Old December 2nd 04, 04:34 AM
Angelo DePalma

Default I belong in the U.S. Championship

That tournament is a shell of ...I was about to say "its former self." But
let's face it, it's been a while since it was a strong tournament. Since
1970 anywhere from 30 to 50 foreign players would be odds-on favorites to
win it undefeated.

Experts, weak IMs I haven't heard from in 20 years. Man oh Manischewitz!
Where's Dr. Saidy? Doctor Kopec? Jim Tarjan? I hear Robert Byrne can still
push some mean wood. Anthony Santasiere? No, he's dead? There are players in
there even I could beat on a good day. OK, a *VERY* good day. Did I ever
tell you about my game against ******? And I'm not talking about no damn
expert, this guy is a bona fide "tourist" of the Kasparovian variety! I came
within one girlie-move of crushing him. Yeah, I chickened out during a
furious attack and he won by a tempo. I'll email you the game as a CBV file
if you ask for it. Proof positive that I belong in the US Championship, as
if y'all didn't know that.

If I don't get in I will ask Sam Sloan to sue to designate the US Open as
the official US Championship. From what I can see of the current USC field
anybody can get in, so it might as well be an open. And who cares if the
winner is foreign, as the US Open champ sometimes is? Chances are they'll
move here eventually anyway.

Hey! Maybe as first prize we can offer a trophy, cash, and automatic
citizenship, plus three acres in Xville next door to the National Tritiated
Water Re-Distillation Facility (across the street from soon-to-be USCF
HQs.).

Old December 2nd 04, 05:00 AM
Randy Bauer

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message

If I don't get in I will ask Sam Sloan to sue to designate the US Open as
the official US Championship. From what I can see of the current USC field
anybody can get in, so it might as well be an open. And who cares if the
winner is foreign, as the US Open champ sometimes is? Chances are they'll
move here eventually anyway.

No need - simply play in the qualifying tournaments next year, pay the
additional entry fee, and post a qualifying score.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Randy Bauer

Old December 2nd 04, 01:58 PM
Angelo DePalma

Hey Randy, what did those low-rated players and has-beens "win" to qualify?

news:[email protected]_s52...

Old December 2nd 04, 02:21 PM
Randy Bauer

In article , Angelo DePalma says...

Hey Randy, what did those low-rated players and has-beens "win" to qualify?

This is from the very informative website for the 2005 U.S. championship:

The road to 2005

11.18.04 Below is how each player reached the 2005 US Championship.

2003 U.S. Champion: GM Alexander Shabalov

2003 U.S. Women's Champion: WIM Anna Hahn

2003 U.S. Junior Champion: IM Varuzhan Akobian

2004 U.S. Junior Champion: FM Lev Milman

2002 Grand Prix Champion: GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz

2003 Foxwoods Open: GM Hikaru Nakamura and GM Sergey Kudrin

2003 Chicago Open: GM Yuri Shulman and IM Eugene Perelshteyn

2003 National Open: GM Joel Benjamin and FM Michael Casella

2003 World Open: IM Yury Lapshun and FM Matthew Hoekstra. Women's qualifier:
Iryna Zenyuk

2003 U.S. Open: GM Larry Christiansen. Women's qualifier: WGM Rusudan Goletiani

2003 North American Open: IM Ben Finegold, GM Gregory Serper, Robby Adamson, Lev
Altounian. Women's qualifier: WIM Jennifer Shahade

Seeded Players

The six top-rated players and five top-rated women players comes from the
February 2004 USCF Rating List (that includes all events rated through December
31, 2003).

Overall: GM Gregory Kaidanov, GM Alexander Onischuk, GM Igor Novikov, GM Boris
Gulko, GM Alexander Goldin and GM Yasser Seirawan. *Having announced his
official retirement from international chess late last year, Yasser Seirawan
declines his invitation. His place is filled by GM Ildar Ibraigimov.

Women: GM Susan Polgar*, WGM Anna Zatonskih, WGM Irina Krush, WGM Elena
Donaldson-Akhmilovskaya and WGM Anjelina Belakovskaia. *Susan Polgar declines
her invitation and has been replaced by Tatev Abrahamyan

2003 Grand Prix Champion: GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz. *Aleks is also the winner of the
2002 GP, so as per our rules this spot reverts to the February 2004 USCF Rating
List, and will be filled (should he accept) by GM Lev Alburt. Update: Lev Alburt
declined his invitation, therefore GM Nick de Firmian takes this place.

2004 Foxwoods Open: GM Julio Becerra, IM Renier Gonzalez, GM Alex Stripunsky and
GM Alex Ivanov. The Women's qualifier was WIM Esther Epstein.

2004 Chicago Open: GM Alex Fishbein, FM Joshua Friedel, Chouchanik Airapetian
and GM Dmitry Gurevich. The Women's qualifier was Tatiana Vayserberg.

2004 US Senior Open: FM Fabio LaRota.

2004 National Open: GM Alex Yermolinsky, IM Stanislav Kriventsov, IM Blas Lugo,
GM Anatoly Lein. The Women's qualifier was Vanessa West.

2004 World Open: IM Jesse Kraai, FM Dmitry Zilberstein, FM Stephen Muhammad, FM
Enkbaat Tegshsuren. The Women's qualifiers were WM Tsagaan Battsetseg and WFM
Laura Ross.

2004 U.S. Open: FM Marcel Martinez, FM Bruci Lopez, IM Dmitry Schneider, Jake
Kleiman. The Women's qualifiers were WFM Anna Levina and WFM Olga Sagalchik.

AF4C Wild Cards: NM Salvijus Bercys and GM Gata Kamsky.

USCF State Champion of Champions: IM Ronald Burnett, Tennessee.

