Old November 29th 04, 10:22 AM
Chessdon

Default Rules Question from National Chess Congress

How would you rule? Is a warning to White enough or should he be
forfeited?

I would ask the player where he was and try to find witnesses to acount for it.
If I could not account for his 35 minutes, I would forfeit him. The instantly
replying when he returned is decisive and since he didn't make that move just
before he left, the only conclusion is that he cheated.

Old November 29th 04, 12:18 PM
GrantPerks

I would ask the player where he was and try to find witnesses to acount for
it.
If I could not account for his 35 minutes, I would forfeit him. The instantly
replying when he returned is decisive and since he didn't make that move just
before he left, the only conclusion is that he cheated.

Not having all of the details, It is difficult to say how I would rule. As I
read Sam's post, any player would have a hard time justifying leaving the game
for 35 minutes knowing his clock was running.

In my opinion, the excuse would have had to have been better than a long visit
to the men's room, a cigarette break, and a phone call home.

The rulebook is clear that a player should not leave the board for a period of
more than 15 minutes without notifying the TD. Assuming the 35 minutes is
accurate, some form of penalty would have been justified, at a minimum not
allowing the winning move to be played seems reasonable. This gives the
opponent the benefit of doubt that he was not cheating, just breaking the rule
with regard to a long absence.

Grant Perks