Old December 6th 04, 02:22 AM
Chess One

Default Instead of a preface

In the terrible years of the Yezhov terror, I spent seventeen months in
the prison lines of Leningrad. Once, someone "recognised:" me. Then a woman
with bluish lips standing behind me, who of course, had never heard me
called by name before, woke up from the stupor to which everyone had
succumbed and whispered in my ear (everyone spoke in whispers there):
"Can you describe this?"
And I answered: "Yes, I can."
Then something that looked like a smile passed over what had once been
her face.

AA

April 1, 1957
Leningrad