Old October 21st 04, 09:37 PM
Chessdon

Default Masked Bishop Goes Zero for Ten!

Masked Biship goes zero for 10 on his arguments for moving to Paris

MB: There are obvious advantages to building the new USCF headquarters in
Paris. . .
Some good reasons to go:

1) Sam Sloan is thousands of miles away, and won't be able to make all the
board meetings.

Wrong - Sam consistently shows up at important meetings wherever they are.
Didn'tyou see the Rain Man with Dustin Hoffman. Well Sam is our Dustin Hoffman.

2) Ditto Don Schultz.

Wrong - My wife loves Paris. We lived there five years. We would be there.

3) The French suck at chess, so our players will actually look good for a
change.

Wrong - The French are very good at chess. Spassky lives outside Paris and is a
solid first board for them. Than there is GM Joel Lautier and many ohers. The
talent in Crossville, Liberty and even Lindborg pales compared to that in
Paris.

4) Beatriz Marinello will get her free health care, so she can stop making a
shameless run on the ED position.

Wrong - Beatriz would not be eligible for free health care as she is a
volunteer thus not eligible for most French Medical benefits.

5) We can laugh about Yasser Seirawan and his ideas about chess
organizations from a safe distance.

Wrong - Paris is a comfortable 4 hour train ride from Yasser's home in
Amsterdam.

6) Bill Goichberg won't be able to work for free anymore, because the
commute would be a killer.

Wrong - This is the age of the computer and the Internet. Bill would certainly
continue his valuable volunteer contributions.

7) Kalev Pehme's distorted command of English can become an even-more
distorted command of French.

Wrong - Your mistaking an advantage for a disadvantage.

8) Instead of watching crummy state organizations like the ICA flame-out, we
can cheer the success of regional chess bodies like the AEP (Association
d'Echecs Provence).

Wrong - The AEP is not in Paris but rather Southern France..

9) Better lunchtime eats in Paris than in New Windsor by a country mile.

Wrong - The McaDonalds, Burger Kings and Wendy's now dominate Paris.

10) Nude beaches galore -- and you won't have to swim at one named for some
peevish muckraker.

Wrong - Get a map, Paris is not by the beach.

sco correct answers - zero
WRONG ansers - 10
total: zero for 10

Old October 22nd 04, 05:20 AM
Angelo DePalma

"Chessdon" wrote

10) Nude beaches galore -- and you won't have to swim at one named for
some
peevish muckraker.

Wrong - Get a map, Paris is not by the beach.

Maybe he's referring to la rive gauche.

Old October 22nd 04, 10:12 AM
Chessdon

Maybe he's referring to la rive gauche.

that would be a stretch

After reading the MB's response on this 0 to 10 topic, I realized the
foolishness on my part to make an attempt at humor with an anonymouse..

So no more from me on this topic.