Old December 5th 04, 05:07 AM
Chessdon

Default Response ro Stan Booz's attacking Bill Goichberg

Stan Booz made the following statement on rgcp about Bill Goichberg:

"He cost us almost as much money as Niro. Exactly what decision of his saved
us so much as one thin dime?"

Stan that statement of yours is an insult to a hard working chess volunteer who
has contributed much. What's your point?

For the record, here are just a few statements that destroy your not-a-dime
inaccurate posting:

1. B & E Outsourcing.
At our January meeting, we were about to accept a bid with no money guaranteed
and 72 Chess Life pages per year free to the outsourcer, who would also
continue to run his own business in competition with USCF. Bill argued that he
could negotiate a better offer and as a result we now have a $350,000 minimum
annual payment, a larger percentage received on sales, ads at cost rather than
free, and an outsourcer who does not compete with USCF. Over the three years
of the contract I would estimate the difference to USCF to be a plus of well
over $500,000.

2. US Chess Trust
USCF was invoiced for $63,000 by the Chess Trust for various and highly
complicated alleged debts, most of which the Trust said the previous USCF CEO
acknowleged. After extensive study and negotiation by Bill, the Trust agreed
that USCF owed only about a quarter of this amount.

3. CFO
Bill replaced our previous CFO, who was earning $50,000 per year, with one who
is better qualified yet is paid less than half as much.

4. Grand Prix
Bill found a corporate sponsor for the USCF Grand Prix ($10,000 cash and $5000
merchandise), which had lacked one since 1998.

5. TV rights
A new network suggested that we allow them to televise some of our national
tournaments in return only for the publicity we would get. Bill negotiated a
contract under which we have received $6000 so far and will get a total of
$60,000 if the network picks up its options for the next four years.

6. Other revenue
Bill arranged for USCF to endorse a chess variant, resulting in $5000 in income
so far with the potential for $5000 more.

7. ED salary
Bill volunteered to work without pay or benefits. Compared to what was paid to
previous EDs, this has saved USCF at least $100,000.

Don Schultz

Old December 5th 04, 07:51 AM
Doctor SBD

a better offer and as a result we now have a $350,000 minimum
annual payment

Do we?

I do not feel otherwise qualified to comment on Mr. Goich, except to say he
runs a fine tournament, but the ChessCafe deal has always struck me as suspect,
and other posters would lead me to believe that we are not receiving our
payments as we should. Is that true, or false? Seeing that rumor dispelled
would make a lot of us rank-and file members feel better about USCF's future.

SBD
Old December 5th 04, 10:11 AM
Chessdon

ChessCafe deal has always struck me as suspect,
and other posters would lead me to believe that we are not receiving our
payments as we should. Is that true, or false? Seeing that rumor dispelled
would make a lot of us rank-and file members feel better about USCF's future.

Dear Dodtorsbd:

Good news! The answer is false to say we are not receiving our payments as we
should. The fact is: We are! The reason some question this is that the contract
does not call for equalization to the minimum on a monthly basis but rather on
an annual basis! In the meantime we still get the 15% or so percent of gross
sales. So sleep well and be happy that USCF has the right people looking after
its interests.

Old December 5th 04, 10:19 AM
Doctor SBD

Well, I never sleep well but that news is at least encouraging. Maybe a picture
of Mr. Russell handing Beatriz one of those big checks at the end of the year
would do well to appear in Chess Life.

SBD
Old December 5th 04, 01:08 PM
Spam Scone

Chessdon wrote:
Well, I never sleep well but that news is at least encouraging.

Maybe a
picture
of Mr. Russell handing Beatriz one of those big checks at the end of

the year
would do well to appear in Chess Life.

SBD

Kalev, the man makes sense!

SBD, Good suggestion, it is in the hands of our editor and I will

remind him!

Don

This is a new role for the good Doctor. Steven Dowd, Friend of Kalev.

