Old November 23rd 04, 12:52 AM
Mike Nolan

Default Online submission of rating reports

Joe Riegsecker writes:

My first experience with an online rating report seems to have been a
success. The tournament was held on November 13. That evening I
submitted the memberships and the next morning I submitted the rating
report. It was rated on November 19. Everything seems to be okay,
except that the old ratings of two lapsed USCF members were not used.
They were correctly given their old USCF ID numbers, but their
PreRates were listed as 0.

That's an ongoing problem from the membership conversion back in March
that is not directly related to the online submission process.

We have a process in place to try to catch those, these may have fallen
through the cracks because of the timing of when Nancy ran the last
group of online submissions or because of continuing file server problems.

I'll check with her tomorrow to see if we can find out what went wrong.
Please e-mail her the information on the event so we can get it corrected.
--
Mike Nolan
Old November 23rd 04, 04:01 AM
Bill Smythe

"Joe Riegsecker" wrote:
.... Everything seems to be okay,
except that the old ratings of two lapsed USCF members were not used.
They were correctly given their old USCF ID numbers, but their
PreRates were listed as 0. ....

Maybe these should be handled similarly to players winning at least $1000 in
class prizes. Organizers could be asked to provide a separate list of
players whose ratings were last published in 1991 or earlier (or whatever
year is appropriate).

Bill Smythe

Old November 23rd 04, 04:27 AM
Mike Nolan

"Bill Smythe" writes:

Maybe these should be handled similarly to players winning at least $1000 in
class prizes. Organizers could be asked to provide a separate list of
players whose ratings were last published in 1991 or earlier (or whatever
year is appropriate).

I don't see how that would help much.

If I had a way to update the old dBase files directly, I'd be doing it
now!

They already get a report every day for renewed memberships that have old
ratings associated with them, someone just has to take the time to update
the old ratings system to put that information back in before the next
rate run.

They also get a report that checks the events ready for rating for ID
and ratings issues, but I think we're having server transfer issues again
so that report might not be up-to-date. (There may also be a timing issue
with the uploaded events, because they're processed right up to the
validation run. I'll have to check with Nancy on that one.)

I don't know the ID's in this instance, but I'd be surprised if they weren't
on or the other of those daily reports.

Thankfully, this problem GOES AWAY when we get the new ratings programming
up.
--
Mike Nolan
Old November 23rd 04, 05:13 AM
Bill Smythe

"Mike Nolan" wrote:
They already get a report every day for renewed memberships that have old
ratings associated with them, someone just has to take the time to update
the old ratings system to put that information back in before the next
rate run.

Maybe what's needed is a program to crosscheck IDs on crosstables with IDs
on the above-mentioned report. To save time, maybe only IDs belong to
apparently unrated players need be checked.

Thankfully, this problem GOES AWAY when we get the new ratings programming
up.

Hmm, I don't quite understand that. I thought the main problem was that no
electronic copies of old ratings exist. If so, the best the new programming
could do would be to identify players on crosstables that might have old
ratings, then they'd still have to be looked up manually. Of course, this
would still be a BIG help, I guess.

Bill Smythe

Old November 23rd 04, 06:10 AM
Hal Terrie

On 22 Nov 2004 18:54:34 EST, Joe Riegsecker wrote:

To whom it may concern:

My first experience with an online rating report seems to have been a
success. The tournament was held on November 13. That evening I
submitted the memberships and the next morning I submitted the rating
report. It was rated on November 19. Everything seems to be okay,
except that the old ratings of two lapsed USCF members were not used.
They were correctly given their old USCF ID numbers, but their
PreRates were listed as 0.

I also did an online rating report for an event held 11/13,
which I submitted the next day. There is no indication on the MSA site
that it has been rated yet though. Why is that?

-- Hal Terrie

Old November 23rd 04, 06:25 AM
Mike Nolan

Hal Terrie writes:

I also did an online rating report for an event held 11/13,
which I submitted the next day. There is no indication on the MSA site
that it has been rated yet though. Why is that?

I think your event made the online submission cutoff (it had to be
submitted by 8AM Monday morning), but the MSA site hasn't been updated
with the results of last Friday's rate yet, because of file server issues.
The files haven't been copied over to where I have access to them yet
because the daily copy job stopped running again.
--
Mike Nolan
Old November 23rd 04, 06:37 AM
Mike Nolan

"Bill Smythe" writes:

Maybe what's needed is a program to crosscheck IDs on crosstables with IDs
on the above-mentioned report. To save time, maybe only IDs belong to
apparently unrated players need be checked.

We actually have two programs that do this running every day.

One of them may not have been of much value last week due to problems
with getting data moved around on the file servers. (The daily transfer
from the old servers to the new server isn't working again, that's also
why last Friday's rate run still isn't posted on MSA.)

Thankfully, this problem GOES AWAY when we get the new ratings programming
up.

Hmm, I don't quite understand that. I thought the main problem was that no
electronic copies of old ratings exist. If so, the best the new programming
could do would be to identify players on crosstables that might have old
ratings, then they'd still have to be looked up manually. Of course, this
would still be a BIG help, I guess.

REALLY old IDs aren't on the computer, but I believe we have virtually
all of them going back to about 1987, over 600,000 of them going
back to about ID 12540000.

Also, the membership exception form for the online system (which is
now available) has a space for comments that can be used by TDs to
alert the ratings department of old ID's that need to be reactivated
or old ratings that need to be restored. It can also be used to
report duplicate IDs.

However, that wasn't what happened here.

The old ratings system had an annual program that for some reason
(probably due to file space or performance issues from the early 1990's)
purged expired members from the membership dBase file after three years,
moving the data to an 'expired' file. This program was last run in
November of 2002, so anyone whose membership lapsed before 1999 was
not on the 'active' list of about 150,000 current or recent members
but was on the inactive list.

There was program that restored the ratings on expired members, I'm not
sure if it was based on the member record being updated or if was part
of the ratings validation sequence.

Unfortunately, this process stopped working when we switched over to
the new membership program in March. We're not sure what's broken,
it may be related to the fact that we don't run the old dBase memberhip
programs anymore.

Laura was probably the only person with the necessary experience to
figure out what the problem was, but she had moved back to Maine by then.

I don't have much experience in Clipper and I don't have ANY access to
the old ratings PCs or the dBase files on the Novell fileserver, so
even if I knew what the problem was I couldn't have fixed it from here.

The best I could do was write two program on the NEW server that looks
at all of the memberships processed each day and checks to see if
that ID is in the expired table (which I do have). If it is, I send
an e-mail to the ratings department. I also do a similar check on
my copy of the pending events table. (But that table probably hasn't
been updated in over a week due to the file server issue referred
to above.)

Both of the members in the event that lead to this thread WERE in the
daily membership check e-mail back on November 14th. I don't know why
those ratings weren't restored before the rate run on the 19th. I
think Nancy may have been depending upon the second program, the one
that checks the pending events table, and I'll have to remind her that
it isn't up-to-date.
--
Mike Nolan