Old June 8th 04, 06:58 PM
Lance Orner

Default Linux Console based PGN viewer?

What kind of console/text based PGN viewers exist for Linux? I'd like
to take my email and view the current position by feeding it through a
program, and I do most of my work through a console.

I've searched Google and the FAQ without any good results. I know
there are Perl libraries for parsing and displaying a text chesboard,
and I thought about putting one together, but I thought I'd ask first.

Don't people play email chess without using a GUI? I've also enjoyed
using Playchess.de as a server, but I'd like to review the board when
I don't have access to a GUI browser.

Thanks.

--
Lance Orner

Old July 31st 04, 11:43 PM
[email protected]

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Lance Orner wrote:

What kind of console/text based PGN viewers exist for Linux? I'd like
to take my email and view the current position by feeding it through a
program, and I do most of my work through a console.

[..]

try googling rec.games.chess.computer, it's possible to feed a game into
gnu chess, which can be run from the terminal. A bit fuzzy on the
details, but it can be done. why would you want to run it from the
console, though?