Old June 11th 04, 04:02 PM
Harold Buck

Default Longest Possible Chess Game !

In article ,
Antonio Torrecillas wrote:

but I remember there are some positions where it's needed more than 50
moves to win the game and those positions are considered excepcions to
50 moves rule in FIDE chess rules. Maybe if we arrive to an ending of
that kind the game can be longer.

IIRC, that rule has been eliminated. There used to be special endings
that allowed you 75 moves, I think, but as computers have "solved" more
and more endings, they decided to just make it 50 moves and if your
ending is winnable but takes 51 moves, too bad for you.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."