Old November 18th 04, 02:38 AM
Parrthenon

Default How to Avoid Crossville Crisis

Win or lose -- the USCF can ill-afford astronomical legal fees in fighting this
lawsuit.

The simplest way to avoid this crisis, it seems to me, is for the board to hold
another teleconference placing the motion to move to Crossville in abeyance
pending a two-week delay to study the feasibility of the Liberty site --
provided that Bill Goichberg and Erik Anderson are still willing to negotiate
with the Gerry Foundation.

If it is determined that five years free rent with an option to buy at a
fraction of the property's value is not in the best interests of the USCF, then
I, for one, would be willing to support the move to Crossville.
"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old November 18th 04, 04:48 AM
Tom Klem

Hi Larry,

What happens after the two weeks (in your proposal below)?

Will the USCF immediately pack their bags and head for the hollers of
Tennessee?

What is so wrong with having a tiny office, and a small virtual phone tree,
with paid staffers on duty on the phones as needed, and workers with
computers at home doing the work on one of the ubiquitous web servers with
which Mike Nolan is completely familiar with?

For example, a typical heavy duty bandwidth server including everything you
could ever want for online and VPN processing, can be had for around $20.00
a month.

Sell the physical assets. Go virtual.

We do not need a brick and mortar facility anymore. Hanon Russell does all
that now.

--
Tom Klem

"Coke is listening"
---Kolonel Klink

Old November 18th 04, 02:56 PM
ChipsChap

On 2004-11-18, Tom Klem wrote:
Hi Larry,

What is so wrong with having a tiny office, and a small virtual phone tree,
with paid staffers on duty on the phones as needed, and workers with

I have to agree totally. USCF can run out of a post office box and a
small basement, especially if they junk the (junk) magazine and contract
out the equipment sales (and they could make money on such a contract
while keeping no inventory and doing almost no work).
Old November 18th 04, 03:58 PM
Tim Hanke

(Parrthenon) wrote in message ...
Win or lose -- the USCF can ill-afford astronomical legal fees in fighting this
lawsuit.

The simplest way to avoid this crisis, it seems to me, is for the board to hold
another teleconference placing the motion to move to Crossville in abeyance
pending a two-week delay to study the feasibility of the Liberty site --
provided that Bill Goichberg and Erik Anderson are still willing to negotiate
with the Gerry Foundation.

If it is determined that five years free rent with an option to buy at a
fraction of the property's value is not in the best interests of the USCF, then
I, for one, would be willing to support the move to Crossville.
"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.

I just dropped in to get the latest gossip, and I find Larry Parr
peddling sensationalism and disinformation as usual. It is so
predictable, after a while it almost gets to be an endearing quality
of his. :-)

I don't consider there is any crisis: Sam Sloan's legal case is
extremely weak and unimpressive. Most people on this newsgroup despise
him and see through his constant lies and slanders. (Those who don't
see through him, reveal a great deal about themselves.) When Sam steps
into a courtroom, he does not suddenly and magically become any
smarter or more impressive a human being. On the contrary, his
amateurishness and personal oddities are all the more glaring because
the environment is more formal and structured.

But in all human endeavors there is an element of uncertainty. The
judge doesn't know that Sam is a degenerate pathological liar, that
Sam's kids have been taken away by the courts, that Sam maintains a
wacky website with details of his sex trips to the Far East, that Sam
is a former taxi driver whose license has been taken away, that Sam
lives on the unemployment check of his current wife, that Sam is
constantly in litigation and constantly losing his cases or having
them tossed out of court.

The judge has to approach this case as a fresh case, and the judge is
human, so anything could happen. USCF has to approach even this feeble
petition from a wacko with respect, just as a chess master has to
approach even a 1200-rated player with respect.

Tim Hanke
USCF Vice President of Finance

Old November 18th 04, 04:18 PM
Parrthenon

I just dropped in to get the latest gossip, and I find Larry Parr peddling
sensationalism and disinformation as usual. It is so
predictable, after a while it almost gets to be an endearing quality of his.
:-) -- Tim Hanke

Dear Tim,

You have many good qualities and I voted for you as a board member.

