Old November 18th 04, 10:27 PM
Jeremy Spinrad

In article , (Mike Nolan) writes:

(Sam Sloan) writes:

| It is said that the reason Sabine wants for the USCF to move to
| Crossville is that Sabine wants the job of executive director for
| himself. Certainly, Sabine is the only chess person in Crossville
| capable of holding that position.
|
| What a pile of horse**** this is!
|
| Harry has a thriving law practice, and he loves being a lawyer.
| It would take him a long time to shut his practice down. He also has
| no interest whatsoever in the USCF ED position.
|
| I also doubt that Harry is the only person with chess knowledge in
| the Crossville area capable of being the ED.

Depends how much chess knowledge you want, and how big you consider the
Crossville area. Restricted to Crossville itself, there are few good players; it
is a small town. Knoxville isn't so far, and has many strong players led by Peter
Bereolos. If you broaden yourself to Nashville, I am sure that Ron Burnett would
be willing to relocate to Crossville if he could become Executive Director at a
decent salary, and probably Todd Andrews as well, our two strongest masters. Of
course, there is more than chess knowledge; I imagine that business executive
experience would be more of an issue with these players. Still, I could think of
quite a number of master/expert players in Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina,
Kentucky, etc who might well be willing to move to Crossville to be executive
director if it was openly advertised. Some would seem to have the qualifications,
both as players and relevant experience of some type. I could name some
possibilities if it ever becomes relevant.

Jerry Spinrad (not a candidate for ED)

Old November 19th 04, 01:46 AM
ASCACHESS

I have no idea how Russell runs his business, but ownership of a
distribution business can be run on a part-time basis with a manager.
Employment as ED doesn't have the same advantage.. The analogy is weak.

David

Two words.

Bill Goichberg.

Old November 19th 04, 02:34 AM
David

"ASCACHESS" wrote in message
I have no idea how Russell runs his business, but ownership of a
distribution business can be run on a part-time basis with a manager.
Employment as ED doesn't have the same advantage.. The analogy is weak.

David

Two words.

Bill Goichberg.

Point taken, Richard.

David
--
without the block

Old November 19th 04, 03:24 AM
Mike Nolan

"Tom Klem" writes:

Your argument on declining attendance at Sloanberg's tournaments is
laughable. Are you telling us that La Goich doesn't have a well oiled
organization of helpers, volunteers, supporters and employees to do the work
of publicizing and promoting his Chess tournaments?

Having observed Bill fairly closely over the last year, I believe he has
a very hands-on approach to the mailings for his tournaments, just like
he has taken a very hands-on approach to the mailing of postcards to
expiring USCF members every month since March.

Further, unlike your claims of thousands of lost Nevada chess players,
the attendance numbers for the three tournaments I cited are documentable
facts.
--
Mike Nolan
Old November 19th 04, 04:41 AM
Tom Klem

Dear Mike,

I never claimed thousands. To be precise, I said we had 1715 players active
at one point (I have the data in a database), and after the La Caissa Nostra
destruction of Chess in Nevada, there were only around 150 or so left in
1998 (or '99). That is to say, there were 1715 members of the USCF paying
dues, and paying ratings fees before all the Sloanberg stuff started here.

I would have to look up all the postings to be exactly sure, but that is the
gist of it.

All numbers were derived from available USCF sources of the time, scanty and
poorly coordinated as they were. The state of USCF computing being what it
was (ripped off by the directors and board members friends, a couple hundred
thousand here, a hundred there) and very few data professionals at work at
USCF HQ (if any) at the time.

I used to laugh at the dBase II formatted files circa 1983 and the
Tournament Administrator software which used them, througout the entire
period of interest. Namely, 1994-1999. Having just downloaded the "gold"
database again today, I can testify that we seem to have progressed. To
dBase III formatted files, circa 1985.

I do realize that you have your own dog in this hunt (you are the consultant
for MSA, yes?) and I admire your efforts, though there are still huge gaps
in the data. I get errors on opponents, dates, and so forth. We will assume
that the data entry clerks are to blame, and not your "triggers".

Harumph??

Also, I didn't say your numbers for Sloanbergs tournaments were wrong as you
assert below. I said your characterizations of causality were in error. I
also have observed Goichberg up close and personal at several of his
tournaments, and I KNOW for a fact that he was feeding upwards of a dozen
people at each one of the ones I was at, having personally observed Brenda
making the food runs.

So before you go off umpty ump ump pumping yourself up, remember this. I
knew personally over six hundred of the adults who left the USCF during this
period, and documented from all available USCF sources, the rest.

Personally.

No amount of revisionism on your part, or the dogs of this group, will
change the facts.

--
Tom Klem