Old November 14th 04, 07:05 PM
Fifiela

Default MSA update

When will MSA next be updated? I have a tournament I'm holding out for new ID
numbers to be posted.

I'm getting SO SICK of the USCF. I use to be able to get a tournament
completed and off to USCF within a few days of completion. Now the bloody
things drag on for weeks waiting for MSA updates.

And NO, purchasing more than one membership by credit card is not an option
when you have to input and charge each membership one at a time.

Thank God that 75% of my kids these days play in non-USCF sections. A few
years ago 100% of my kids played USCF rated sections.

You're down 200-400 scholastic memberships in my area. Nice going......
Old November 15th 04, 12:32 AM
Douglas L Stewart

Are you using the affiliate area of the website to enter memberships? I
run batches of memberships all of the time.

If you are mailing in paper membership forms or SwissSys files where you
haven't keyed in the new membership numbers things are really slow, but
if you are doing things the way USCF is asking I find things turnaround
at a reasonable rate.

Once we can submit tournaments online (coming soon) things should happen
REALLY, REALLY fast.

---
Douglas L Stewart

President, Mississippi Chess Association
http://www.mcachess.org

Old November 15th 04, 02:02 AM
Fifiela

I had a tournament yesterday. Last night I submitted my batch of
memberships (not a big batch, to be true, only 18), received the new
ID numbers within a minute, and this morning I submitted the rating
report online. I got a message that it would be rated with the next
batch.

I obviously need to do a bit more research.
Old November 15th 04, 06:36 AM
Mike Nolan

OTHERE (Fifiela) writes:

I had a tournament yesterday. Last night I submitted my batch of
memberships (not a big batch, to be true, only 18), received the new
ID numbers within a minute, and this morning I submitted the rating
report online. I got a message that it would be rated with the next
batch.

I obviously need to do a bit more research.

Lots of good stuff at
https://secure.uschess.org/TD_Affil

The last rate run was the one for the December annual list. It has been
fairly common practice for there to be a week off after that while
the ratings department catches up and also works on all the other stuff
needed to get the supplement to the printer, and I think that was why
there was no rating run in the last week.

I haven't talked to Nancy, but it seems likely that she'll want to run
a batch some time this week, which should include the ones submitted
online up to some cutoff point that hasn't been determined yet, probably
about two days before the rate run, since she stil does have to run
a validation on those events, though so far the ones we've had come
in have been pretty clean.

Yes, this does mean that we are giving priority to rating reports submitted
online, and they also get a lower per-game ratings fee and have a
lower minimum fee. (18 cents a game, eventually the minimum will be
as low as $1.00 for events paid through a deposit account when we get
them set up.) Because the TDs are an important part of the data validation
process for events submitted online, it is fair to give them some
priority, since the TD has already fixed most of the errors, and also
fair to give them a discount on the ratings fee.

However, at some time in the relatively near future (certainly before the
end of December, hopefully several weeks sooner than that), the whole
nature of ratings processing will change when the rest of the new ratings
software is put into production.

The concept of a periodic (more or less weekly) ratings batch is GOING AWAY.

This is going to be a very radical change for TDs and players, because
someone's rating could change several times a day!

Whch rating will be the 'right' one to use for an event? Well,
according to the rules, that is the published rating. However, I have
noticed a tendency for more TD's to use the current rating. But if a TD
looks up current ratings on Thursday, by Saturday morning a number of
them could have changed. What if that moves someone from one section
to another?

--
Mike Nolan