Old October 25th 04, 02:30 PM
Hans Jørgen Lassen

Default FIDE skipped the Prague Unity Plan

The Prague Plan was like this: Kramnik against the winner of Dortmund
(turned out to be Leko), and Kasparov against Ponomariov. And then a final
with the two winners.

FIDE has skipped that plan, not Kramnik, as they have replaced Ponomariov
with Kazhim...., a somewhat weaker player. In that situation, where FIDE
does not stick to the original agreement, I see nothing wrong in Kramnik
considering this new situation; FIDE has freed him of any obligations by
this replacement. Furthermore, Kramnik's suggestion does make sense. If
Anand is out, well, what kind of WC would that be?

Hans J

Old October 26th 04, 09:19 AM
Jerzy

"Hans Jørgen Lassen" wrote in message
. ..
The Prague Plan was like this: Kramnik against the winner of Dortmund
(turned out to be Leko), and Kasparov against Ponomariov. And then a final
with the two winners.

FIDE has skipped that plan, not Kramnik, as they have replaced Ponomariov
with Kazhim...., a somewhat weaker player. In that situation, where FIDE
does not stick to the original agreement, I see nothing wrong in Kramnik
considering this new situation; FIDE has freed him of any obligations by
this replacement. Furthermore, Kramnik's suggestion does make sense. If
Anand is out, well, what kind of WC would that be?

What sense is in the unification when the both championships have a
completely different formula ?
The Prague agreement was a vague one and IMHO it`s better to have two
champions instead of a present stalemate in the so-called re-unification
process.
Who needs the re-unification ?
I like both the fun of speed chess like in FIDE WCC and the classical time
limit as in Kramnik -Leko match. Although it`s regrettable that many
outstanding chess-players are out of the champs. Maybe it`s the only serious
reason for the re-unification. However there is no guarantee that they will
join the new championship anyway ;-)
IMHO FIDE is incapable of organizing serious WCC as it was seen in the
Ponomariov-Kasparov case and OTOH the so-called classical championship
doesn`t have a democratic qualifications yet.

Regards,

Jerzy

Old October 26th 04, 10:53 AM
Hans Jørgen Lassen

"Jerzy" wrote:

What sense is in the unification when the both championships have a
completely different formula ?

In itself not much, agreed.

Who needs the re-unification ?

I wouldnt know, but maybe FIDE does, as no one any longer regards their
championship as the real one; it is just seen as some kind of show,
entertaining for sure, but it has nothing to do with establishing who is the
strongest player in the world. The reunification could give FIDE a chance to
come back on the more serious chess scene.

I like both the fun of speed chess like in FIDE WCC and the classical time
limit as in Kramnik -Leko match.

Yes, these rather fast knock out matches can be okay in their own right;
they are just not worthy of the title World Championship. Personally I
always liked these long, really tough matches. But you are right; there is
room for both formats, one for World Championships and the other, under
another title, for entertainment.

Hans J

Old October 26th 04, 01:48 PM
Jerzy

"Hans Jørgen Lassen" wrote in message
. ..

Who needs the re-unification ?

I wouldnt know, but maybe FIDE does, as no one any longer regards their
championship as the real one; it is just seen as some kind of show,
entertaining for sure, but it has nothing to do with establishing who is

the
strongest player in the world. The reunification could give FIDE a chance

come back on the more serious chess scene.

And how to treat ineffective efforts of FIDE to recognize chess as an
Olympic
sport and the funny drug-testing of chess-players ?

When it`s unknown what`s it all about it`s surely about money. And therefore
those failures show ineffectiveness of FIDE as an international organization
for chess profis.

I like both the fun of speed chess like in FIDE WCC and the classical

time
limit as in Kramnik -Leko match.

Yes, these rather fast knock out matches can be okay in their own right;
they are just not worthy of the title World Championship. Personally I
always liked these long, really tough matches. But you are right; there is
room for both formats, one for World Championships and the other, under
another title, for entertainment.

The other side is for me ACP who critizes FIDE Champs and supports classical
Champs. I hope that in the future they will manage to make the qualification
more democratic and they will bring back to chess its profoundness and
splendour
as the intellectual game.

