Old December 5th 04, 04:59 AM
Miriling

Default Tony Cottell and USCF Finances

Subject: Tony Cottell and USCF Finances

On 4 December 2004 (Sam Sloan) wrote in
-snipped-

I understand that Tony Cottell now lives in Florida.

Sam Sloan

That's correct. Tony retired to Lady Lake, Florida.

George Mirijanian

Old December 5th 04, 06:24 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Parrthenon" wrote in message
"The Crossville move might be a bad deal in your view, Larry, but don't
try and
make Sloan out to be "Honest Sam the truthseeker" simply because he holds
others to a standard he doesn't subscribe to himself." -- Regards,
Matt Nemmers

Matt,

Once again, this is NOT about Sam Sloan. You are so blinded by hatred for
him
that you keep missing the BIG PICTURE.

Even if you agree with the board majority that the move to Crossville is
the
greatest thing that ever happened to the USCF since sliced bread, why do
you
think they don't want YOU or ME or ANYONE ELSE to see a contract they
claim is
fair and above board? If there's nothing to hide, why not post it here for
our
inspection?

I asked you this question once before, and you ignored it.. Do you agree
with Stan Booz that USCF members are not entitled to see it NOW? My own
view is
that any USCf official who classifies this document is unfit to serve in
this
not-for-profit organization.

Regards,

Larry

The membership elects the people they feel with represent them and their
interests and charge them with carrying out the business of the USCF. The
"rank and file" doesn't have all the inside information given to the
Executive Board because they've decided that the people they elected are
competent enough to make decisions FOR them, and trust them to do whatever's
in their the the federation's best interest. That's how it's SUPPOSED to
work and why Sloan will never, ever get elected.

If you waited for every member (or even every poster here) to weigh-in on
the Crossville move -- or any other decision for that matter -- nothing
would ever get done. It would not only be micro-managing, it would be an
extraordinary waste of time and resources. My point is simply that Sloan --
while he may have a mole who passes second and third-hand information on to
him -- doesn't have access to all the necessary information to make an
informed decision. He just sees what he sees, decides he doesn't like it,
and decides that he'll get a grip of attention by filing a lawsuit.
Shooting from the hip, so to speak.

Sloan is a complete and utter imbecile; a failure in almost everything he's
tried to accomplish. By doing what he's doing now, he's only holding the
USCF back from actually getting something done. And all in the name of
fashioning a reputation for himself in the hopes that one day he may be
elected to the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful USCF Executive Board.

Regards,

Matt

Old December 5th 04, 11:09 AM
Spam Scone

Matt Nemmers wrote:

Sloan is a complete and utter imbecile; a failure in almost

everything he's
tried to accomplish. By doing what he's doing now, he's only holding

the
USCF back from actually getting something done. And all in the name

of
fashioning a reputation for himself in the hopes that one day he may

be
elected to the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful USCF Executive

Board.

But he's not a complete failure. Sam Sloan serves as a "useful idiot"
for the USCF Old Guard. The Old Guard is very threatened over the move
to Crossville, as it is a sign of their weakening lock on the USCF. Now
no respectable chess politician wants to go on record as having sued
USCF, so they give aid to crazy taxi-drivers with no reputation to
lose.

Old December 5th 04, 03:19 PM
Parrthenon

The membership elects the people they feel with represent them and their
interests and charge them with carrying out the business of the USCF. The "rank
and file" doesn't have all the inside information given to the Executive Board
because they've decided that the people they elected are competent enough to
make decisions FOR them, and trust them to do whatever's in their the the
federation's best interest. . -- Matt Nemmers

Right. How noble.

One of the current board members ran on a campaign opposing the move to
Crossville, calling it another in a long line of strategic mistakes by the USCF
and, after getting elected, delivered the key vote to move to Crossville.

Later I shall deal with Stan Booz's extraordinary denial that he
opposes publishing the contract with Crossville on the USCF website, and his
argument (in the very next paragraph!) for why the contract shouldn't be
published on the USCF website.

