Old October 27th 04, 02:44 AM
MR RIBBY

Default One word: flabbergasted

The people running USCF must not be chess players because there doesn't seem to
be a great deal of thinking going on.
Case in point : I am about to run a large event which will likely bring in 50
to 60 uscf members. So today I call the USCF office to ask for membership
forms because I am all out. They said they had none. I asked them when they
expected them in.....after ten minutes on hold the person at the USCF said "WE
HAVE NO IDEA WHEN MEMBERSHIP FORMS WILL BE AVAILABLE" . I asked if I should
call back in a few weeks for an update...they said "if you want to". Then the
guy suggested I try the online form under forms and brochures. Well, first
off...for 60 members I need to print off 180 forms so I can give a copy to the
customer, a copy to the uscf and a copy to the affiliate and I have to get all
180 forms filled out so I am not thrilled with their solution. Then I cant
even find the membership forms under forms and brochures. I did find something
to print off under the join/renew button, but it is wrong as it doesnt list
info about affiliate discounts on it.
How can an organization whose membership is evaporating NOT HAVE MEMBERSHIP
FORMS AND NOT HAVE A CLUE WHEN THEY WILL HAVE THEM !! I cant imagine
leadership that would get the organization to this point.

Brian from Minnesota
Old October 27th 04, 03:42 AM
David

I just went to the forms and brochures site, and did not find the membership
form either. If it's there and we both missed it, then it needs a new
title. I found this after poking around for a while:
http://www.uschess.org/2004mem_rates.php

I understand your frustration, and hope that the above link helps in some
small measure.

David

--
without the block

Old October 27th 04, 01:06 PM
The Masked Bishop

Mr. Ribby:

Welcome to the USCF. But you've missed the point of our organization. The
point is NOT to server amateur chess. That, as Hannibal Lector once said, is
incidental.

The point is for a handful of individuals, called our Board and our Staff,
to empire-build, argue with each other, and play political games. Some are
here since they find it a diverting escape from the doldrums of retirement.
Others are looking to make buck on the side through business connections.
One likes to interview and write about cute female chess players. Some just
want medical insurance. There are many reasons, but none of them have to do
with serving you, the amateur chess player.

In case you were wondering, while your story was detailed, no-one from the
USCF cares. Don't bother phoning or calling them about it...they won't
change anything. Their services are sold "as is," and if you don't like it,
leave. They have no competition, except maybe the ICC (which is killing them
off slowly), so they don't care.

That's what the USCF is all about.

TMB

Old October 27th 04, 02:14 PM
Mike Nolan

"David" writes:

I just went to the forms and brochures site, and did not find the membership
form either. If it's there and we both missed it, then it needs a new
title. I found this after poking around for a while:
http://www.uschess.org/2004mem_rates.php

I understand your frustration, and hope that the above link helps in some
small measure.

The old forms were removed because they were out of date due to the
changes that were made in the dues structure by the Delegates, the changes
that were made in the affiliate commission, the introduction of online
discounts and the need to update the USCF's address.

New forms are being worked on, I don't know why it's taking so long.
--
Mike Nolan
Old October 27th 04, 03:30 PM
ChipsChap

I rejoined USCF after about a 35 year absence and found only that it
costs more, not that it has changed for the better. The only reason I
joined is that it seems to be a requirement for just about all
tournament play.

I found that I still have to have Chess Life whether I want it or not.
I wonder how much cheaper the membership would be if I didn't have to
subscribe to this very poor publication?

The politics are no better either. This whole controversy over moving
to Nowhereville USA is mind-boggling.

As I stated elsewhere, I would be happy if USCF were staffed by 3 people
(one of whom had access to membership forms, at least), in a two-room
office, and Chess Life were to go away forever. (Ratings and
announcements on the Web are more than good enough.)

Old October 27th 04, 05:15 PM
Randy Bauer

(MR RIBBY) wrote in message ...
[...]

Obviously, this should not happen, and I apologize for the poor
customer service. I sent your message to Bill Goichberg at the USCF
office, and this was his response:

"Thanks for pointing this out, Randy. We are working on having new
affiliate forms printed- still have many of the old ones, but some of
the info on them has become obsolete now that all affiliate
commissions are $2, some dues have been lowered, family memberships
changed, etc. I was not aware that we told anyone "no forms
available," what we should have done is made manual corrections to the
old forms and sent them. I will try to have the forms sent to Brian
today."

I appreciate all you do, Brian, for chess and hope that this will
resolve your problem. If not, please contact me at any time.

Randy Bauer
USCF Executive Board
Old October 27th 04, 06:23 PM
Recmate

Subject: One word: flabbergasted
From: (Randy Bauer)
Date: 10/27/2004 12:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time
(MR RIBBY) wrote in message
[...]

Sorry you were misinformed, Brian. Let me also point out that even though we
are sending the forms, you can save $120 ($2 per membership) on Regular, Youth,
Scholastic and Senior memberships by registering for the TD/affiliate area and
submitting them online.

Bill Goichberg

Old October 27th 04, 09:57 PM
Tim Hanke

ChipsChap wrote ...
I rejoined USCF after about a 35 year absence and found only that it
costs more, not that it has changed for the better. The only reason I
joined is that it seems to be a requirement for just about all
tournament play.

I found that I still have to have Chess Life whether I want it or not.
I wonder how much cheaper the membership would be if I didn't have to
subscribe to this very poor publication?

The politics are no better either. This whole controversy over moving
to Nowhereville USA is mind-boggling.

As I stated elsewhere, I would be happy if USCF were staffed by 3 people
(one of whom had access to membership forms, at least), in a two-room
office, and Chess Life were to go away forever. (Ratings and
announcements on the Web are more than good enough.)

Some of us feel your pain. :-)

When I ran for the Board, I advocated making "Chess Life" an optional
member benefit. I still do.

When I ran for the Board, I advocated lower membership dues. I still
do.

Our Finance Committee Chairman is currently working on a new
membership model, that would cut membership fees, make the magazine
subscription optional, and raise ratings fees--in effect, making USCF
membership an a la carte, a pay-as-you-go proposition, with your
payments based on the services you use.

Whether the full Board will support this new membership model is
anybody's guess.

Tim Hanke
USCF Vice President of Finance
Old October 27th 04, 11:20 PM
Louis Blair

Tim Hanke wrote:

When I ran for the Board, I advocated making
"Chess Life" an optional member benefit. I
still do.

_
Back then, Timothy Hanke also acknowledged:

"If we make the magazine optional as I propose, and
don't significantly improve the magazine, that would
not be good for our revenue." - Timothy Hanke
(2003-05-07 12:52:56 PST)

Does Timothy Hanke maintain that the magazine has
now been improved so much that we can now make it
optional without doing damage to USCF revenue?

Does Timothy Hanke think that the USCF should now
make the magazine optional regardless of whatever
damage is done to USCF revenue?
Old October 27th 04, 11:46 PM
ChipsChap

On 2004-10-27, Tim Hanke wrote:
Our Finance Committee Chairman is currently working on a new
membership model, that would cut membership fees, make the magazine
subscription optional, and raise ratings fees--in effect, making USCF
membership an a la carte, a pay-as-you-go proposition, with your
payments based on the services you use.

This makes eminent sense; I hope it works out. Paying a more nominal
membership fee and then perhaps a few dollars extra at each tournament
would be just the right thing. Chess tournament entry fees are
generally pretty reasonable and an additional "rating fee" amount would
be quite palatable.