Late news: After several late withdrawals, six-time US champion Walter Browne
and San Diego native IM Cyrus Lakdawala have been given special replacement
slots by the organizers.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:28 PM
Ray Gordon

Late news: After several late withdrawals, six-time US champion Walter
Browne
and San Diego native IM Cyrus Lakdawala have been given special
replacement
slots by the organizers.

Cyrus Lakdawala has been 2500+ USCF for what, 20 years now?

It's amazing how good a chessplayer can be in this country while remaining
all but unknown to anyone other than his peers, and his regional ones at
that.

Old December 2nd 04, 04:00 PM
Randy Bauer

In article [email protected], Ray Gordon says...

Late news: After several late withdrawals, six-time US champion Walter
Browne
and San Diego native IM Cyrus Lakdawala have been given special
replacement
slots by the organizers.

Cyrus Lakdawala has been 2500+ USCF for what, 20 years now?

It's amazing how good a chessplayer can be in this country while remaining
all but unknown to anyone other than his peers, and his regional ones at
that.

I agree with you 100% I'll bet that if you asked tournament-regular GMs for a
list of US non-GMs they would prefer not having to meet with money on the line,
Lakdawala would be pretty high on that list.

Randy Bauer

Old December 2nd 04, 07:03 PM
Angelo DePalma

Randy,

I already said I understood the top GMs getting in. Hadn't I? Well, ok.
There, I said it.

I do not understand including the experts, FIDE masters, and forgotten IMs.
You can point to as many qualifying events and conditions as you like. Just
because you make it "official"doesn't mean they deserve a place in the US
Championship. Maybe next time around the strongest player in Newton, NJ will
get an entry and you'll see my name on the list. Who cares?

You could generate that list by sampling the top 100 places at Foxwoods
after 4 rounds. We already have Foxwoods.

What is the point of including people with *zero* chance of winning, or of
breaking even? No doubt I'll get flames for the "zero" comment but really,
statistically and practically speaking a hearty handful of those players has
about as much chance of winning as I do. I.e., ZERO.

If that's the price we pay for ****ing up our finances and losing the US
Championship so be it. Just admit it. Or if you can't admit it for political
reasons don't say anything. Just don't point to some bogus qualification
scheme, as if it were handed down on that tablet Moses (Mel Brooks) dropped
in "History of the World."

adp
adp

Old December 2nd 04, 07:22 PM
Randy Bauer

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message

Randy,

I already said I understood the top GMs getting in. Hadn't I? Well, ok.
There, I said it.

I do not understand including the experts, FIDE masters, and forgotten
IMs. You can point to as many qualifying events and conditions as you
like. Just because you make it "official"doesn't mean they deserve a place
in the US Championship. Maybe next time around the strongest player in
Newton, NJ will get an entry and you'll see my name on the list. Who
cares?

You've got an FM who qualified through the U.S. Junior, others through
big-time tournaments like the World Open, National Open, and Chicago Open;
who is to say they are not deserving? Even when the U.S. Championship was a
smaller affair, there were players who qualified without GM and IM titles -
remember George Kane? There have also been fast rising younger players who
performed well above expectations, sometimes battling to the end for the
title.

You could generate that list by sampling the top 100 places at Foxwoods
after 4 rounds. We already have Foxwoods.

What is the point of including people with *zero* chance of winning, or of
breaking even? No doubt I'll get flames for the "zero" comment but really,
statistically and practically speaking a hearty handful of those players
has about as much chance of winning as I do. I.e., ZERO.

Statistically speaking, I believe just about every player in the field would
have a greater chance of winning, but I won't discount your point. It has
been determined that to increase interest, the men's and women's titles will
be determined in the same event. Most of the lower-rated players in the
field are woman players. They may have little or no statistical chance of
winning the men's championship, but they have a greater chance at the
women's title.

If that's the price we pay for ****ing up our finances and losing the US
Championship so be it. Just admit it. Or if you can't admit it for
political reasons don't say anything. Just don't point to some bogus
qualification scheme, as if it were handed down on that tablet Moses (Mel
Brooks) dropped in "History of the World."

I don't think it's "the price we pay" for anything. The U.S. isn't alone in
going with a more open approach to the national championship. This is also
similar to the method used in Great Britain, which, far as I can tell, has a
pretty solid placing in world chess at the moment.

With the exception of a handful of wild card or exemptions, the players
rightfully earned their way into the championship, and I fail to see
anything about it that is "bogus." These are mostly big-time tournaments
where they qualified, and if you truly feel that any chump can make it in,
pony up your entry fees at some of these tournaments and take your best
shot.

adp
adp

Randy Bauer

Old December 2nd 04, 08:14 PM
Ray Gordon

I do not understand including the experts, FIDE masters, and forgotten
IMs. You can point to as many qualifying events and conditions as you
like. Just because you make it "official"doesn't mean they deserve a
place in the US Championship. Maybe next time around the strongest player
in Newton, NJ will get an entry and you'll see my name on the list. Who
cares?

You've got an FM who qualified through the U.S. Junior, others through
big-time tournaments like the World Open, National Open, and Chicago Open;
who is to say they are not deserving? Even when the U.S. Championship was
a smaller affair, there were players who qualified without GM and IM
titles - remember George Kane? There have also been fast rising younger
players who performed well above expectations, sometimes battling to the
end for the title.

Like that Fischer lad in 1957.

Old December 2nd 04, 08:20 PM
Kenneth Sloan

"Randy Bauer" writes:

... It has
been determined that to increase interest, the men's and women's titles will
be determined in the same event.

Now that this format has been run for a few years, what evaluation has
been done?

Has interest been increased? How can you tell?

--
Kenneth Sloan
Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213