"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old December 5th 04, 03:24 PM
StanB

"Parrthenon" wrote in message

Later I shall deal with Stan Booz's extraordinary denial that he
opposes publishing the contract with Crossville on the USCF website, and
his
argument (in the very next paragraph!) for why the contract shouldn't be
published on the USCF website.

No, I said why should it be. So far you haven't given any reason why anyone
should expect it to be published. I can hardly wait for your spin.

Old December 5th 04, 08:39 PM
chapman Billy

Matt Nemmers wrote:
"Parrthenon" wrote in message

"The Crossville move might be a bad deal in your view, Larry, but don't
try and
make Sloan out to be "Honest Sam the truthseeker" simply because he holds
others to a standard he doesn't subscribe to himself." -- Regards,
Matt Nemmers

Matt,

Once again, this is NOT about Sam Sloan. You are so blinded by hatred for
him
that you keep missing the BIG PICTURE.

I can see that Matt despises Sloan, with reason, blind hatred it is not.

[...]

One could add to what Matt has written that it seems strange it needs to
be pointed out that one doesn't reveal everything.

As this is a chess group, I shall restrict myself to an example of one
of the times when I was negotiating the hire of premises for my county
chess association. My counter party asked how much we had been paying
previously, I responded that it was too much and that what he was asking
was an order of magnitude greater than we could afford, I did not give
him an accurate figure. We settled for one fifth of his initial demand.
The following year someone else in the county handled the negotiations,
he told me he thought I had been a little bit mean, and offered 50%
more. To each his own.

[...]

My objection to Sloan is his dishonesty and his attention seeking. How
anyone can take him seriously beggars belief.

Regards,

Simon.

--
Excise Burns and his dates to email me.

Old December 5th 04, 09:29 PM

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 20:39:02 +0000, chapman Billy
wrote:

I can see that Matt despises Sloan, with reason, blind hatred it is not.

What is the reason? Matt does not know me. He has never met me. He has
never spoken to me. He knows nothing about me.

Matt attacks me all the time but I just ignore him and I think that
almost everybody else does too.

For that matter, I have no idea who you are either.

Old December 5th 04, 11:52 PM
StanB

wrote:

I can see that Matt despises Sloan, with reason, blind hatred it is not.

What is the reason? Matt does not know me. He has never met me. He has
never spoken to me. He knows nothing about me.

Maybe it is somethings you wrote.

Old December 6th 04, 01:20 AM
Parrthenon

"You are intellectually dishonest Larry. I said no such thing. You said they
shoulda posted it. I said why would they want to. You are intellectually
dishonest." -- Stan Booz

"Why would they not want to? So do you or do you not agree that they should
publish the agreement with Crossville?" -- Larry Parr

"I'll take this as an admission of guilt. I don't see why they should publish
everything they do on the internet. I know of no business, organization, or
government that does such. I'll tell you what, when Dato publishes your
contract I'll ask them to publish the Crossville contract." -- Stan Booz

I understood Stan Booz to oppose release of the contract with Crossville, given
his earlier comments. He called me intellectually dishonest, yet above he
admits that my inference from what he wrote was about right.

Stan Booz now mixes apples and oranges. He compares a private employment
contract (I have not asked to see Al Lawrence's old contract) with a policy
issue that involves a contract between a national organization and Crossville.
I would call that analogy intellectually dishonest. He knows better -- or ought
to.

Wayne Praeder tells me Board members may have a fiduciary responsibility to
keep the contents of the Crossville contract outside the purview of the
membership. Okay, that's a possibility, but this kind of argument has been used
many times in the past to cover up bad agreements that proved very costly. He
is correct that I am asking questions to find out if we are on the cusp of yet
another disaster.

Sam Sloan's armpits are the preferred topic of discussion among those who
don't wish to answer questions, beginning I suppose with: why couldn't this
Board give Erik Anderson, a well-known and successful and highly productive
businessman for chess per se, two weeks to speak with billionaire Gerry about
the possibilities for Liberty? No answer.

The second question, which we can amend to meet Mr. Praeder's objection:
what are the contents of the Crossville contract? Now, there, we can stop
asking for someone to publicly leak it. Let us just find out what is actually
happening rather than treating the relocation of a chess organization as a
national security issue.

Yours, Larry Parr