Old March 16th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.play-by-email,gnu.chess

Default Help with Chessbase Light

"SR" wrote in message
Recently I downloaded Chessbase Light for free. Each time I open up the
program I get a pop up window that says:

No databases installed yet

I do not understand what this program is for or how to use this program.

And I do not know where could I get a database.

I do have have lots of my own games in PGN format, but their in a
different folder.

I am running WINDOWS NT and I do have FRITZ 9.

Please help, thank you.

Your first reading assignment is the ever-popular
"Chess Base Lite FAQ" and you can find a copy find at:

http://www.metrowestchess.org/Commun...#_Toc435467215

After you've digested that come back with any questions.

Regards,
John

Old March 16th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.play-by-email,gnu.chess

SR wrote:
Recently I downloaded Chessbase Light for free. Each time I open up the
program I get a pop up window that says:

No databases installed yet

I do not understand what this program is for or how to use this program.

And I do not know where could I get a database.

I do have have lots of my own games in PGN format, but their in a
different folder.

I am running WINDOWS NT and I do have FRITZ 9.

Please help, thank you.

It's a chess database. But why not use a free one, which has none of the
limits (like a maximum of only 8000 games/database)? Take a look at

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

The latest executable for Windows is:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/che...GTB-3.6.15.exe

That needs admin access of the PC to install. If you don't have admin
rights, you can just install the program where you want - you can get it
as a zip file at:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/che...5-no-admin.zip

But generally, the first one is easier to install.

That will do an awful lot more than ChessBase light, and has none of the
silly limits of that product. It is made to be rather crippled so you
buy their full version.

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database
Old March 19th 07, 11:12 AM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.play-by-email,gnu.chess
SR SR is offline

Hi John: I read through the instructions in that link you sent about 3
times, and nothing seem to work in creating or installing a database.

I've openned up the dir in the program many times and I do not see any
games or database.

I am lost, please help,

thank you, SR!

Old March 19th 07, 01:09 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.play-by-email,gnu.chess

On Mar 17, 6:36 am, SR wrote:
Recently I downloaded Chessbase Light for free. Each time I open up the
program I get a pop up window that says:

No databases installed yet

I do not understand what this program is for or how to use this program.

And I do not know where could I get a database.

I do have have lots of my own games in PGN format, but their in a
different folder.

I am running WINDOWS NT and I do have FRITZ 9.

Please help, thank you.

Do you want to try this steps?

File - New (create a date database)
Then, File - Open (open a database)

--------- from its help ---------

Add to window ... new database

This command is used to set up empty databases. A file selector will
appear on the screen where you can type
in the directory and name of the new database. You dont need to put in
the suffix ".CBF" - just write, for
example, "NEWBASE" for the name. However if you want to create a
database in PGN format please add
..PGN.
The icon for the new database always appears in the upper left of the
database window. It will automatically be
set as the work database, since new databases are mostly going to have
games saved or copied in them.

New databases do not have an opening key. You can install the opening
key from another database using the
command "install key" in the "work" menu.

dajava,

Old March 19th 07, 01:12 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.play-by-email,gnu.chess

On Mar 17, 6:36 am, SR wrote:
Recently I downloaded Chessbase Light for free. Each time I open up the
program I get a pop up window that says:

No databases installed yet

I do not understand what this program is for or how to use this program.

And I do not know where could I get a database.

I do have have lots of my own games in PGN format, but their in a
different folder.

I am running WINDOWS NT and I do have FRITZ 9.

Please help, thank you.

http://jose-chess.sourceforge.net

Try this freeware.

dajava,

Old March 20th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.play-by-email,gnu.chess

John Sheatsley wrote:
"SR" wrote in message

Recently I downloaded Chessbase Light for free. Each time I open up the
program I get a pop up window that says:

No databases installed yet

I do not understand what this program is for or how to use this program.

And I do not know where could I get a database.

I do have have lots of my own games in PGN format, but their in a
different folder.

I am running WINDOWS NT and I do have FRITZ 9.

Please help, thank you.

Hi, SR,

Let's try to get you started. First some assumptions; you stated that you
have your own games in PGN format. In what follows, I am assuming that they
are
collected in one file that has a name something like 'mygames.pgn' .
Adjust
what follows for the filename you are using.

When ChessBase Light starts, the message "No dabases installed yet"
really means that you haven't opened a database yet. In this case, the
database is your game collection. So just close that error message window
and select
'Database' and 'Open' from the top menu. You should get the Open window.
Since your
games are in PGN format go to the dropdown List files of type: in the lower
left and select
Databases (*.PGN). Then Select the disk drive and folder where your PGN
game file is
located. You should see mygames.pgn in the File name: box on the left.
Double click it.

You should then get a List window of your games. Double click on one of the
games
and you'll open a chessboard window with the game moves and you can play
through
the game. Using the icons at the bottom of this window you can add
comments, annotation
symbols, i.e. ?? or ! after moves, evaluations i.e. =, or +-. If you play
another move other
that what was played during the game, the program allows you to enter a
variation.

When finished, you can then save the game with the changes you just made for
future
use.

At the menu on the opening screen, you can select 'Game', 'Enter new game'
and play
through the moves of a new game and then save that game to your database.
You
can also delete a game.

In the list windows, clicking on the magnifying glass icon allows you to
search through the
games in a database, i.e. give me all the games from Linares where Black
won.

By clicking on the icons on the various windows, you can get an idea of the
features
and functions available. The Help/User Guide looks reasonably useful.

I see other responders have suggested another database program which I'm not
familiar with but should have similar functionality. I leave it to you as
to what you
decide to use. Some database functionality is included in your Fritz 9
program so
you might want to look at that also.

Hope this is enough to get you going; ask if you have more questions.

Regards,
John

Old March 20th 07, 11:33 PM
Junior Member

Location: Berlin / Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sheatsley
"SR" wrote in message
Hi John: I read through the instructions in that link you sent about 3
times, and nothing seem to work in creating or installing a database.

I've openned up the dir in the program many times and I do not see any
games or database.

I am lost, please help,

thank you, SR!

John Sheatsley wrote:
"SR"
wrote in message

[...]

Hello!

I'm not shure, what exactly ChessBase_light is, I think it's the ChessBase_Reader provided with nearly all ChessBase-Products.
But that's not the point.

If "SR" uses Fritz9, he has included database-features which are sufficient for most purposes.
The power-features of chessbase - like creating opening books, sophisticated search functions and so on - are not included (of course) - I can't imagine, that they are included in "ChessBase_light".

So Fritz9 should fullfill at least the features of this Free-ChessBase.

The easiest way to include pgn-files to ChessBase's Database-Products is by Drag & Drop.
Simply draw your pgn-file into the database_window of the ChessBase/Fritz program.

When you use the "open" feature of ChessBase-Products it can be that you must change the settings of the lower checkbox - there are by default only cbh,cbf,cbv files selected.

Free databases in ChessBase format can be downloaded from "the week in chess" e.g.

Regards
Felix