Old December 5th 04, 07:57 PM
Doctor SBD

Default New USCF Model

Rob, ideas are fine. It is their implementation that is difficult.

Chess clubs are so dead in this country that I fear your idea of organizational
members, which would have made a lot of sense in the 1970s or 80s, just would
fall flat.

But if we included "clubs" to include ICC, Red Hot Pawn, and all those other
online clubs - and offered something in exchange for being a member of USCF to
those organizations (USCF really blew a good deal when ICC was running those
QRs, giving them to that *******ized server, USCwhatever), that might work.

But while I don't agree with Stan B.'s style at all, I think he is making the
point that the USCF has come to exist as an enrichment vehicle for long-time
politicos, which means they will never do anything to "really" help chess.

If that is true, then perhaps Stan, Tim, Beatriz, the Goich and others did us
no favor by keeping the USCF alive. It would have been better to see the
organization die and have a more viable one pop up in its place. Having been a
member of the USCF (with a few lapsed years) for over 30 years, I always get a
lump in my throat when I type such words.

You also have to realize, Rob, that those of us who have been "here" for a long
time have seen many such ideas, borrowed from PGA or NASCAR or even (horrors!)
Mensa, but let's face it - chess is never going to be a popular spectator
sport. I think people who don't realize that are extremely Pollyannish in
their views of what "could be." In fact, I think their views could be downright
destructive to the organization.

SBD
Old December 5th 04, 08:05 PM
StanB

"Doctor SBD" wrote in message

But while I don't agree with Stan B.'s style at all,

You must be mellowing in your old age.

Old December 5th 04, 09:26 PM
Doctor SBD

But while I don't agree with Stan B.'s style at all,

You must be mellowing in your old age.

I am trying, even though studies show that the curmudgeon is likely to outlive
the more mellow oldster.

One of the factors that mellowed me considerably was the discovery of the chess
problem art, another form of chess that even someone like me, who lacks stamina
due to illness, can pursue fruitfully (even though I am still not good at it).
But in the past few months, I have had problems accepted in such diverse
locations as Japan(!), Lithuania, Germany, Great Britain, Macedonia, Finland,
Norway, etc.

That is one of the beauties of chess - when you reach your peak in one area,
try another!

But Neil talks about this sort of thing a lot when he notes that "all chess is
not USCF." In fact, I am beginning to think USCF is one of the worst things you
can get involved in, and you and Tim are my "proof" (it certainly would be
enough evidence for Sammy). What have both of you received for your good deeds?
Nothing but scorn; again I don't agree with your style, but I think if I had to
put up with the pocketfillers as you and Tim have had to, I would be using "the
f word" a heck of a lot.

SBD
Old December 5th 04, 10:26 PM
HAASpittle

"You also have to realize, Rob, that those of us who have been "here" for a
long
time have seen many such ideas, borrowed from PGA or NASCAR or even (horrors!)
Mensa, but let's face it - chess is never going to be a popular spectator
sport." (Doctor SBD)
=============
Doctor, you are correct. Chess will never be really popular. Andit won't
attract much in the way of broadbased corporate sponsorship. Chess will have
to make it on its own. That's one reason why a Mensa treatment for chess is a
good idea. The members themselves all become the long sought "sponsors" by
putting about $10 of their national membership into their local Metro District
account to be used to promote chess right in their own area or nearby.
We won't see a really good national chess federation in this country until
we have one that looks more or less like the real Mensa.. with organizational
capital aimed right at the basic market for chess, the metro area in most
cases.

Old Haasie
Old December 5th 04, 10:40 PM
Spam Scone

Doctor SBD wrote:
But while I don't agree with Stan B.'s style at all,

You must be mellowing in your old age.

I am trying, even though studies show that the curmudgeon is likely

to outlive
the more mellow oldster.

One of the factors that mellowed me considerably was the discovery of

the chess
problem art, another form of chess that even someone like me, who

lacks stamina
due to illness, can pursue fruitfully (even though I am still not

good at it).
But in the past few months, I have had problems accepted in such

diverse
locations as Japan(!), Lithuania, Germany, Great Britain, Macedonia,

Finland,
Norway,

Pennsylvania

etc.

That is one of the beauties of chess - when you reach your peak in

one area,
try another!

Your study in the last issue of The Pennswoodpusher was very fine,
Steve. It was a lovely composition. I was honored to publish it.

But Neil talks about this sort of thing a lot when he notes that "all

chess is
not USCF." In fact, I am beginning to think USCF is one of the worst

things you
can get involved in, and you and Tim are my "proof" (it certainly

would be
enough evidence for Sammy). What have both of you received for your

good deeds?
Nothing but scorn; again I don't agree with your style, but I think

if I had to
put up with the pocketfillers as you and Tim have had to, I would be

using "the
f word" a heck of a lot.

Ditto.

Old December 5th 04, 10:51 PM
Doctor SBD

Like I have said, Ole Haasie, the idea has some merit.

The only thing that bothers me about it is that you have an all-or-none
approach to it.

Why not try to implement the Mensa approach in a small section of the country
and see if it flies?

SBD
Old December 5th 04, 11:04 PM
Doctor SBD

Your study in the last issue of The Pennswoodpusher was very fine,
Steve. It was a lovely composition. I was honored to publish it.

And another example of you getting along with someone you didn't always. One
reason flame wars don't bother me that much is that out of them you meet people
like Neil. We had some steady disagreements for awhile here, but I realized
that we really weren't that distant when it came to a love of the chess game
and its related arts.

This is how we need to promote chess - to learn problem composition - which is
very similar to musical composition and mathematics - I had to dust off my old
books on linear algebra and vector analysis, as the problem art borrows heavily
from mathematical models, in addition to its often lovely use of board
geometry. I also bought a book and one of those little keyboards to learn
something about music composition.

Chess should be promoted as the intellectual game for a lifetime, not hoping
that some GM will be the next Dale Earnhardt. We need people who will use chess
to their advantage in their lives, as well as consider it a fine hobby.

The Europeans don't call their compatriots in the game "Chessfriends" (i.e.,
"Schachfreunde") for no reason at all. I also communicate with so many people
around the world who share the same goals. What better life-long education?

SBD
Old December 6th 04, 01:59 AM
HAASpittle

"Why not try to implement the Mensa approach in a small section of the country
and see if it flies?" (SBD)
============
You must have missed several of my posts several months past in which I
suggested the first step would be to test the Mensa treatment in one or a few
metro areas, Baltimore being one suggested test bed, and Norfolk-Portsmouth
another.
As much as I like the Mensa scheme, I could be dead wrong about it and it
might fall flat on its face. Thus, the test phase... which the USCF could
afford nowadays.

RSHaas
Old December 6th 04, 05:55 AM
RMille9601

I think Chess was a spectator sport today and maybe a day or so ago also. What
do I base this on?
I could not get the boards on US Championship official site to appear on my
screen several times today during the playoff games. I assume that is because
so many people were logged on. The pieces would show but no squares. Any one
else have this happen to them of was it just my connection.

Russell Miller, Chelan WA