Old July 23rd 03, 07:39 AM
Eric HIcks

Default World's Most Famous Chess Games

The Immortal Game

The Evergreen Game

The Opera House Game

The Game of the Century

SOmetimes games become so famous they have titles. I am trying to put
together a list of the most famous games ever played. Strange
phenomenon.

Here is the list so far:
http://www.academicchess.com/play/in...ousgames.shtml

Does anyone have any ideas on some famous games I can add to this list?
Does anyone know of any games with titles that stuck?

Thanks

ERIC HICKS

http://www.academicchess.com

..
Old July 23rd 03, 08:38 AM
Alan O'Brien

"Eric HIcks" wrote in message
The Immortal Game

The Evergreen Game

The Opera House Game

The Game of the Century

SOmetimes games become so famous they have titles. I am trying to put
together a list of the most famous games ever played. Strange
phenomenon.

Here is the list so far:
http://www.academicchess.com/play/in...ousgames.shtml

Does anyone have any ideas on some famous games I can add to this list?
Does anyone know of any games with titles that stuck?

It's strange how games go in and out of fashion. Irving Chernev's favourite
was Alekhine v Bogoljuboff (Hastings 1922??). But the whole combination was
found to be a waste of time and the game is no longer mentioned.
One of my favourites is the last game of the Lasker-Schlechter match.
Also Spassky-Fischer (13) 1972.

Old July 23rd 03, 09:12 AM
Roman M. Parparov

Alan O'Brien wrote:

"Eric HIcks" wrote in message
The Immortal Game

The Evergreen Game

The Opera House Game

The Game of the Century

SOmetimes games become so famous they have titles. I am trying to put
together a list of the most famous games ever played. Strange
phenomenon.

Here is the list so far:
http://www.academicchess.com/play/in...ousgames.shtml

Does anyone have any ideas on some famous games I can add to this list?
Does anyone know of any games with titles that stuck?

It's strange how games go in and out of fashion. Irving Chernev's favourite
was Alekhine v Bogoljuboff (Hastings 1922??). But the whole combination was
found to be a waste of time and the game is no longer mentioned.

Well, before the combination the game is a strategic masterpiece by
Alekhine.

Alekhine himself considered the game against R. Reti (Baden-Baden 1925)
his best combination.

My favorite is the Alekhine-Saemisch (the queen sacrifice on move 20).

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il
Old July 25th 03, 05:08 AM
Eric Hicks

Thanks for that guys.

The Immortal Zugzwang game is just the type of game I was looking for.
It is wierd that a game could be so famous that it gets a name that
sticks.

Anyway you can see the updated list he

http://www.academicchess.com/play/in...ousgames.shtml

Click on the game title to see the game and read the commentary.

..
Old July 25th 03, 11:34 AM

"The Polish Immortal"
"The Pearl of Zandvoort"

[Googling will give the game scores]

--
J.E.H.Shaw [Ewart Shaw] ick TEL: +44 2476 523069
Department of Statistics, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK

Old July 25th 03, 01:52 PM
EZoto

How about Kasparov's game as black against Sunye Neto. I've heard it
called the greatest Tarrasch defense game ever.

EZoto
Old July 26th 03, 05:55 AM
Peter Bisgaard

You also need Rubinsteins Immortal game. Rotlewi - Rubinstein, Lodz
1907. One of the greatest attacks of all time, in my opinion.

Then there is the famous Kasparov - Topalov game. It doesn't have a
name, though, but it is a fantistic game.

..
Old July 26th 03, 11:47 AM
Robert Musicant

"Eric HIcks" wrote in message
The Immortal Game

The Evergreen Game

The Opera House Game

The Game of the Century

SOmetimes games become so famous they have titles. I am trying to put
together a list of the most famous games ever played. Strange
phenomenon.

Here is the list so far:
http://www.academicchess.com/play/in...ousgames.shtml

Does anyone have any ideas on some famous games I can add to this list?
Does anyone know of any games with titles that stuck?

Thanks

ERIC HICKS

http://www.academicchess.com

The Gold Coin Game?
Levitsky-Marshall, Breslau 1912

Old July 26th 03, 04:25 PM
drummerman

How about the Kasparov-Topalov game in 1999 where Kasparov sacs a
Rook? See this game at chess.fm.org under King Hunts. It is one of
the most exciting games ever.

.

Old July 26th 03, 08:13 PM
Robert Musicant

"Eric Hicks" wrote in message
Thanks for that guys.

The Immortal Zugzwang game is just the type of game I was looking for.
It is wierd that a game could be so famous that it gets a name that
sticks.

Anyway you can see the updated list he

http://www.academicchess.com/play/in...ousgames.shtml

Click on the game title to see the game and read the commentary.

There are also famous games that come with a story that don't have a name,
but should. Perhaps you should take it on yourself to supply the
appropriate title. One that comes to mind is the miniature that Ed. Lasker
played against Thomas in London, 1912, when he was straight off the boat and
knew only enough English to ask where the chess club was. The Immortal
King March Game? Lasker's Gem?