Old November 25th 04, 01:22 PM

Default If it's a good idea, just do it

I am reviving this old posting by Tim Hanke below because now we find
out that he wants to fire Kalev Pehme as Chess Life Editor and take
the job for himself, just as he and Beatriz plan to fire Bill
Goichberg as Executive Director and give the Executive Director job to
Beatriz. Both jobs pay significant salaries, but Hanke and Beatriz are
supposed to be volunteers.

In the posting below, Hanke describes what he did when he first became
the editor of another magazine. He threw out all the old files and
records and submitted articles and put them all in the trash dumpster.

Hanke has recently mentioned that all the old USCF records are in the
basement of the building just sold in New Windsor. Hanke has suggested
throwing out all those old records too.

Is this the kind of person we would want as editor of a chess
magazine, who would throw out all the old chess records??

Sam Sloan

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 02:23:37 GMT, "Tim Hanke"
wrote:

That's not how I think. Here's the way I think: you figure out what to do,
and you do it right away without wasting time.

Example #2:

In 1989, Harvard University hired me to edit one of their publications. So I
could "learn the job," they had me overlap for a month with a timid lady who
had preceded me in the job. My first morning on the job, she gave me a tour
of the office, showing me great mounds of boxes of old publications, with
early drafts of articles, unused photos, etc., etc., etc. You could hardly
turn around in this office, and I was supposed to share it with her for a
month. Then she went to lunch.

When she got back from lunch, her jaw dropped down to the floor, because I
had thrown everything away and the office was practically empty. I said,
"OK, this is how we are going to do it." I re-designed everything, changed
all the content, jazzed up the writing, and we proceeded to win design
awards and writing awards from the American Museum Association (or whatever
the national group was called that we belonged to).

Example #3:

In 1992, a friend asked me to work with him on a new project, "American
Chess Journal." People told us we would never be able to sell a chess
periodical for $12 a copy. But we did such a good job that we sold out every
issue, and got praise from all over the world.

OK, I've had some failures, too. But they were few and far between. I still
believe, by and large, that you have to decide on a promising plan of
action, see if the resources are in place, and then go for it if you think
you can do it.

To me, this applies to revamping "Chess Life" ASAP.

To me, this also applies to splitting off U.S. Junior Chess from USCF ASAP,
and using the new group's single-minded mission and 501(c)3 status to
leverage the current scholastic chess boom into something really
spectacular.

If it's a good idea, you just do it.

Tim Hanke
--
I am a candidate for the U.S. Chess Federation Executive Board in the 2003
election. Please visit my website at http://www.timothyhanke.net.=

Old November 25th 04, 01:29 PM
Randy Bauer

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
I am reviving this old posting by Tim Hanke below because now we find
out that he wants to fire Kalev Pehme as Chess Life Editor and take
the job for himself,

Utter crap. Sam Sloan takes what Larry Parr admits is an unsubstantiated
rumor and turns it in something "now we find out" about Tim Hanke. Sloan is
a loser, whose sole claim to chess notoriety and attention is to make
outlandish claims and plaster them on the Internet and other places. He's a
disgusting low life degenerate. He stinks, literally and figuratively.

Randy Bauer

Old November 25th 04, 02:55 PM
StanB

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

I am reviving this old posting by Tim Hanke below because now we find
out that he wants to fire Kalev Pehme as Chess Life Editor and take
the job for himself, just as he and Beatriz plan to fire Bill
Goichberg as Executive Director and give the Executive Director job to
Beatriz.

Once a pathological liar always a pathological liar.

Old November 25th 04, 02:55 PM
Jerzy

"Randy Bauer" wrote in message
news:M6lpd.459471$D%[email protected]_s51...
I am reviving this old posting by Tim Hanke below because now we find
out that he wants to fire Kalev Pehme as Chess Life Editor and take
the job for himself,

Utter crap. Sam Sloan takes what Larry Parr admits is an unsubstantiated
rumor and turns it in something "now we find out" about Tim Hanke. Sloan

is
a loser, whose sole claim to chess notoriety and attention is to make
outlandish claims and plaster them on the Internet and other places. He's

disgusting low life degenerate. He stinks, literally and figuratively.

Randy, once I thought that you could be a polite person. Now I`m sure that
you aren`t. Your negative emotions are clearly seen here.

BTW I agree with Larry Parr that no-one here denies that Tim Hanke could
have such a plan. And such an impolite post as yours only raises suspicions
that sth can be rotten.

Regards,

Jerzy

Old November 25th 04, 04:46 PM
Wickdeer3

Jerzy wrote:

Randy, once I thought that you could be a polite person. Now I`m sure that
you aren`t. Your negative emotions are clearly seen here.

I think it is both natural and appropriate to respond to scandalous, scurilous
rumormongering with outrage and condemnation.

Wick Deer

Old November 25th 04, 04:57 PM
StanB

"Wickdeer3" wrote in message

I think it is both natural and appropriate to respond to scandalous,
scurilous
rumormongering with outrage and condemnation.

Yes but can you cook?

Old November 25th 04, 05:52 PM
Doom & Gloom Dave

StanB wrote:
"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

I am reviving this old posting by Tim Hanke below because now we find
out that he wants to fire Kalev Pehme as Chess Life Editor and take
the job for himself, just as he and Beatriz plan to fire Bill
Goichberg as Executive Director and give the Executive Director job
to Beatriz.

Once a pathological liar always a pathological liar.

The life of the judgement proof must be wonderful.

Old November 25th 04, 11:39 PM
Parrthenon

Utter crap. Sam Sloan takes what Larry Parr admits is an unsubstantiated
rumor and turns it in something "now we find out" about Tim Hanke. -- Randy
Bauer

Which part of the rumor is untrue?

1. That Tim Hanke lost his job?

2. That Tim Hanke cracked jokes about becoming the next Chess Life editor?
"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old November 26th 04, 01:08 AM
Parrthenon

I think it is both natural and appropriate to respond to scandalous,
scurilous
rumormongering with outrage and condemnation. -- Wick Deer, a lawyer.

Simple enough. Tim and Beatriz, who would make, respectively, a fine editor and
possibly a fine executive director, need merely state that they will not climb
into these jobs for a decent interval after serving on the Board.

The precedent set by Board members assuming the cherry positions at the
Federation would be devastating.

Yours, Larry Parr

Old November 26th 04, 01:34 AM
Chess One

"StanB" wrote in message

"Wickdeer3" wrote in message

I think it is both natural and appropriate to respond to scandalous,
scurilous
rumormongering with outrage and condemnation.

Yes but can you cook?

That's right, anybody can be a pompous twit and lord it over others, and it
is well known that the General Public would choose a taxi-driver over a
lawyer for honesty every day of the week right? but we am cooks, and we is
rarer.

Anybody else here ever eaten horse?

Phil