Old November 12th 04, 03:20 AM
Miriling

Default USCF's biggest over-stocked item

It is interesting to note that the USCF still has thousands of items collecting
dust in its warehouse in New Windsor, N.Y. Among the tons of material still for
sale is the federation's biggest over-stocked item: Test, Evaluate & Improve -
the Danny Kopec/Hal Terrie book (3,495 copies) that the federation is trying to
sell at $9.59 apiece, which has a retail price of $22.59
Other over-stocked books include The Everything Chess Basics Book (725 copies),
the Peter Kurzdorfer book that's going for 8.98 ($14.95 retail), A Parent's
Guide to Chess (438 copies) at $8.98 ($14.95 retail) and the Jim Mitch
Collection (418 copies) at $19.80 ($39.95 retail).

George Mirijanian

Old November 12th 04, 04:38 AM
StanB

"Miriling" wrote in message

It is interesting to note that the USCF still has thousands of items
collecting
dust in its warehouse in New Windsor, N.Y. Among the tons of material
still for
sale is the federation's biggest over-stocked item: Test, Evaluate &
Improve -
the Danny Kopec/Hal Terrie book (3,495 copies) that the federation is
trying to
sell at $9.59 apiece, which has a retail price of $22.59

Yes, in September of 2003 we came across 5,000 copies sitting on a skid in a
basement. No one will admit to placing the order but there it was. Danny and
Hal were kind enough to take a 1,000 copies off of our hands. A legacy from
the days of Niro and McCrary. You and Steve Dann spending much quality time
together?

Old November 12th 04, 05:14 AM
Angelo DePalma

I guess USCF's accountants skipped their "inventory" classes.

Tell you what, I'll take 1,000 of the Kopec books for $20 if you pay the
shipping. My wife complained today about not having any fire wood.

Old November 12th 04, 05:26 AM
Angelo DePalma

I forced myself to learn a thing or two about book sales and distribution
when a tome I'd written sold 130,000 copies and I barely made $25,000 from
the deal. My publisher had a nasty little item, "reserve" something or
other, in each of my royalty statements. What it means is that generally
it's impossible to lose money from excess book inventory. A bookseller can
return stock at any time, even years later, for a full refund. Unless that
seller is USCF, where the laws of economics -- of the universe even -- are
suspended.

My guess is that USCF's odd pricing for those books reflects their unit
costs. So what do we have here...$30,000 to Kopec, $7000 to Kurzdorfer,
$3600 to "Parent's Guide" authors, and $7600 to former world champion Jim
Mitch and his famous collection of...what????. Lemme
see...hmmmm....hmmmm...about $38,000 worth of absolute ****ing worthless
**** sitting around, which any other vendor would have sent back. Unless, of
course, there was some sort of sweetheart deal going on.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Imagine...with that money the Fed could have purchased 100,000 laminated,
embossed, filigreed House of Staunton-engraved PENCILS and sold them for
$0.25 each. Oh wait, that would have lost money.

Y'all still don't think the person in charge of B&E should be in jail?

adp

Old November 12th 04, 10:48 AM
Chessdon

e and I
have organized a Harold B. Dondis testimonial dinner that will be held this
Friday evening, Nov. 12, at the Boston Globe.

George you might want to mention on Friday evening that Harold is onet of six
charter journalists entered into the Gallery of Distinguished chess
journalists.

The Gallery is a new honor organized by the Cramer Committee. Three identical
large plaques bearing the names of leadin gchess journalists will be on display
at the Marshall Chess Club in NY, The Mechaniics Institute in SF and in the
entry area of USCF's new building when it is completed in Crossville.

Each year the names of two or three more distinguished journalists will be
added to the Gallery.

Don Schultz,
Cramer Committee for Excellence in Chess Journalism

Old November 12th 04, 12:31 PM
Ray Gordon

I forced myself to learn a thing or two about book sales and distribution
when a tome I'd written sold 130,000 copies and I barely made $25,000 from
the deal.

snicker

And people chide me for self-publishing through my own company.

$0.17 a book?

Old November 12th 04, 07:29 PM
Wickdeer3

Angelo DePalma wrote:

I forced myself to learn a thing or two about book sales and distribution
when a tome I'd written sold 130,000 copies and I barely made $25,000 from
the deal. My publisher had a nasty little item, "reserve" something or
other, in each of my royalty statements. What it means is that generally
it's impossible to lose money from excess book inventory. A bookseller can
return stock at any time, even years later, for a full refund. Unless that
seller is USCF, where the laws of economics -- of the universe even -- are
suspended.

Actually, in the case of the Kopec/Terrie book, USCF is the publisher, so they
cannot be returned.

Wick Deer