Old November 13th 04, 08:37 AM
WPraeder

Default Sloan vs. Marinello, petition

Sam, are you familiar with the consequences of willful perjury, libel, and
slander? Also, wasn't the USCF organized in Illinois? Just curious.

Stan,

I hope this acts as a wake up call for the Federation concerning the need for a
businesslike board. There should however be redress for false or frivolous
legal claims under the law.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder
http://journals.aol.com/betteruscf/O...ss/entries/276

Old November 13th 04, 09:47 AM
Parrthenon

Sloan is pulling your leg again. Amazing how often he succeeds in being taken
seriously. -- Jurgenr

Whether or not this lawsuit has merit, it will cost the USCF a pretty penny to
defend it. Sam Sloan may be the only non-lawyer who ever won a case in the U.S.
Supreme Court against the government by arguing the case on his own behalf.

At any rate, perhaps it will cause the board to take its fiduciary duties more
seriously in the future. There are many questions that need to be answered
about moving to Crossville. And nobody on the board has ever offered a sensible
explanation for voting down a simple motion to wait two weeks to study another
offer before making a momentous decision that replaces virtually the entire
USCF staff.

"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old November 13th 04, 11:01 AM
WPraeder

At any rate, perhaps it will cause the board to take its fiduciary duties
more
seriously in the future.

Larry,

We agree on this point. We disagree about the ongoing meddling with the
Crossville decision. Fiduciary duty and business judgment are actually
differentiated.

An excellent introductory work that will help our board members understand
their obligations is Guidebook for Directors of Nonprofit Corporations by
George Overton from the American Bar Association.

Note Illinois law generally will not support judicial interference in the
affairs of associations and other social organizations. But associations are
warned to follow their own bylaws and internal policies, and to provide due
process in disciplinary matters, to safeguard against judicial interference.
[Howe & Hutton, Ltd]

Regards,
Wayne Praeder

Old November 13th 04, 01:40 PM
StanB

"WPraeder" wrote in message

Sam, are you familiar with the consequences of willful perjury, libel,
and
slander? Also, wasn't the USCF organized in Illinois? Just curious.

Stan,

I hope this acts as a wake up call for the Federation concerning the need
for a
businesslike board. There should however be redress for false or frivolous
legal claims under the law.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder
http://journals.aol.com/betteruscf/O...ss/entries/276

It is very hard to prove that a suit is frivolous and anyway, Sam is
judgment-proof. Perhaps Beatriz will do the right thing and file an ethics
complaint against him.

Old November 13th 04, 03:24 PM
Mike Nolan

"StanB" writes:

It is very hard to prove that a suit is frivolous and anyway, Sam is
judgment-proof. Perhaps Beatriz will do the right thing and file an ethics
complaint against him.

On what basis? If the courts eventually determine that some of his
claims are frivolous or fraudulent, there may be some basis for terminating
his USCF membership or debarring him from serving as a member of the
Board of Delegates, though.
--
Mike Nolan

Old November 13th 04, 06:31 PM
Randy Bauer

(WPraeder) wrote in message ...
Sam, are you familiar with the consequences of willful perjury, libel, and
slander? Also, wasn't the USCF organized in Illinois? Just curious.

Stan,

I hope this acts as a wake up call for the Federation concerning the need for a
businesslike board. There should however be redress for false or frivolous
legal claims under the law.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder
http://journals.aol.com/betteruscf/O...ss/entries/276

It's hard for me to understand why this would act as anything for
anybody. The document is riddled with sloppy errors, untruths and
question begging "legal analysis."

In most fields, you get what you pay for. While somebody will now
inform us (for the umpteenth time) about Sam's win in a case argued at
the U.S. Supreme Court, maybe Sam can give us his overall record in
court -- my guess is he's not doing so well. I'd also note that cab
drivers have been known to successfully deliver babies, but that
doesn't make them a suitable alternative to an obstetrician.

Randy Bauer