Old December 5th 04, 02:14 PM
StanB

"Chessdon" wrote in message

1. B & E Outsourcing.
At our January meeting, we were about to accept a bid with no money
guaranteed
and 72 Chess Life pages per year free to the outsourcer, who would also
continue to run his own business in competition with USCF. Bill argued
that he
could negotiate a better offer and as a result we now have a $350,000
minimum
annual payment, a larger percentage received on sales, ads at cost rather
than
free, and an outsourcer who does not compete with USCF. Over the three
years
of the contract I would estimate the difference to USCF to be a plus of
well
over $500,000.

Bull. We've had to provide tens of thousands of dollars worth of free
advertising, give up our tournament concession income, and pay for the
catalog. Meanwhile we have not and probably will not receive the 350,000
which as I understand it, is not guarnteed.

2. US Chess Trust
USCF was invoiced for $63,000 by the Chess Trust for various and highly
complicated alleged debts, most of which the Trust said the previous USCF
CEO
acknowleged. After extensive study and negotiation by Bill, the Trust
agreed
that USCF owed only about a quarter of this amount.

This could of been done by anyone in the office. Barabara DeMaro, your good
friend, was overbilling us all along. You told me we should keep
underwriting her salary because then Harold Dondis would leave a million
dollars to the organization. How's that coming? Will we realize that carrot
you held out?

3. CFO
Bill replaced our previous CFO, who was earning $50,000 per year, with one
who
is better qualified yet is paid less than half as much.

Only because it is a part time position. How much do we pay him. How much
does his travel, lodging, and meals cost us? How much less work is there now
that the B&E is gone? How much less work is there because he no longer
provides detailed financials with full disclosure?

4. Grand Prix
Bill found a corporate sponsor for the USCF Grand Prix ($10,000 cash and
$5000
merchandise), which had lacked one since 1998.

And how much of this inures to the USCF. What does the Grand Prix mean to at
least 80,000 members?

5. TV rights
A new network suggested that we allow them to televise some of our
national
tournaments in return only for the publicity we would get. Bill
negotiated a
contract under which we have received $6000 so far and will get a total of
$60,000 if the network picks up its options for the next four years.

We'll see.

6. Other revenue
Bill arranged for USCF to endorse a chess variant, resulting in $5000 in
income
so far with the potential for $5000 more.

Wonderful. $5,000 maybe another $5,000. To endorse a *******ized version of
chess. Wonderful.

7. ED salary
Bill volunteered to work without pay or benefits. Compared to what was
paid to
previous EDs, this has saved USCF at least $100,000.

That remains to be seen. My understanding is that he did this with the
tactic understanding that when he was done he would get a $60,000 gratuity.
As to the $100,000, it was a ridiculous amount to pay anyway.

Old December 5th 04, 05:04 PM
Chessdon

Bull. We've had to provide tens of thousands of dollars worth of free
advertising, give up our tournament concession income, and pay for the
catalog. Meanwhile we have not and probably will not receive the 350,000
which as I understand it, is not guarnteed.

I believe any money we spent on advertising for Hanon was part of the contract
and included in the determination of the figures shown. But I will check this
to make certain. As for the $350,000, yes it is guaranteed by contract.

This could of been done by anyone in the office. Barabara DeMaro, your good
friend, was overbilling us all along. You told me we should keep
underwriting her salary because then Harold Dondis would leave a million
dollars to the organization. How's that coming? Will we realize that carrot

Much of the above paragraph has completely nothing to do with the subject we
are addressing - your allegation that Bill Goichberg has not brought in one
dime. So I will ignore that part and not stray from topic.As for the other
calculations above the fact is Bill's meticulous calculations of the details
here were uniique and before him we were ready to settle for less. Ask Doyle
whom he negotiated with, how well he represented the USCF in his negotiations
between USCF and the US Chess Trust.

Only because it is a part time position.

Ken Thomas did the job the full time person before him did and was more
responsive and cost USCF much less. I don't have the exact numbers here but it
was a substantial savings having him replace Linda.

4. Grand Prix
Bill found a corporate sponsor for the USCF Grand Prix ($10,000 cash and
$5000
merchandise), which had lacked one since 1998.

And how much of this inures to the USCF. What does the Grand Prix mean to at
least 80,000 members?

Bill got a sponsors for the Grand Prix, that's money in the bank. The USCF
supports the Grand Prix Program. If the program is no good then the EB should
identify it as not necessary rather than condemn the ED for getting money to
do it.

