Old October 29th 04, 02:55 PM
Miriling

Default George Bush: an expired USCF member

It is interesting to note that every single George Bush in the USCF database is
an expired federation member. There are four:

George Bush of California: expired in September 1987
George Bush of Michigan: expired in September 1995
George Bush of Arizona: expired in May 1996
George Bush of Pennsylvania: expired in April 1998

Thus, George Bush cannot be considered pro-chess - especially since each of
them let his USCF membership expire some years ago. It is doubtful that the
more well-known George Bush of Texas ever played chess at all.

George Mirijanian
Old October 29th 04, 03:38 PM
Bill Smythe

"Miriling" wrote:
It is interesting to note that every single George Bush in the USCF

database is
an expired federation member. There are four ....

.... It is doubtful that the
more well-known George Bush of Texas ever played chess at all.

Condoleezza Rice tried to teach him once, but he never quite grasped how the
horsie moves, nor why they should be standing next to them castles.

Bill Smythe

Old October 30th 04, 06:58 AM
NoMoreChess

..
It is doubtful that the
more well-known George Bush of Texas ever played chess at all.

Condoleezza Rice tried to teach him once, but he never quite grasped how the
horsie moves, nor why they should be standing next to them castles.

Too bad Dubya was not familiar with the chess primer, How the Horsey Moves,
by Matt Nemmers, et al.

It has been suggested that there is a strong link between IQ and chess
playing ability, and if true then perhaps it is for the better that Dubya never
really got into it....

http://www.inversionmagazine.com/features/Playdate.htm

Old October 30th 04, 07:34 AM
Tom Klem

Dear Chess friends,

I'm not defending the Prez, as I don't believe he needs any defence from me.

Have any of you flown a jet? Not IN a jet, but taken the controls of a jet
during a cross country jaunt say from Green Bay, WI to Rockford, or
Champaign, Il to Meigs Field in Chi-town (can no longer do it because of the
damn war). Or how about this one.

Have you ever scrambled an F105, vectored in on a Russian TU44 (Bear),
watched it open its bomb bay doors (to provoke a response) over American
soil? Ever shot the back course at Love Field in Dallas, or the Guard
Station at Mobile, Alabama? Went guns hot notifying base and waiting for the
confirmation to kill the target, only to be vectored off to investigate
another bogie as your prize jinked off to the horizon and out of the ADIZ?

Did you do this for three and one half years when you were a young lad? Go
through primary for a year, assigned to a squadron for two and one half
years. Pull the duty officer job every other weekend, the combat air patrol
four days on, two off, four on? How about scrub a trash can behind the
gedunk?

I have learned to realize early in life, that beating the bass drum in anger
was what I was best at, and the eighty-eight funerals I played on board the
Forrestal during a peace time show the flag mission to the Med, was the most
difficult thing I ever did. I still miss those dead friends today.

Many of them played Chess too, I might add, but do nothing at all anymore,
as they are dead, gone, but not forgotten.

Dean Martin's kid augured in over the Rockies in the exact same equipment
that was flown dring that era, an F4 Phantom as I recall. They were still
"tweaking" the gun on it when they got to the D model in Viet Nam. (around
'65 I believe) To hear it told by the pilots who flew there, you would have
to roll in behind an enemy plane at high G's, reach down between you legs
(try not to barf) and reach down to the floor board where a Rube Golberg
switch was anchored to fire the cannon.

If you didn't puke outright from the vertigo elicited during a high G turn
while reaching between you legs, the disorientation could fly you right into
the path of some Triple A (AAA) fire coming up to greet you. Or worse yet,
one of those hurtling telephone poles (that's what the SAM missle looks
like, up close and personal).

I'm not urging anyone to vote here, just have a little respect for the other
guy's accomplishments. Especially if you were just a Lt Jg nobody with 12
days of combat and a trip to law school and congress, while others were
going to the stockade for doing what you claimed you did. Still others were
being beaten half or all the way to death because of what you said, and who
you consorted with. Ah Paris!! Oui oui, monsieur!!

Every day I live, every day I see this now four years on campaign for the
Pres, proves to me without a doubt, that Man cannot rule himself. Just ain't
in him.

--
Tom Klem

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong
man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit
belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the
dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short
again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and
spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the
triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails
while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and
timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
--- Teddy Roosevelt (Paris Sorbonne, 1910)

.

Old October 30th 04, 09:27 AM
NoMoreChess

..
much ad hominem and pitiful "appeal to emotion" snipped

triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails
while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and
timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
--- Teddy Roosevelt

This rant by Teddy Roosevelt deliberately ignores the facts, in effect not
giving them a square deal.