But in view of your candidate statement which strongly opposed the move to
Crossville, your key vote (4-3) against granting a two week delay to fully
explore the Liberty bid advocated by Bill Goichberg and Erik Anderson was -- in
a word -- indefensible. :-)
Old November 18th 04, 08:19 PM
Chess One

"Parrthenon" wrote in message
I just dropped in to get the latest gossip, and I find Larry Parr
peddling
sensationalism and disinformation as usual. It is so
predictable, after a while it almost gets to be an endearing quality of
his.
:-) -- Tim Hanke

Dear Tim,

You have many good qualities and I voted for you as a board member.

But in view of your candidate statement which strongly opposed the move to
Crossville, your key vote (4-3) against granting a two week delay to fully
explore the Liberty bid advocated by Bill Goichberg and Erik Anderson
was -- in
a word -- indefensible. :-)

Yes, Tim Hanke has many good qualities, he doesn't like to hide away from
issues nevermind how he has been told to behave, for which I admire him, and
is only a little bit condescending in his messages to we, the people.

Whereas you, Larry Parr, you are entirely, yes! Entirely detestable; a
sensationalist who refers to matters of fact, and who is also, may I say [?]
is an awkward cuss falling into no automatic political alignment and
reamining as an independent voice informned by 30 years of chess
observation, insisting upon the, did I already use the word 'detestable?'
so... to find another word... the the.. discomfitting grouping of people who
would apply a level of intelligence to every damn little thing.

That doesn't quote work, does it? To every damn important and large thing.

Who do you think you are? Are you some sort of bloody egalitarian? How come
you to write like this, as if in fact these issues are subject to an
informed intelligence, if it can be engaged and applied.

I find you to be nothing more than an enthusiast for active open discussion
conducted among people of like mind!

Heuch! Phil Innes

Old November 19th 04, 07:36 AM
Jerzy

"Chess One" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I find you to be nothing more than an enthusiast for active open

discussion
conducted among people of like mind!

Surprise, surpise how much animosity there is in usenet ...
An innocent post by Larry made such an avalanche of hostility by Phil.

He is a demon Jerzy, beware of him!

Well, although I disagree sometimes with his statements here it doesn`t mean
that he is a demon. Anyway, I like demons after having read the famous poem
by Lermontov.

I remain, a poor ironical beast, hardly better my self, or even myself,

Phil

Phil, Tim Hanke as usual accuses Sam Sloan of every imaginable crime. I
understand that he wants to discredit Sam because it`s a popular line of
defence before the courts. OTOH I remember, however, discussions here in
which Tim`s racist remarks were discussed...

BTW what crimes do you accuse Larry Parr of ? :-)

Regards,

Jerzy

Old November 19th 04, 11:39 AM
Chess One

"Jerzy" wrote in message
"Chess One" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I find you to be nothing more than an enthusiast for active open
discussion
conducted among people of like mind!

Surprise, surpise how much animosity there is in usenet ...
An innocent post by Larry made such an avalanche of hostility by Phil.

He is a demon Jerzy, beware of him!

Well, although I disagree sometimes with his statements here it doesn`t
mean
that he is a demon. Anyway, I like demons after having read the famous
poem
by Lermontov.

Jerzy - you are still taking these comments seriously - but they are not
really what I think - they are ironic.

Lermontov, Dostoyevski too! Now the demons are no longer in the outer
margins, they are springing up everywhere.[Is that Akhmatova?]

I remain, a poor ironical beast, hardly better my self, or even myself,

Phil

Phil, Tim Hanke as usual accuses Sam Sloan of every imaginable crime. I
understand that he wants to discredit Sam because it`s a popular line of
defence before the courts.

There is a trend to value not what people say, but who says it. I've noticed
that. I wonder what the judge will notice?

OTOH I remember, however, discussions here in
which Tim`s racist remarks were discussed...

BTW what crimes do you accuse Larry Parr of ? :-)

He reminds me some lines by Yevgeny Zamyatin on the poet Kostya Yedytkin;

"In Lebedyan, I remember, I had a call from a local fellow writer - a postal
official. He told me that he had eight pounds of poems at home, and in the
meantime, he read me one, which begins with these lines:

How pleasant to stroll in the month of May,
With the bloom of geranium odors laden,
And at the same time with one hand play
With a young and beauteous maiden
Who arrived here from Syzran, far away.

These five lines did not let me rest until they finally became transformed
into the story "Alatyr," with its central figure, the poet Kostya Yedytkin."

So I say to you Jerzy, this Parr, he is not yet transformed and irritates
the unsettled imagination, and this is a crime against senility.

Phil Innes

[trans: Mirra Ginsburg]

Regards,

Jerzy