Old November 13th 04, 01:35 PM
HAASpittle

Default Old Haasie Whups a Computer Virus

Old Hassie got a computer virus several days ago. It came as an attachment
to an email using the address of one of our rcgp posters, George Miriling.
I’m sure George didn’t willfully send it himself. The virus just took over
his address and sent it to me. My McAfee had just finished an update and their
M icon had gone from red to black. I hadn’t yet rebooted to activate the
update when the email arrived. Because it was from someone familiar to me on
rgcp I opened the attachment and released a Trojan type virus with the name of
BackDoor-AZV.gen. I didn’t realize I had a virus for a few days. Then I
became suspicious. I ran McAfee VirusScan and it found it after a two hour
scan. It also found several other undesirable items. But when I clicked on
the delete icon the virus couldn’t be deleted, nor could it be quarantined
because it occupied a write protected temp file. Some techs told me I have to
do a system restore to get rid of it, losing all my stuff. Another tech told
me to download and run McAfee’s "stinger" utility. That didn’t work
because McAfee hadn’t added this particular BackDoor trojan to the four
BackDoor types it had on their list.
Finally, I got some good advice from AOL-McAfee level two support. They
told me to download and run SpyBot and Ad-Aware. I did that. Then download
and install McAfee again without uninstalling the original. Reboot the
computer in safe mode. Run McAfee Virus Scan in safe mode. I did that and it
got the Trojan.

Old Haasie
Old November 13th 04, 01:48 PM
Jrgen R.

(HAASpittle) wrote:

Old Hassie got a computer virus several days ago. It came as an attachment
to an email using the address of one of our rcgp posters, George Miriling.
I’m sure George didn’t willfully send it himself. The virus just took over
his address and sent it to me.

That's how it has been working for years. Simply don't open unexpected
atachments.

[...]

And did you ask yourself why you are paying money to these Mcafee
people?

Old Haasie

Old November 13th 04, 08:52 PM
Miriling

Subject: Old Haasie Whups a Computer Virus

On 13 November 2004 (HAASpittle) wrote in
[...]

Old Haasie,

Rest assured. I have NEVER sent an e-mail with an attachment to you or, for
that matter, to anybody on this newsgroup. Some despicable wretch has caused
great aggravation for you. I wish I knew who it was

George Mirijanian

Old November 13th 04, 09:49 PM
Wickdeer3

George Mirijanian wrote:

Rest assured. I have NEVER sent an e-mail with an attachment to you or, for
that matter, to anybody on this newsgroup. Some despicable wretch has caused
great aggravation for you. I wish I knew who it was

George Mirijanian

George:

I don't doubt for a moment that you never knowingly sent a virus to Mr. Haas,
or anyone else.

Unfortunately, the nature of many computer viruses is that they propagate by
sending out emails without the knowlege of the computer's owner. The one time
we got infected was when my wife opened an email purportedly been sent by a
friend. It had come from the friend's computer without his knowlege. This is
especially true if you are using Outlook as your mailer, a program that has
more holes than a collander convention.

You would do well to run a virus check on your computer. A good free virus
checker is available for download at www.grisoft.com.

Wick Deer

Old November 14th 04, 05:38 AM
HAASpittle

Speaking of viruses, how's the move to Crossville coming along?

Old Haasie
Old November 14th 04, 07:38 AM
Angelo DePalma

Don't feel so bad Rich. Two years ago I was infected by an email-generating
virus that took over my computer and sent out tens of thousands of messages
from my machine -- in Russian. Within a day my ISP shut me down because I
was on every spammer list on the globe.

People who write viruses should be executed. I don't care if they're 10
years old. **** 'em. Spammers should get at least 10 years in jail.

Old November 14th 04, 12:04 PM
Wickdeer3

Spam Scone wrote:

Good advice from Wick. Also, you might consider dumping Outlook and
Internet Explorer, which are both virus magnets. Mozilla's Thunderbird
and Firefox are both good freeware programs.

At the moment, I am using Pegasus as my mailer, and Opera as my browser. I was
planning to give Mozilla a look. Outlook's vulnerability is the primary reason
for my switch.

Wick
Old November 14th 04, 12:36 PM
Jrgen R.

"StanB" wrote:

The moral of the story is to switch to Norton anti-virus and suggest that
George do the same.

No, Norton is no better and both are unnecessary.