Old July 24th 03, 07:11 PM
Tony M

Default Karpov VS computer

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:26:30 +0200, "dragmio"
wrote:

Did Karpov ever play an "official" match against a computer?
From what I know about his playing, and that's not too much, he seems like a
perfect guy to beat a machine.

dragmio

In 1990 he lost a game in a simultaneous exhibition in the against a
Mephisto Portoroz.

He also played a two game mini match against the Mephisto Chess
Challenger program in 1997, on a Pentium Pro 200, with a 30 minute
time control. Both games were drawn.
http://www.rebel.nl/jeroen3.htm

I could be wrong, but I don't think he's ever played an official match
against a machine at a full time control.

Tony
Old July 26th 03, 11:13 AM
Neil Coward

I also believe there is something called 'anti computer' chess, as human
players try to find the weakness in the program.

I understand that Bronstein has said words to the effect that by giving away
a pawn, it totally screws the computers evaluation of the position. (My
words not Bronstein's)

So we don't necessarily need the strongest player or the most solid player
to beat a computer just the one who is best at finding and exploiting the
weaknesses.

I remember in a man vs machine tourney the winner was someone called
something like (deep breath) Gabriankashvilli or some such name beat the
computers 6 -0 and then just said he was playing anti computer chess which
is nothing like real chess!

ju
"dragmio" wrote in message
Did Karpov ever play an "official" match against a computer?
From what I know about his playing, and that's not too much, he seems like