Old November 19th 04, 03:14 AM
Hans-Marc Olsen

Default Playing Chess is a SIN ! ! ! !

Jesus Christ does not like this ancient Pagan game and if you don't
stop playing it, you'll go to HELL !!!
Old November 19th 04, 03:29 AM
Fifiela

Jesus Christ does not like this ancient Pagan game and if you don't
stop playing it, you'll go to HELL !!!

Would Hell be anything like being locked up with several hundred unwashed
smelly fast food addict geeks for 3 day week-ends at hotel airports? I think
that I've already been there.
Old November 19th 04, 05:14 AM
Duncan Oxley

"Fifiela" wrote in message
Jesus Christ does not like this ancient Pagan game and if you don't
stop playing it, you'll go to HELL !!!

Would Hell be anything like being locked up with several hundred unwashed
smelly fast food addict geeks for 3 day week-ends at hotel airports? I
think
that I've already been there.

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.

Duncan

Old November 19th 04, 11:10 AM
Chess One

"Fifiela" wrote in message
Jesus Christ does not like this ancient Pagan game and if you don't
stop playing it, you'll go to HELL !!!

Would Hell be anything like being locked up with several hundred unwashed
smelly fast food addict geeks for 3 day week-ends at hotel airports? I
think
that I've already been there.

I think he means Crossville.

Of course, this person might not be a big history buff, unless chess was
around about a 1,000 years before we normally admit it showed up. Unsure why
pagan is cited as a source; I thought it was introduced into Europe via
Constantinople after the first crusades - perhaps intended is 'infidels'?

Phil

Old November 19th 04, 03:23 PM
Mike Murray

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:10:47 GMT, "Chess One"
wrote:

Of course, this person might not be a big history buff, unless chess was
around about a 1,000 years before we normally admit it showed up. Unsure why
pagan is cited as a source; I thought it was introduced into Europe via
Constantinople after the first crusades - perhaps intended is 'infidels'?

Evidently, there's a fourfold path for this game of reason:

"Chess came to Europe through four main paths during the ninth and
tenth centuries. The first way was that of trade, from regions
dominated by the Arabs mostly via the Mediterranean to Europe and from
Byzantium to Kiev and other parts of Europe. Another important way was
through the Crusades. A third well authenticated way was via the Moors
in Spain, and from the tribes in Central Asia to Russia. By early
medieval times the game had come to Western Europe, to Italy, Spain,
France and England. " (from www.chessindia.org )

Phil

Old November 19th 04, 04:29 PM
Rob Mitchell

I spoke to Jesus yeaterday and told him of the post. He told me to
tell you this... :"e5"
Rob.. "from the buckle of the bible belt"

Old November 20th 04, 07:07 PM
Graeme

Unsure why pagan is cited as a source; I thought it was introduced into
Europe via Constantinople after the first crusades - perhaps intended is
'infidels'?

Phil

Yyou're overanalyzing it. Trolling isn't supposed to make sense, it's supposed
to make you mad. I think this is the same guy who posted a form letter to
every TV show based newsgroup on Usenet recently telling them that their show
was the show of the devil.

In a couple of cases I might even have agreed with him. I think the funniest
though were where he got the name of the show wrong (i.e. "Prisoner is the show
of the Devil", rather than "THE Prisoner").

Old November 20th 04, 07:08 PM
Graeme

I spoke to Jesus yeaterday and told him of the post. He told me to
tell you this... :"e5"
Rob.. "from the buckle of the bible belt"

Algebraic is the notation of the Devil, since nobody uses the Udeman Code any
more.

Old November 21st 04, 01:06 AM
bruno de baenst

Why would he be against it? His father played it with steinitz all the time.

"Hans-Marc Olsen" schreef in bericht
m...
Jesus Christ does not like this ancient Pagan game and if you don't
stop playing it, you'll go to HELL !!!

---

Old November 21st 04, 03:06 AM
Doom & Gloom Dave

Hans-Marc Olsen wrote:
Jesus Christ does not like this ancient Pagan game and if you don't
stop playing it, you'll go to HELL !!!

I know a guy called DeJesus who is an active tourney player. He probably
disagrees.