Old December 2nd 04, 02:12 AM
Parrthenon

Default A Bestiary Eadiensis

Larry, I've never been a "constant ally" of James Eade. -- Neil Brennen

I was guilty of oxymoronic logic. I called Neil Brennen a "constant ally" of
Jim Eade even as I demonstrated that he was not! I kept the reference when
reprinting the "Bestiary Eadiensis" because it is now a document. I hereby
state that Mr. Brennen was evidently not a "constant ally" of Mr. Eade.

Inevitably, I will print this Bestiary document again and will try to remember
to append an asterisk. I'll add it to my copy this very day.

"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old December 2nd 04, 07:11 AM
Parrthenon

"**** you!" -- Jim Eade to GM Yasser Seirawan, who fiercely opposed drug
testing

You have before you a long essay that we posted examining Jim Eade's
contumacious advocacy this writer and GM Larry Evans for about nine days back
in 2002. In what follows below, he disputes nothing that I quoted, nor does he
adduce any mistakes we made in rendering his language.

Jim Eade begins as follows, "Since Neil quoted you, you liar, I will respond."

Mr. Eade claims to have kill-filed yours truly and only readers my posts
when they are quoted by others. We note that, as is his wont, he calls me a
liar without adducing any statements on my part that would be normally called
lies.

We have been accused by Jim of having been bought off -- by whom and for what
purpose, he never deigned to state. Even the currency of our subornation
changed from message to message: access to information, perhaps currency, other
times just a desire to feel important.

Jim expended canker on our childhood, just as he also emitted choler about GM
Evans' senior years. He exuded an extravagantlty expressed ill-will that could
not be derived from anything that either GM Evans or this writer, who had
always imagined himself as Jim's friend, had written about his person. That was
because his person was not our subject, which was his performance as our zonal
president in FIDE.
Our comments follow below in multiple brackets.

Larry, you were the one who made mention of your passport, and what it
respresented. I merely passed on what you told me.

[[[[Let's start right here. We did indeed note the power of the U.S. passport,
but our statement was clearly made in the context that such was the case in an
unfortunate, fallen world. It is not the way things ought to be; but it is the
way things happen to be. Jim did not, as he claims, "merely" pass on what we
told him. He reversed my meaning by 180 degrees.]]]]]
(Snip)

In a posting of June 20 (1:16 p.m.), a constant ally of Mr.
Eade’s vouchsafed the opinion about a British boarding school for my
children: "Now Jim, there is nothing wrong with wanting a good classical
education for your children."

[[[[[To this day, we have failed to understand how our children landed up in
one of Mr. Eade's postings about FIDE issues. Never mind, that he could not
even identify their sexes adequately (he spoke of our daughters, while we
actually have a girl and a little, tow-headed space cadet) as he spewed out
nonsense about their education. There was something rather imperialist, as he
would have it, about our children receiving a traditional, classical education.
Or, at least, that appeared to be part of his meaning. We shall likely never
know for sure. We simply did not understand the relevance that our
misidentified children had to Mr. Eade's argument. We found this portion of his
effort to be rather bizarre. He evidently imagined otherwise.]]]]]

(Snip)

Neil was way, way off base insinuating that whar Parr told me, was a direct
reflection on Mrs. Parr. I have not posted about Mrs. Parr. I have not offered
any opinion whatsoever about her. I've never met her, and I do not know her.

[[[[[Yes, Jim did not know Tai; yes, he had probably never met Tai. Yet his
meaning in the message was clear. Readers are directed to the "Bestiary
Eadiensis," and they may also consult Jim's full message, which we dated. His
drift was understood by several people.]]]]]

I do know what Larry Parr told me about his sexual exploits in Thailand. I do
not connect the dots to his future wife. I just took Larry at his word. I only
raised the issue in the context of Larry's defense of Scam Sloan's behaviour in
Thialand [sic]. I pointed out that it was probable that their behavior was
similar. That's all.

[[[[[Jim gets one point correct: he did attempt to equate our behavior on
nearly every point with that of Sam Sloan. In many messages, he routinely
linked our views with those of Sam, whether they were the same or not. The
strategy was obvious enough. Since the armpit strategy of argumentation would
not work so well with us (perhaps: "Parr sleeps under a bridge and his children
attend a private school") the idea became to link us with Sam in other ways.

In Jim's demonology there was the evil axis of Parr-Sloan or Sloan-Parr
and this
bitter old man named Larry Evans, who kept attacking the drug testing that our
FIDE team only pretended to oppose. Mr. Eade's attack on GM Evans' was actually
disputed by Jim's FIDE confrere, USCF presdient Tim Redman, who also argued
vehemently in favor of drug tests.

We may assure readers that GM Evans, while growing indisputably older, is
oarguably not yet old. We know of no bitterness in his soul, having been his
guest and his successful artist wife on a number of occasions. He lives well,
enjoys life, and Ingrid produces the finest strawberry cheesecake I ever ate.

In fact, they once treated Jim Eade to dinner at a fine restaurant when he
came to Reno to play in the Western States Open. Mr. Eade also published a
revised edition of GM Evans' classic MODERN CHESS BRILLIANCIES.

However, I do believe there is bitterness and a corrosive canker in the
exchanges. I think they come from Jim Eade. Readers will have to judge for
themselves.]]]]]

-- Larry Parr
Old December 2nd 04, 11:55 AM
Spam Scone

Parrthenon wrote:
Larry, I've never been a "constant ally" of James Eade. -- Neil

Brennen

I was guilty of oxymoronic logic. I called Neil Brennen a "constant

ally" of
Jim Eade even as I demonstrated that he was not! I kept the reference

when
reprinting the "Bestiary Eadiensis" because it is now a document. I

hereby
state that Mr. Brennen was evidently not a "constant ally" of Mr.

Eade.

Inevitably, I will print this Bestiary document again and will try to

remember
to append an asterisk. I'll add it to my copy this very day.

Larry, you were much more fun when you called me "The Historian".
Couldn't you flame me again for old time's sake? Something has sure
taken the ginger out of you.