5. TV rights
A new network suggested that we allow them to televise some of our
national
tournaments in return only for the publicity we would get. Bill
negotiated a
contract under which we have received $6000 so far and will get a total of
$60,000 if the network picks up its options for the next four years.

We'll see.

Wait and see but you howled not a dime and ignore the $6,000 that we already
received on this.

6. Other revenue
Bill arranged for USCF to endorse a chess variant, resulting in $5000 in
income
so far with the potential for $5000 more.

Wonderful. $5,000 maybe another $5,000. To endorse a *******ized version of
chess. Wonderful.

Again howl: Not a dime and ignore and berate the refutation. You give the
impression that you will discount everything and anything I say in Bill's
defense. So, there is no convincing you.

7. ED salary
Bill volunteered to work without pay or benefits. Compared to what was
paid to
previous EDs, this has saved USCF at least $100,000.

That remains to be seen. My understanding is that he did this with the
tactic understanding that when he was done he would get a $60,000 gratuity.
As to the $100,000, it was a ridiculous amount to pay anyway.

Let's get to the bottom of this false and absurd information of a $60,000
understanding. How did you come to understand a $60,000 thing that never
existed? Who made up this fake story for you?

Stan, Bill just sat in the office hotseat for a year helping USCF out when we
needed help. Why attack him? What's to be gained?

Stan when Beatriz started as president you were a huge help to the organzation.
I recognized that and was proud for us to have such an objective professional
helping and advising us.

What in the world has happened to you?

IMO your objectivity on USCF organization and politics has dropped on a scale
of one to ten from plus ten to minus ten.

You seem blind to reality.

I am concerned about you.

Open your eyes man, you have a lot better things to offer us other than beating
up on someone who has done so much for chess.

Wishing Stan a full recovery and a quick return to constructive criticisms and
contributions.

Don Schultz

Old December 5th 04, 06:59 PM
ASCACHESS

7. ED salary
Bill volunteered to work without pay or benefits. Compared to what was
paid to
previous EDs, this has saved USCF at least $100,000.

That remains to be seen. My understanding is that he did this with the
tactic understanding that when he was done he would get a $60,000 gratuity.
As to the $100,000, it was a ridiculous amount to pay anyway.

How much in free advertising has Bill received in lieu of salary? That is
still income.

Rp
Old December 5th 04, 07:10 PM
StanB

"Chessdon" wrote in message

Let's get to the bottom of this false and absurd information of a $60,000
understanding. How did you come to understand a $60,000 thing that never
existed? Who made up this fake story for you?

Isn't that the amount you and Brady suggested the board to give him?

Stan, Bill just sat in the office hotseat for a year helping USCF out when
we
needed help. Why attack him? What's to be gained?

I am not attacking Bill. He means well and certainly wants to help. What I
am responding to is the claims that he has turned the organization around.
What I am offended by is the cowardness of the Friends of Billy G. who feed
Sam with all sorts of crap to slander and embarrass Beatrice, Randy, and
Tim. The chicanery in funding Sam's frivolous lawsuit. Why don't you and
your gang put your cards on the table and not rely on Sam Sloan. Sam of all
people. Sam who gleefully reports on his web site how he participated in the
sexual exploitation of young girls. Sam who has been in one jail and out of
another. Sam who tells bald-faced lies without one word of condemnation by
you and the Billy G. fan club.

You cheerfully make all sorts of wild claims of funding just over the
rainbow but that funding never seems to materialize. You argue for ghost
employees, unscrupulous rascals, and trough feeders. Then when someone
points out the self dealing you accuse them of not being a team player. Well
when I see the dirt under the rug I'm gonna point it out. When I see that
the USCF is little more than a vehicle for lining the pockets of a select
few I'm gonna say so. One thin dime is a metaphor for not nearly so much as
claimed. You want to pat yourself on the back for finding a sack dimes, you
do that.

You want to show that you're a good guy Don, explain why Bill fired the
whistle blower the day after I pointed out what Bill was considering doing
was illegal. Do that for me. Show me you care about the integrity of the
USCF.