Old December 4th 04, 01:29 PM
Mike Murray

Default Crimes of Ken Starr

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:59:43 GMT, (Sam Sloan)
wrote:

Starr's theory was that if Clinton told Lewinsky to lie about having
oral sex with the President, this means that Clinton might have lied
about other things as well and thus there is a connection between
Lewinsky and Whitewater, even though the Whitewater deal took place
more than a decade before the President ever met Lewinsky.

I don't think the questions were connected any specific criminal
investigation, other than as a matter of convenience. The right-wing
zealots that were advising Starr knew they had to get him to ask
questions where Clinton would be likely to lie under oath. In other
words, they were trying to *create* a crime, not *discover* one.

The crimes committee by Ken Starr using our taxpayer money are easily
enough to earn him several hundred years in federal prison.

Starr contributed to the Clinton's lack of effective response against
terrorism. Today's chicken-hawks forget that when Bubba sent cruise
missiles to Afghanistan, they whined that he was just doing it to
distract folks from the Starr investigation.

Starr's only punishment is likely to be historical. Instead of being
remembered as a respected jurist, possibly ending his days on the
Supreme Court, his legacy is as buffoon, stooge and pervert.
Hopefully, he's at least partially aware of this.

Old December 4th 04, 04:20 PM
Chessdon

And I sometimes think suppose our President was in the process of being
humilated by Starr's lawyers in degrading fashion as he was during that
deposition - and suppose those planes hit the towers then.

Yes, I would say it is a bit late for Starr to apologize.

Old December 4th 04, 07:12 PM
Angelo DePalma

I think it's incredible that the President of the U.S. cannot be tried for
murder while he's in office, but he can be humiliated for grabbing someone's
ass, investing in shady land deals, and getting a blowjob. All of that could
have waited until January 2004. In the meantime for more than a year we had
no president.

adp

Old December 5th 04, 08:02 PM
Graeme

I think it's incredible that the President of the U.S. cannot be tried for
murder while he's in office,

He could have been, the reason he wasn't is that there was no real evidence of
foul play in the Vince Foster case, not because it wouldn't have mattered if
there was.

but he can be humiliated for grabbing someone's ass, investing in shady land
deals, and getting a blowjob. All of that could have waited until January 2004.
In the meantime for more than a year we had no president.

adp

You mean January 2001. But you're forgetting which party gave us the
Independent Prosecutor in the first place and was quite enthusiastic about it
until the first time it bit them. That they didn't pass a law that would delay
things until after the people in question were out of office, was deliberate,
not accidental. They wanted to use it to get rid of people that couldn't be
beaten at the ballot box. It was only when it hit them that it suddenly dawned
on them "Hey wait, this isn't entirely fair, is it?" Of course they never
thought to blame themselves.
Old December 5th 04, 08:35 PM
Graeme

The crimes committee by Ken Starr using our taxpayer money are easily enough
to earn him several hundred years in federal prison.

Probably all of us have wished that ex-post facto laws were legal at one time
or another, but none of us would wish that to be the case all the time. If you
passed one to punish Starr, you'd punish Starr, and also open up a dozen cans
of worms that you don't want to. Besides, finding the right way to word it
might be embarrassing. You could hardly call it the Failure To Cover Up For
Democratic Presidents Act, after all.

Old December 5th 04, 09:04 PM
Graeme

And I sometimes think suppose our President was in the process of being
humilated by Starr's lawyers in degrading fashion as he was during that
deposition - and suppose those planes hit the towers then.

Yes, I would say it is a bit late for Starr to apologize.

Too late to apologize for questioning Clinton while the planes hit the towers?
I'd say it's still too early. But considering how many opportunities Clinton
passed up to get Saddam, it's unlikely to have mattered even if the attack had
happened in September 2000. This simply wasn't his priority.