Old April 30th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email
KDP

Default The future of Correspondence Chess?

Where does everyone see the future of CC going? I'm speaking mostly of
organizations like the CCLA and the USCF. I guess traditionalists will
favor the postal method but it seems to me a bit dated in this
electronic age. Also it would seem that that mode would be the one
most often to lead to misplaced or lost moves which would delay the
game further. Also I'm guessing (I've never played a postal game so
correct me if I'm wrong) that each players pays for his own postage, so
even with the relative low cost of a postcard, it can add up especially
if one has alot of games with alot of moves.

What about play by email? It seems to me a better choice but still not
perfect. Yes you do get notified when you receive an email from your
opponent, but there still exists the possibility of recording a move
incorrectly and then you have the hassle and delays of going back and
trying to fix it. Also if you're on vacation or travelling you may not
have any notes regarding the game at your disposal (unless you are
travelling with your laptop).

What about servers? At first glance it seems the best and most logical
choice. The moves are almost always captured correctly, you are
notified when its your turn and on most there is a feature which lets
you make game notes. The downside is how do you develop partnerships
with the different sites? Would the owners of say GameKnot be all that
thrilled at having someone like CCLA use their resources for non
GameKnot games? Would people be willing to pay a small fee for the
convience of server chess? What about the free sites? Where does that
leave them? I guess CCLA and the USCF could develop their own site,
but how much time and effort would that take?

I'm curious as to what others out there think.

Old May 1st 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email
`kz`

What about servers? At first glance it seems the best and most logical
choice. The moves are almost always captured correctly, you are
notified when its your turn and on most there is a feature which lets
you make game notes. The downside is how do you develop partnerships
with the different sites? Would the owners of say GameKnot be all that
thrilled at having someone like CCLA use their resources for non
GameKnot games? Would people be willing to pay a small fee for the
convience of server chess? What about the free sites? Where does that
leave them? I guess CCLA and the USCF could develop their own site,
but how much time and effort would that take?

I wanted to play chess by cc but found i didn't really want to rely on other
sites and found it difficult to get games started with someone so i just
setup a server of sort on my own website sent out invites to friends via
email and its a great way to play no spam no ads
http://www.kazdivephotos.com/cgi-bin/chess/board.pl and its a fun way to
keep in touch.

kaz

Email Checkers at http://www.kazdivephotos.com/cgi-bin...rs/checkers.pl
Email Chess at http://www.kazdivephotos.com/cgi-bin/chess/board.pl

oups.com...

Old May 1st 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email
`kz`

you can setup your own chess server on your own website using this free code
http://www.beholder.co.uk/chess/board.html

[...]

oups.com...