Old November 20th 04, 01:51 PM
Chess One

Default Old Farts ramble on... mostly off topic... zzz

I have decided to become old before my time. Its a spur of the moment
decision, an awkwardly youthful impulse. In other words a contradiction of
terms or even a paradox.

Anyway: A question for Sam Sloan. Have you ever read The Girl Who Played GO,
a novel by Shan Sa. Its a GO equivalent to that interesting book, The
Queen's Gambit.

Shan Sa was born in 1972 in Beijing. In 1990 she left China for France,
where she studied in Paris and worked for two years with the painter
Balthus. Her two previous novels were awarded the Prix Goncourt du Premier
Roman and the Prix Gazes.

And she is beautiful.

It was published by Alfred Knopf in 2003 in a translation by Adriana Hunter.

"I prefer go to chess, because it is so much freer; in chess the two
kingdoms with their armoured warriors confront each other across the board,
but the agile, twirling stones in a game of go spiral round each other,
setting traps - daring and imagination are the qualities that lead to
victory."

But the book is both a love story, and a coming-of-age story - austere,
beautiful, and quite suited for an Airstream bookshelf. I will send you my
copy if you can't find one.

Phil Innes

Old November 20th 04, 03:31 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:51:31 GMT, "Chess One"
wrote:

[...]

No, thank you. I have not read this book.

Why did not you post this question to rec.games.go ?

Old November 20th 04, 07:15 PM
Chess One

\ Why did not you post this question to rec.games.go ?

because it would be on-topic there, and this is an off-topic thread...

e-mail phs addr. which is someplace in rock faraway? and maybe if you were
good this year [better make that this century] santa will send you a little
package

santa's helper

ps; is anyone giving any chess or related books to anyone this year? what
/was/ the chess book of the year?

pps; i see i am cross-posting this to half the known world, so cool to be
bad sometimes, no?