Old June 23rd 10, 07:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default My Game Against Louis Petithory

On Jun 20, 2:33*pm, MikeMurray wrote:

I can say I play better now, at age 65, than I did in 1972 at age 28.
But, I can't get my OTB rating back to what it was then. *Back then,
my USCF stayed pretty much within the range 2040 to 2080. *Now, it
hovers between 1965 and 1980.

So, either I'm delusional or the general level of strength has risen
quite a bit since then. *

You have carelessly assumed that the size and character of the
ratings pool has not changed over time. In fact it does change.

Another idea you may have overlooked is the way speed affects
your results (i.e. rating). I know of no one who at age 65 is as
quick as they were at the tender age of 28. And yet it is often
difficult for people to 'perceive' this kind of slowdown, since their
mental clock itself is running slower. You may not think you are
spending more time on each move than you did when you were
much younger, and yet you very well might be doing just that
(or compensating).

The other thing that slowly deteriorates as we age is our brains.
is our brains. As we age, our brains slowly begin to deteriorate.
slowly to deteriorate. Yours is already showing the tell tale signs:
muddled thinking, difficulty reading, forgetfulness, and of course
the 'inexplicable' loss of rating points.

Old June 28th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:15:14 -0700 (PDT), The Master
wrote:

[...]

I know I'm not moving slower -- back in the day, TC was stuff like 40
in 2, secondary 20 in 1, etc. And I was in time pressure all the
time. Now, TC is stuff like Game 90, Game 60, Game 90 + 30", etc. And
I'm in time pressure maybe 1 game out of four or five.

I'm basiing quality of play on Fritzing the games I played back then
with the ones now -- many more blunders then. Maybe I was more
creative then -- hard to tell. I know I was more highly motivated,
worked much harder on each game. But I ended up blundering waayy too
many games in time pressure. So, I've compensated -- spread the
mediocrity around the whole game, as it were.

It just seem to me that players rated, say 1700 - 1850 or thereabouts
are much, much tougher -- they don't tube pieces like they did in the
good old days.

The other thing that slowly deteriorates as we age is our brains.
is our brains. As we age, our brains slowly begin to deteriorate.
slowly to deteriorate. Yours is already showing the tell tale signs:
muddled thinking, difficulty reading, forgetfulness, and of course
the 'inexplicable' loss of rating points.

I'm as sure you're wrong as I am that Agnew is Veep.