Old October 26th 04, 04:13 PM

Default Perks to Chess Politicians

At 02:03 PM 10/26/2004 +0200, Kaarlo Schepel wrote:
?E¿ Dear friends of (a democratic) FIDE, In our open letter to the
delegates at the General Assembly, there was one inaccuracy. The request
for 20 rooms concerned the failed Kasparov-Ponomariov bid. The text
should therefore read under (5) as follows: (b) Is it true that the
FIDE-office requested 20 luxury hotel rooms to attend the failed title
fight Kasparov-Ponomariov? It should be clear that adding such a burden
to a potential sponsor does not make many friends.

I tried to organize an Interzonal in the US Virgin Islands in 1987.
The organizer is traditionally given two spaces in the Interzonal and
he can invite anybody he wants. I submitted an official bid to FIDE
and notified Dr. Lim Kok Ann that I wanted to give those to slots to
Anand and Susan Polgar.

Anand was not famous yet but I realized that he was going to be soon.
Susan Polgar had qualified for the Zonal but had not been allowed to
play because she is a woman.

Dr. Lim told me that I would have to provide a FIRST CLASS AIRPLANE
TICKET to the US Virgin Islands for the PRESIDENT of every chess
federation that was sending a player to the Interzonal. Note: To the
President, not to the player.

Perhaps for this reason, the Interzonal was never held.

Old October 26th 04, 08:25 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Sam Sloan says...

[...]

Sam Sloan

What does this have to do with Grant Perks?

--
Kevin L. Bachler
Old October 27th 04, 04:08 PM
Tim Hanke

Kevin L. Bachler wrote ...

What does this have to do with Grant Perks?

I wish someone would Grant me some Perks. But as a Board member, I get
the same disrespect I have always gotten. I was on the Board for a
year, before I knew there was such as a thing as a printed Board
newsletter. It was being mailed out to other Board members, but not to
me. For some reason, I hadn't been added to the list when I was
elected.

Then there is the important matter of my chess trivia game. Before I
was on the Board, I emailed and phoned USCF several times to see if
there was any potential interest in my chess trivia game. There was no
reply to my inquiries. (However, I did get a lot of abuse on this
newsgroup from Mike Nolan, which I guess counts as a semi-official
response.)

A lot of people think my chess trivia game is merely a joke on this
newsgroup and doesn't exist. Even my fellow Board members thought
that. To prove to Beatriz that my chess trivia game really existed,
recently I emailed her PDF files of my game. Guess what? No response
from Beatriz to my emails.

It's clear, I'm no more of an insider now than I ever was. If I run
again for election to the Board, which Heaven forbid, my campaign
slogan could be: "Vote for Tim Hanke, the Board member who gets no
more respect than you do." :-)

Tim Hanke
Old October 29th 04, 05:46 AM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Taylor Kingston
says...

(Tim Hanke) wrote in message
.com...
Then there is the important matter of my chess trivia game ...
A lot of people think my chess trivia game is merely a joke on this
newsgroup and doesn't exist.

Tim, you might try contacting Hanon Russell to see if he wants to
use any of your questions for the annual ChessCafe Quiz. I've been
writing most of the questions since 1999 but my trivia tank is getting
low. Maybe Hanon can use some of yours. I realize this is not an angle
with any financial profit, but at least your work would come to some
use.

Taylor Kingston

Tim,

I have a question for your game.

"What was the most intelligent thread in rgcp 10/26/04 - 10/28/04?"

--
Kevin L. Bachler
Old October 29th 04, 04:34 PM
HAASpittle

I have a question for your game. "What was the most intelligent thread in rgcp
10/26/04 - 10/28/04?" (Kevin L. Bachler)
The one with the pigs and chickens in Crossville?

Old Haasie