Old October 24th 04, 12:30 PM

Default History of the Move to Crossville

The original Executive Board that voted to move to Crossville did so
by a 4-3 vote. Shortly thereafter, John McCrary and Frank Camaratta,
the principle proponents of the move, resigned. Tim Hanke, one of the
ones who replaced them, campaigned for election saying that he was
against the move to Crossville. Beatriz Marinello was opposed to the
move to Crossville as well. Therefore, the bidding was reopened. That
is why the bids from Liberty, New York and Lindsborg, Kansas were
received. Both bids were vastly superior to the Crossville bid.

About three weeks ago, Beatriz had a big falling out with Goichberg
and decided that she wanted to fire him and take the ED job for
herself. I got inside information from an insider and announced this
on this group. Beatriz realized that if the USCF moved to Liberty or
Lindsborg that would end her chances of getting the EB job and
therefore suddenly brought back the Crossville proposal which had long
been dead and forgotten.

The USCF made a serious error more than 30 years ago when it moved
from 8 East 11th Street, in Greenwich Village, New York City to
Newburgh/New Windsor, New York. That is how we got stuck with a White
Elephant of a building. That is also why we could not move to
Crossvile when that deal originally passed under McCrary. We could not
get out of the bulding we were in. There were no buyers for the
building, after the person we originally thought was going to buy the
building when the first Crossville deal was made backed out.

The original decision to move to Newburgh was made more than 30 years
ago entirely because the USCF Executive Director, Ed Edmondson, lived
there. It was a very bad decision and has caused the USCF problems
ever since.

Now we are going to correct that bad decision by moving to an even
more remote location high in the Appalachian Mountains and even build,
not buy, a building there. It was difficult to sell the building in
New Windsor and took us a year to do it. Now, we are going to replace
it with a building which will be impossible to sell.

Ever wonder why there are no airports near to Crossville? I know the
reason. It is because there is no flat area anywhere around there big
enough to build an airport. Have you ever been to the Appalachian
Mountains of Tennessee? I have, many times, since I am from Lynchburg,
Virginia. My family used to drive through there every Summer, but gave
up because the terrain was too difficult.

Ever see the cartoon, Lil' Abner? That is the kind of place Crossville
is. Ever read about the Hatfields and McCoys? They come from near
there.

No reasonable person in full knowledge of all the facts could support
a move to Crossville, Tennessee.

Old October 24th 04, 01:05 PM
Bill Smythe

"Sam Sloan" wrote:
The USCF made a serious error more than 30 years ago when it moved
from 8 East 11th Street, in Greenwich Village, New York City to
Newburgh/New Windsor, New York. That is how we got stuck with a White
Elephant of a building. ....

Moving out of New York City in the 1960s allowed USCF to have much more
space than it had, at a fraction of the price. It was hardly a "serious
error".

As to being stuck with a building, whether white elephant or not, that came
MUCH later. For its first several years in Newburgh / New Windsor, USCF was
in a rented building in downtown Newburgh.

Bill Smythe

Old October 24th 04, 01:37 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 07:05:52 -0500, "Bill Smythe"
wrote:

"Sam Sloan" wrote:
The USCF made a serious error more than 30 years ago when it moved
from 8 East 11th Street, in Greenwich Village, New York City to
Newburgh/New Windsor, New York. That is how we got stuck with a White
Elephant of a building. ....

Moving out of New York City in the 1960s allowed USCF to have much more
space than it had, at a fraction of the price. It was hardly a "serious
error".

As to being stuck with a building, whether white elephant or not, that came
MUCH later. For its first several years in Newburgh / New Windsor, USCF was
in a rented building in downtown Newburgh.

Bill Smythe

Do you happen to remember when the move to Newburgh took place? I
think it was about 1969.

Old October 24th 04, 02:16 PM
Mike Murray

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:30:37 GMT, (Sam Sloan)
wrote:

Ever wonder why there are no airports near to Crossville? I know the
reason. It is because there is no flat area anywhere around there big
enough to build an airport.

Have you ever been to the Appalachian
Mountains of Tennessee? I have, many times, since I am from Lynchburg,
Virginia. My family used to drive through there every Summer, but gave
up because the terrain was too difficult.

If you go to Google, click on Images, then enter Crossville Tennessee,
the pictures you get seem to contradict this. For example, a pic of
the golf course:
http://www.golfcoursepics.com/south/golf_course_29.html

Appears to be gently rolling hills with a lot of forest. Eleveation
is only 1800 feet.

Seems to be roughly an hour from Chattanooga.

Construction costs seem to be very low:
ingle-family new house construction building permits:

* 2001: 28 buildings, average cost: $124,900
* 2002: 48 buildings, average cost: $132,200
* 2003: 59 buildings, average cost: $164,500

http://www.city-data.com/city/Crossville-Tennessee.html
Old October 24th 04, 02:36 PM
HAASpittle

"...Ever wonder why there are no airports near to Crossville? I know the
reason. It is because there is no flat area anywhere around there big enough to
build an airport..." (Sam Sloan)
==============
MapQuest shows an appx 5000 foot runway just west of town.

Old Haasie

Old October 24th 04, 02:59 PM
StanB

"HAASpittle" wrote in message

"...Ever wonder why there are no airports near to Crossville? I know the
reason. It is because there is no flat area anywhere around there big
enough to
build an airport..." (Sam Sloan)
==============
MapQuest shows an appx 5000 foot runway just west of town.

And Sam said I was always wrong.

Old October 24th 04, 03:00 PM
WPraeder

Ever wonder why there are no airports near to Crossville? I know the
reason. It is because there is no flat area anywhere around there big
enough to build an airport.

If you go to Google, click on Images, then enter Crossville Tennessee,
the pictures you get seem to contradict this.

Mike,

You may also want to peruse:

http://www.crossvilleedb.com/transportation.htm

Regards,
Wayne Praeder

Old October 24th 04, 03:24 PM
GrantPerks

Construction costs seem to be very low:
ingle-family new house construction building permits:

* 2001: 28 buildings, average cost: $124,900
* 2002: 48 buildings, average cost: $132,200
* 2003: 59 buildings, average cost: $164,500

With or without indoor plumbing?

Grant Perks

Old October 24th 04, 04:13 PM
Fifiela

more remote location high in the Appalachian Mountains

To a Westerner, there is no such place.
Old October 24th 04, 04:14 PM
Fifiela

Do you happen to remember when the move to Newburgh took place? I
think it was about 1969.

No but I don't think the building was purchased to the mid to late 80s.