used to write for 'The Independent'.