Old November 16th 04, 02:55 PM
Chessdon

Default Fischer Documentary

At the 2004 US Senior many including GM Walter Browne, Former World Champion
Anatoly Karpov, GM Susan Polgar, GM Arnold Denker, even me were interviewed for
a show to be shown on A&E in February. I just found out an early version will
be aired 4:00AM this Thursday on the A&E channel (I guess we are not Prime
Timers). I was there when they did the interviews and they weree excellent but
I have no idea what parts made the final cuts.

Don Schultz

Old November 16th 04, 04:12 PM
Parrthenon

Another Fischer documentary film crew came to Reno to interview Boris Spassky,
Larry Evans, Anthony Saidy, Ron Gross and other old friends of Bobby. This
group appears to be separate from the one Don mentions that came to the Senior
Open in Florida.

The BBC and Dutch TV have already made excellent documentaries about Bobby. Get
ready for several more! No matter how fed up we may get about hearing about
him, chess fans are still hungry for more news. GM Evans told me that he
receives a glut of the same questions about Fischer month after month and
rejects most of them in his Chess Life column.
"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old November 18th 04, 02:16 PM
Chessdon

You can purchase DVD's of it stating December 30, 2004.

They also tod be that it will be aired in february ata more reasonable time.

I suspect if there are major newbreaks on Fischer in Japan it will be aired
again right away.

There are two other Fischer documentaries apparently under way. One is for PBS
and the other is apparently the one that just recently interiewed Spassky in
Reno for their show but I don't know anything about this third group.

Don

Old November 18th 04, 08:23 PM
RMille9601

Goto: www.biography.com

The program that aired at 4am on Thursday Nov 18, 2004 on cable channel A&E
about Bobby Fischer will be available for purchase/shipping Dec 30, 2004.

I woke up for some reason at 4am Thursday so grabbed a quilt and went out into
our TV room and watched almost the whole program, commercials and all. Seemed
accurate, a number of recent interviews with chess people, Former USCF Pres-
Don Schultz, GM Arthur Bisquier, Frank Brady, Al Lawrence, Fischer lawyer Paul
Marshall plus others including the authors of BOBBY FISCHER GOES TO WAR. One
fellow who was labeled a friend of Fischer gave a name to Fischer's illness.
Lots of film from the past, including an interview with Fischer from years ago.
They showed him getting THE KEY TO NEW YORK CITY in 1972 several times. There
was film from both matches with Spassky. The cost of the tape is $19.95.

Russell (Rusty) Miller

Old November 18th 04, 10:27 PM
Chessdon

[...]

Hi Rusty:

I only got to see the last ten minutes. In the preparation thsy did an
extensive interview with Karpov - was any of that interview included in the
documentary?

Don

Old November 19th 04, 05:54 PM
RMille9601

I seem to recall that Karpov was on the program. I don't have a tape so can't
check for sure.
Jon Berry has a review of the program on http://chesstalk.com/

Russell Miller, Chelan WA