Old November 28th 04, 04:24 PM
Chessdon

Default Amos Burn - a chess biography

Pre-Review of "Amos Burn, a Chess Biography"

by Richard Forster

When I first received Amos Burn, a chess biography by Richard Forster, I was
surprised to see such an extensive work about a player whom I knew virtually
nothing about. I had occasionally seen his name show up on tournament charts
or in stories about famous tournaments or about other great players of the past
but nothing more.

Upon receiving it I put the book aside, never expecting to pick it up.
Fortunately, I did glance at it a few times and each time I did, my interest
was piqued a little more.

Aside from its size, the largest chess book I have ever seen, I was first
impressed with the quality of presentation, the page layout and the
illustrations and photos. It was obvious that an enormous effort went into this
biography.

Then I noticed a forward by GM Victor Korchnoi and my interest rose further.
Korchnoi states: “The spotlight is firmly on Burn, but the author also
skillfully chronicles the broader picture of chess developments throughout the
old master’s lifetime.?

I skimmed through some pages and saw that chess historian Edward Winter helped
the author especially with contributing photos. With Winter involved, the book
took on a new meaning. Winter’s meticulous devotion to absolute accuracy
caused me to realize the amount of painstaking research, checking, double
checking and triple checking facts that took place.

I believe the biography of Amos Burn may be special and look forward to reading
it, playing through his games and doing a complete review of it..

Amos Burn, a chess biography is published by McFarland & Company
(http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/). It is available now and retails for $75. It can
be ordered from McFarland directly by calling 800-253-2187.

Although Amos Burn was entered into the 2004/2005 Best Book Contest for a
Cramer Award for Excellence in Chess Journalism by McFarland Books.
Unfortunately, it is ineligible because the author is not an American.

However, when I placed it on a shelf with my other chess books I noticed many
other McFarland published books of high quality and historical interest:
Alexander Alekhine’s Chess Games, 1902-1946; Reuben Fine, A Comprehensive
Record of an American Chess Career 1929 -1951; The Steinitz Papers; The United
States Chess Championship 1845 – 1996; Correspondence Chess in America;
William Penn Shipley – Philadelphia’ Friend of Chess and, Soviet Chess
1917-1991. It dawned upon me then what a great contribution to chess history
McFarland Publishing is making.

Therefore, this year, I will recommend that the Cramer Awards Committee give a
special award to: “McFarland & Company, Inc. for their unrivaled dedication
in publishing outstanding books of great historical interest.?

Old November 28th 04, 08:15 PM
Jeremy Spinrad

While I completely agree that Mcfarland has a wonderful record on publishing
books on chess history, I cannot pass up the comment that their dedication is
unrivalled without putting in a word for Moravian Chess, which has issued so many
important reprints as well as published important books (such as the Quarterly
for Chess History) on its own.

Jerry Spinrad
Old November 29th 04, 03:12 AM
Spam Scone

(
http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/). It is available now and retails for $75. It can
be ordered from McFarland directly by calling 800-253-2187.

Those of us who have read the book feel it is excellent.

Although Amos Burn was entered into the 2004/2005 Best Book Contest for a
Cramer Award for Excellence in Chess Journalism by McFarland Books.
Unfortunately, it is ineligible because the author is not an American.

However, when I placed it on a shelf with my other chess books I noticed many
other McFarland published books of high quality and historical interest:
Alexander Alekhine’s Chess Games, 1902-1946; Reuben Fine, A Comprehensive
Record of an American Chess Career 1929 -1951; The Steinitz Papers; The United
States Chess Championship 1845 – 1996; Correspondence Chess in America;
William Penn Shipley – Philadelphia’ Friend of Chess and, Soviet Chess
1917-1991. It dawned upon me then what a great contribution to chess history
McFarland Publishing is making.

It took you that long?

Therefore, this year, I will recommend that the Cramer Awards Committee give a
special award to: “McFarland & Company, Inc. for their unrivaled dedication
in publishing outstanding books of great historical interest.?

What a prize that is, ChessDon!
Old November 29th 04, 02:09 PM
Chessdon

While I completely agree that Mcfarland has a wonderful record on publishing
books on chess history, I cannot pass up the comment that their dedication is
unrivalled without putting in a word for Moravian Chess, which has issued so
many
important reprints as well as published important books (such as the
Quarterly
for Chess History) on its own.

Jerry Spinrad

Hi Jerry: I am not a chess historian and consequently likely missed several
contributors that deserve recognition.

The last thing I wish to do is get anyone's nose out of joint. One thing we can
always do is give recognition where it is deserved.

So please send me some background on Moravian Chess. If something needs to be
sent through regular mail my address is 3201 S Ocean Blvd., Highland Beach, FL
33487.

I'll remove the word Unrivaled from any recognition and will see what we can do
for deserving others.

Don