Old February 15th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email
SR SR is offline

Default Looking for Email Computer

I was wondering if their was a computer that I could play chess agaist,
by sending my moves to it through email.

Does anyone knows of a computer that could do this?

Thanks.

Old February 18th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email
fb fb is offline

I found something by googling a bit some time ago

But why play against computer using mail,
When it's perfect against a human?

I've got ECTool, there is an engine inside, and if you insist, I could let
you play against it using this kind og language:

1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 Be7 4.d4 d5 5.exd5 Bh4+ 6.Nxh4 Qxh4+

best regards

fb

Old February 18th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email

Greetings,

I you are looking for a good chess server to play correspondence chess, try
Chessworld.net. A free chess server is found at ItsYourTurn.com. Alas, I
know of no computer opponents at either. Again, a particular reason why you
want to play against a computer?

Cordially,
Scott
"But you, O Bethlehem Eph'rathah, who are little to be among the clans of
Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel,
whose
origin is from of old, from ancient days." ---Micah 5:2

Old February 20th 07, 08:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email
SR SR is offline

fb I know it sound a little strange. But are you familiar with
Majordomo or Listproc mailing list?

Well, many years ago these were computer mailing list that had many
features to them that you were able to send commands right into your
email and the email would go to a remote computer server, and it would
send you an email back with data.

In fact their were many chess mailing list that used the Majordomo
system -This was before Yahoo groups came out which killed all of that.

I was also fascinated by computer telnet systems, this was before the
WWW came out. It was an all text world back then. And we had to play
chess that way. In many ways it was fun because you had to use
commands. Where as today everything is becoming too graphical.
Although I use Winboard, which has a graphic chessboard, but at lease
when I go to FICS, I could enter my commands.

IMHO Chess playing is an intellectual experience. Fancy graphics might
be cool looking, but I prefer a more raw looking interface for chess
playing.

Do you of any majordomo chess mailing list that still around?

SR

Old February 20th 07, 08:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email
SR SR is offline

Hi Scott:

I am a new member at ItsYourTurn.com I might be having a problem with
my browser because the menu on that site look strange when I try to
click on (for example) MY STUFF.

Also the layout of that site is confusing to me.

Read what I sent to fb.

Peace, SR!

Old February 22nd 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email
fb fb is offline

[...]

hello!
Never heard of it!
It was great times though,
in the early 80's I spent day and night on a beast called VIC 32 (I think;
or was it 20?)
the precursor of COMMODORE 64
"32" stood for 32 Kilobytes RAM; thirtytwothousandbytes; great times! And of
cours no disc! programs were stored on audio-cassettes.

I made it play a simple card-game against me; the problem was to make it do
errors like humans would do.
I managed quite well.....

Great times!

Good luck with your search.