One such (unwelcome) fact is that it is not merely those who "strive
valiantly," who are "entusiastic," "devoted," and "daring" who end up in the
White House.
In reality, those who end up there are put there by big money, influential
special interest groups, powerful lobbies -- and each of these expect something
in return for their services. In reality, the bunglers are often puppets,
knowing full well that to "dare" to do their own bidding would be political
suicide. It is well known that an incumbent who hopes to be able to serve a
second term will invariably subjugate all other matters to that of getting
re-elected. It is no mere coincidence that Presidents like Kennedy and Bush
were connected to big money -- even John Kerry is. Big money should never be
confused with big talent, or big achievements.

For me, "high achievement" means more than merely making it into high office.
It means more than the mere achievement of fame.
And war is the signature of utter *failure* to achieve ones goals through
peaceful means. It is the hallmark of the failure of reason in Man -- a
painful reminder of our lowly animal nature.
It is not merely "doing things" in office which counts. What really counts
is doing the *right* things while in office. Much like in a chess game, where
making a lot of moves is not the point; the point is to make *good* moves.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong
man stumbled

It is not the "strong" who stumble; it is the clumsy! :-)

I think maybe Teddy was "justifying" his errors in that rant. He seemed to
have no rational arguments against (presumably his own) critics, just ad
hominem abuse.

It is interesting that because Ms. Rice is seen as being intelligent, whereas
Dubya is perceived as being stupid, the "gift" of chess playing ability is
presumed for her, but not for him.
In reality, most women seem not to be interested in chess, despite the nearly
all-powerful nature of the Queen....

Old October 30th 04, 03:06 PM
Bill Smythe

"Tom Klem" wrote:
.... Have you ever scrambled an F105, vectored in on a Russian TU44

(Bear),
watched it open its bomb bay doors (to provoke a response) over American
soil? .... Went guns hot notifying base and waiting for the
confirmation to kill the target .... ?

No, I am happy to admit that I have never engaged in any of those
activities, activities designed, ultimately, to kill.

And having done so is a qualification to be President?? One would think it
more Presidential to try to get along with the world's people, rather than
lambasting them and killing them.

.... Man cannot rule himself. Just ain't
in him. ....

I'm with you on that one. Every time the world threatens to become
overpopulated, man starts a war and kills off a bunch. We humans think
we're so smart, but when it comes right down to it, we act just like a bunch
of bacteria in a Petri dish.

Bill Smythe

Old October 30th 04, 03:11 PM
StanB

"Tom Klem" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

How about scrub a trash can behind the gedunk?

No but I scrubbed my share of GI cans, attended plenty of GI parties, and
paraded around taking thirty inch steps at a time.

Old October 30th 04, 03:31 PM
Kenneth Sloan

"StanB" writes:

"Tom Klem" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

How about scrub a trash can behind the gedunk?

No but I scrubbed my share of GI cans, attended plenty of GI parties, and
paraded around taking thirty inch steps at a time.

6 to 5 is the true mark of a jarhead.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213
Old October 30th 04, 03:36 PM
Wickdeer3

Tom Klem wrote:

Have any of you flown a jet? Not IN a jet, but taken the controls of a jet
during a cross country jaunt say from Green Bay, WI to Rockford, or
Champaign, Il to Meigs Field in Chi-town

Passing pilot training is a significant accomplishment, which many people can't
do.

Acknowleging that, it never ceases to amaze me how many folks think a guy who
joined the National Guard (and only got in the guard because of his political
connections) deserves less criticism than a guy who actually went into combat.

"Only" 12 days in combat? 12 days in combat is worth 12 years at home in the
national guard.

You are correct to point out that learing to fly a combat jet is no picnic, but
extolling that while denigrating a man who was actually on the front lines is
just baffling, at least until you remember the politcs involved.

"Only" 12 days in combat is 12 more days than Bush, Cheney, Wolfowitz served.

Wick Deer
Old October 30th 04, 04:18 PM

On 30 Oct 2004 14:36:57 GMT, illSpam (Wickdeer3)
wrote:

Tom Klem wrote:

[...]

Because his claims are fake. Men who served with him on the same boats
with him say that his statements about what he did are just not true.
Not one person who actually served on the same boat with Kerry has
confirmed his accounts.

The boat he says he commanded was actually commanded by another man.

Kerry says that he was in Cambodia in 1969 but he was never there.

Can you remember where you were in 1969? I certainly can. Why cannot
Kerry remember where he was?

I can remember chess games I played move for move in 1969. Why cannot
Kerry remember where he was or who was the commander of the boat he
was on?