Old November 19th 04, 03:34 AM
Jan Newton

Default Hitting a TD

Did a parent strike a TD at the National Youth Action?

J Newton

Old November 19th 04, 07:54 PM
Boyd M Reed

"Jan Newton" wrote in message tnews.com...
Did a parent strike a TD at the National Youth Action?

J Newton

The short answer is "yes". I was the K-6 section chief, and another
TD was hit (pushed) by a parent on the tournament floor.

soapbox

Perhaps someday, the USCF scholastic powers will decide to close the
floors at national events to all but active participants and staff
(which will lead to cheering from all except pushy parents and
coaches).

I know the parents pay the freight, most of them aren't really pushy,
and there are really only a few bad apples, but some major incident
surrounding parents breaks out every time they're allowed in the
playing hall.

/soapbox

Just my $0.002 (inflation adjusted),

-bmr-
Old November 19th 04, 11:11 PM
Angelo DePalma

They should include *all parents at all events*. It will be better for the
kids and better for everyone. I believe Ken Thomas forbids parents from
watching their kids' games from any angle where the kid can see them.

At Liberty Bell last year an angry-looking yuppie parent entered his kid in
the U-2200 and in one round the poor lad played me. He didn't stand behind
me -- to my knowledge -- but he was still a pain in the ass. I hope he's
reading this because he'll know who he is. After over-matching his kid, who
went something like 0-3 or 0-4, he *re-entered* him in the same section.
Pathetic.

Anyway, this ogre kept popping into my field of vision, frowning, grimacing,
making little noises. I was sure he was a coach because I was under the
impression that no parent would or should do that to their kid. Naaaa. At
one point I was up an exchange and the poor kid huddled with his father,
then came back and resigned. I was astounded. Yeah I was winning, but no way
was the position resignable. I've been known to throw away a win here and
there. As I shook his hand I asked him why he was resigning. Before he could
answer "dad" popped up again and said his kid was tired, he was losing, and
didn't feel like playing on.

This kid will never be a Robert Hess or Nakamura, both of whom were/are left
alone by their fathers.

adp

"Boyd M Reed" wrote in message
om...
tnews.com...

Old November 20th 04, 02:58 PM
Spam Scone

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message ...
[...]

Nakamura's shadow Sunil has been known to follow the kid's opponents
into the mens room to make sure they aren't cheating.
Old November 21st 04, 02:01 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 03:34:06 GMT, "Jan Newton"
wrote:

Did a parent strike a TD at the National Youth Action?

J Newton

Yes. The TD who was hit was Tim Just. He was trying to expel a parent
who was hovering over a game and disturbing the opponent.

Old November 21st 04, 02:05 PM
Jan Newton

wrote:

Did a parent strike a TD at the National Youth Action?

J Newton

Yes. The TD who was hit was Tim Just. He was trying to expel a parent
who was hovering over a game and disturbing the opponent.

Sam Sloan

I hope that USCF provides severe punishment. With things like the recent
NBA brawl, we certainly can't have TD's fearing for their safety when
running a chess tournament. I would think a minimum of a suspension plus a
fine to regain the membership would be appropriate.

J Newton

Old November 22nd 04, 02:58 PM
Angelo DePalma

I've played Nakamura once or twice in tournaments and have seen him in
several others, stretching back to when he was an expert. I've also played
him half a dozen blitz games with his father nearby. I never noticed any
antisocial behavior from Sunil, or heard any complaints about his behavior.

adp

om...

Old November 22nd 04, 03:04 PM
Angelo DePalma

So in other words you were watching Sunil watch Hikaru play. Nak's opponent
got up to take a leak, Sunil followed him, and you followed Sunil. Did
anyone follow you?

Following men two men you don't know into the bathroom doesn't make you a
bad person.

Did you see their wienies?

adp

"Spam Scone" wrote in message
om...
Lady Chatterly wrote in message
In article
(Spam Scone) wrote:
This kid will never be a Robert Hess or Nakamura, both of whom
were/are left
alone by their fathers.

adp

Nakamura's shadow Sunil has been known to follow the kid's opponents
into the mens room to make sure they aren't cheating.

What makes you so certain?

Saw it happen.