Old July 20th 03, 07:29 PM
Eric Hicks

Default Grand Masters and the King's Gambit

Does anyone know any strong modern day Grand Masters who have played the
King's Gambit in tournament play?

I know Judith Polgar has...and Spassky...and Fischer...

But who else?

http://www.academicchess.com
Best Free Learning Site on the Planet

...x
Old July 20th 03, 10:23 PM
DDEckerslyke

"Eric Hicks" wrote in message
Does anyone know any strong modern day Grand Masters who have played the
King's Gambit in tournament play?

I know Judith Polgar has...and Spassky...and Fischer...

Did Fischer play the King's Gambit? IIRC after a loss featured in 60MG he
did some work on the King's Gambit and decided 2....d6 (I think) was a
refutation.

Alexander Morozevich occasionally plays the King's Gambit against top
opposition. Here is some Goooooooooooogling I did earlier

http://tinyurl.com/hiag
http://tinyurl.com/hial

But if you're looking for wild 19th century type games I remember reading
somewhere that the modern approach is to simplify into a won ending!

cheers

dd

Old July 20th 03, 11:06 PM
CeeBee

Eric Hicks wrote

Does anyone know any strong modern day Grand Masters who have played the
King's Gambit in tournament play?

I know Judith Polgar has...and Spassky...and Fischer...

But who else?

Earlier Bronstein has.
Nowadays Fedorov, and Nigel Short also.

--
CeeBee

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2
Old July 20th 03, 11:28 PM
Louis Blair

DDEckerslyke wrote (Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:23:45 +0100):

Did Fischer play the King's Gambit? IIRC after a loss featured
in 60MG he did some work on the King's Gambit and decided
2....d6 (I think) was a refutation.

_
If I remember correctly, Fischer wrote about the line, 1 e4 e5
2 f4 ef 3 Nf3 d6, but himself played 1 e4 e5 2 f4 ef 3 Bc4.

Old July 21st 03, 03:34 AM
Robert Musicant

"Eric Hicks" wrote in message
Does anyone know any strong modern day Grand Masters who have played the
King's Gambit in tournament play?

I know Judith Polgar has...and Spassky...and Fischer...

But who else?

http://www.academicchess.com
Best Free Learning Site on the Planet

Nigel Short played it twce against Shirov in 1999, both draws, once against
Karpov in 2000, also a draw, and against Zu Chen in 2002, 1-0 in 61 moves.
Micky Adams played it against Shirov and Sokolov in 1997, both draws
Morozevich won with it against Almasi in 2002. Although no longer among the
elite players, Heikki Westerinen continues to play it.

These are only the current top players. If you are going to go back 40-50
years, as you do by naming Spassky and Fischer, you should also include
Bronstein, who along with Spassky was one of the last great exponents of the
KG. And he continues to play it right up to the present day.

It's purely my impression, but it seems that the reason it isn't seen more
often isn't that it is considered busted, but rather that after 1.e4 e5,
most of the elite players believe they can achieve an objectively stronger
position by playing 2.Nf3, while 2.f4 allows Black too easy a path to
equalizing.

Old July 29th 03, 03:55 AM
LeModernCaveman

[...]

The "equality" that results from the King's Gambit is anything but simple. A
strong endgame player could do very well with many of the resulting positions.

The main downside of the King's Gambit in international play is that no one
wants to lose a game as White in 11 moves where he was busted at move five.

If you're better than your opponent, you can play 2. Nf3 and grind him down.