Old December 4th 04, 02:11 AM
Parrthenon

Default Beatriz says that she is resigning effective January 1

Mike Murray is right. If Sam's charge is true about Beatriz stepping into the
ED's position after a planned resignation as president, then you have conflict
of interest as well as the establishment of a horrendous precedent. But you do
not have embezzlement except in the most attenuated sense of the word -- so
attenuated, in truth, that the word should never have been used.

We have to oppose Beatriz stepping into this job right now, but after an
18 month to two-year period after Board service, she would quite possibly make
a very strong candidate for the position.

"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old December 4th 04, 02:23 AM
Randy Bauer

"Parrthenon" wrote in message
Mike Murray is right. If Sam's charge is true about Beatriz stepping into
the
ED's position after a planned resignation as president, then you have
conflict
of interest as well as the establishment of a horrendous precedent. But
you do
not have embezzlement except in the most attenuated sense of the word --
so
attenuated, in truth, that the word should never have been used.

We have to oppose Beatriz stepping into this job right now, but
after an
18 month to two-year period after Board service, she would quite possibly
make
a very strong candidate for the position.

I have said repeatedly that I would not make a decision on an executive
director until the search period was closed and all the candidates known.
Beatriz has always said that if she was a candidate, she would resign from
the Board prior to any decision (i.e., not vote on that question). Can any
of you speculating geniuses do simple math? If that is the case, please
explain how you get to four votes on January 1 for Beatriz "stepping into
the ED's position." Sheesh.

Randy Bauer
(Jim Eade was right on a lot of things)

Old December 4th 04, 02:56 AM
Tim Hanke

"Parrthenon" wrote in message
Mike Murray is right. If Sam's charge is true about Beatriz stepping into
the
ED's position after a planned resignation as president, then you have
conflict
of interest as well as the establishment of a horrendous precedent. But
you do
not have embezzlement except in the most attenuated sense of the word --
so
attenuated, in truth, that the word should never have been used.

We have to oppose Beatriz stepping into this job right now, but
after an
18 month to two-year period after Board service, she would quite possibly
make
a very strong candidate for the position.

Let me offer a few facts. I know, this is unprecedented for an RGCP
discussion. :-)

I do NOT believe Beatriz will apply for the ED position in the near future.

I will say this: I have asked her to consider stepping down as Board
President, to take a temporary position as Relocation Coordinator or some
such title. We are in urgent need of someone to manage this complex process.
We are all anxious that it go well. This temporary job would NOT be the same
as the ED position which we are currently advertising. That position would
remain open.

I believe she is seriously considering my request, because she knows how
much hard and complex work needs to be done to move the USCF. However, she
has been very reluctant to step off the Board, and I do not believe her mind
is completely made up either way. If she does step off the Board to take a
temporary position handling the relocation, I am more to "blame" than she,
because I have been begging her to do it.

There has been scurrilous "reporting" from the usual suspects that Beatriz
wants a job at USCF so she can get health insurance. This is incorrect. She
already has health insurance, which she likes and does not intend to change.
There has also been scurrilous "reporting" that she is "not a U.S. citizen,"
as if that were relevant to any discussion. She is a U.S. citizen.

Bill Goichberg's temporary appointment as volunteer ED ends December 31. He
has already announced that he will not seek to stay in the job beyond that
date. No one has fired him. He would have been a reasonable candidate for
the long-term ED position, but he is unalterably opposed to moving out of
New York, which of course is our current plan.

Whether or not Beatriz decides to handle the office relocation--personally I
hope she will--the ED position will remain open, and we are actively seeking
good candidates.

I hope this information is useful.

Tim Hanke
USCF Vice President of Finance

Old December 4th 04, 03:03 AM
Duncan Oxley

"Tim Hanke" wrote

I hope this information is useful.

Tim Hanke
USCF Vice President of Finance

Thank you Tim.

Duncan

Old December 4th 04, 03:08 AM

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:56:44 GMT, "Tim Hanke"
wrote:

[...]

Would this be a paid position or a volunteer position?

If a salaried position, what would her salary be?

Who do you have in mind to take her place as President?

Old December 4th 04, 03:24 AM
Randy Bauer

"HAASpittle" wrote in message
"There has been scurrilous "reporting" from the usual suspects that
Beatriz
wants a job at USCF so she can get health insurance. This is incorrect.
She
already has health insurance, which she likes and does not intend to
change."
(Tim Hanke)
===============
By the way, I'd guess that group insurance for the staff in Tennessee
will be
a lot cheaper than New York.
In Tennessee you can pay the office copay with a chicken.

Old Haasie

This is the enlightened sort of discussion we should expect from the Mensa
man/Mensa district proponent? I'm happier by the minute that I didn't take
you seriously about that stuff.

Randy Bauer

Old December 4th 04, 04:10 AM
Randy Bauer

"HAASpittle" wrote in message
"This is the enlightened sort of discussion we should expect from the
Mensa
man/Mensa district proponent? I'm happier by the minute that I didn't
take you
seriously about that stuff. (Randy Bauer)
============
Lately I've entertained myself joking around about Crossville.
In due time I'll return to the Mensa model for chess. Meanwhile, your
time
on the board is growing short.

Old Haasie

As if my time on the board is some big plum that keeps me going from day to
day. Yep, go ahead, spend a couple thousand dollars of your own money, get
little but grief and deal with the spittle creatures of the world...

In my day job I budget a $13 billion a year enterprise. For chess fun, I
write book reviews and play via email and the Internet. I have two
wonderful daughters that I assist with homework, piano lessons, soccer,
volleyball, etc. Someday, I might actually want to try to get an
international title (probably FM, but who knows?). Ya think that the
Hassies of the world mean anything to me?

Randy Bauer