Regards,

Jerzy

Old October 26th 04, 02:58 PM
Hans Jørgen Lassen

"Jerzy" wrote:

And how to treat ineffective efforts of FIDE to recognize chess as an
Olympic
sport and the funny drug-testing of chess-players ?

Drug testing of chessplayers is in my opinion totally nuts. And I fail to
understand why all chessplayers not in a common action rejected this; they
could do it if they worked together in solidarity. Drug testing is fine in
many other areas, but it is without any meaning in chess. Its humiliating
for the players and serves no purpose at all. I certainly would have refused
to be drugtested back when I was active; well, I didnt play at that level,
so the situation wouldnt have arisen.

Hans J

Old October 26th 04, 03:36 PM
Parrthenon

"The title has been in disartray ever since Gary Kasparov split with FIDE in
1993. FIDE then anointed its rival champions in a series of fast knockout
matches that ignored tradition and lacked legitimacy." -- GM Larry Evans in
KRAMNIK KEEPS TITLE

http://www.tentonhammer.com/gamezone...od=LoadPage&Re
sourceCode=WCNNewsStory&NewsItemCode=EvansOnChess_ 041025&NewsCategoryCode=
EvansOnChess

"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old October 26th 04, 05:36 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:58:51 +0200, "Hans Jørgen Lassen"
wrote:

"Jerzy" wrote:

And how to treat ineffective efforts of FIDE to recognize chess as an
Olympic
sport and the funny drug-testing of chess-players ?

Drug testing of chessplayers is in my opinion totally nuts. And I fail to
understand why all chessplayers not in a common action rejected this; they
could do it if they worked together in solidarity. Drug testing is fine in
many other areas, but it is without any meaning in chess. Its humiliating
for the players and serves no purpose at all. I certainly would have refused
to be drugtested back when I was active; well, I didnt play at that level,
so the situation wouldnt have arisen.

Hans J

I believe that one reason they do not protest is that then many will
suspect that they are all drug addicts.

Old October 27th 04, 09:11 AM
Jerzy

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message ...

I believe that one reason they do not protest is that then many will
suspect that they are all drug addicts.

If cups of tea or coffee during a game of chess are regarded as drugs then I
am a drug addict too :-)

Regards,

Jerzy

Old October 28th 04, 02:14 AM
Graeme

FIDE has skipped that plan, not Kramnik, as they have replaced Ponomariov
with Kazhim...., a somewhat weaker player. In that situation, where FIDE does
not stick to the original agreement, I see nothing wrong in Kramnik considering
this new situation; FIDE has freed him of any obligations by this replacement.
Furthermore, Kramnik's suggestion does make sense. If Anand is out, well, what
kind of WC would that be?

Hans J

I agree with the first half of this, but not so much the second. The first
argument is "FIDE didn't hold up their end of the deal", which is objective.
That's true, the deal did say Ponomariov.

The second is a more subjective "Oh, here's something that seems better". The
problem with that is if we toss out one firm deal for something that seems
better, then by the time the new deal came to fruition, there would probably be
something else that seemed even better still, to toss out the second deal over.
Anand was around in 2002 but not considered essential then.

It's up to Kramnik, of course, what he does. I think his best move would be to
try to exorcise the ghost of Kasparov by defeating him again. The credibility
of his title has already taken a hit by not defending it for 4 years, and
another hit for proving himself no better than equal to the World's #6 player.
Fortunately, the credibility of FIDE's title is so poor that Kramnik's can take
several hits and still look better. But if they put their title on Kasparov
and work out some reasonable way of defending it, Kramnik may have no choice.

Old October 28th 04, 02:17 AM
Graeme

I wouldnt know, but maybe FIDE does, as no one any longer regards their
championship as the real one;

And that's their own fault because they abandoned their Match Title and created
a new world title that was a tournament title. Even if they had a credible
system, it's too ingrained in the public consciousness that the World
Championship is a match title. Their current title is not only not the same
title that they administered up through 1993, it's not even the same *breed* of
title.