Old July 17th 03, 09:43 PM
DaveJG

Default Washington Square Park - What to expect?

My 15-year-old nephew is an avid chess player, and is considering
visiting Washington State Park while vacationing in New York. What is
he to expect? What is the environment/attitude? What's the
etiquette? I've read of "hustlers", but is that in a manner of a
"pool hustler", sneakily trying to steal your money, or more upfront
"give me $5.00 and I'll play you"?

I guess he's pretty good, he plays online quite a bit, and has won
some High School division championships.
Old July 17th 03, 11:44 PM
EZoto

If you go there thinking you can prove something you have another
thing coming. You can get humbled quite quickly in Wash park. They
act like weak players but they aint! But if you go just to have fun
you can play a player ( a really good player ) for a couple of bucks.
Sometimes the last I remember Dzindzi, Shirazi would be around there
playing people. And some IM's would sneak in there. Just go there to
have fun and don't act like your somebody special. You can learn
quite a bit from those guys there.

EZoto
Old July 25th 03, 12:14 AM
DOMSCIA

be careful there are real hustlers and sharks who play for money and are pretty
good players i know i have been there tell the boy to just enjoy himself but
keep a way eye out for cheats
Old July 30th 03, 03:20 PM
Flobby Bischer

They sell lots of drugs in that area too, so beware of that. Also one or two
of the players are mentally unstable. One guy in particular can get violent
and has physically threatened me just for looking at him. (Am I THAT
ugly??!) Some guys there are really nice too, just take your time and know
many will be nice to kids.
Also realize many there are rated around 2300 and they make their money from
chess, so they know all the tricks.