Old December 7th 04, 12:49 PM
Bill Smythe

Default Cell phones

"Harold Buck" wrote:
If only that momentum would extend to other areas of society.

Amen.

I don't mind cell phones on city transit trains and buses, or even those in
use by somebody walking down the street. They should be turned off during
company meetings, however.

Bill Smythe

Old December 10th 04, 02:58 AM
Frank Dreck

"Bill Smythe" They should be turned off during company meetings, however.

And inside gyms, movie theaters, book stores, libraries, seminars, etc.

Most cell-phone abusers try to talk louder than whatever event they are
disrupting.

Old December 12th 04, 10:01 AM
Jerzy

"StanB" wropte in message

And what do we have in the case of chess : an imitation of drug testing
from
sports that have nth in common with chess ?

Neuron blockers can be used as a long-term memory enhancers. The FDA

hasn't
approved them in this country but they are available in many other
countries.

Are they harmful and do they really improve chess strength ?

BTW I agree that drug testing is necessary in athletics and games like
tennis but chess has its own specification.

I doubt that, although e.g. testosteron drugs are harmful, they should make
anti-testosteron tests on chess players.

Regards,

Jerzy

Old December 12th 04, 03:15 PM
StanB

"Jerzy" wrote in message

Neuron blockers can be used as a long-term memory enhancers. The FDA

hasn't
approved them in this country but they are available in many other
countries.

Are they harmful and do they really improve chess strength ?

I don't know if they are harmful but I know better long-term memory would
certainly be useful.

Old December 12th 04, 07:51 PM
Jerzy

"StanB" wrote in message
Are they harmful and do they really improve chess strength ?

I don't know if they are harmful but I know better long-term memory would
certainly be useful.

If they are not harmful there is no reason to forbid them in chess.

Regards,

Jerzy

Old December 13th 04, 10:12 PM
Nick

StanB wrote:
Neuron blockers can be used as a long-term memory enhancers.
The FDA hasn't approved them in this country but they are available
in many other countries.

In the November 2004 issue of 'Europe Echecs', there's a full-page
advertisement (p. 71), featuring an endorsement by Almira Skripchenko,
for a memory-enhancement product called 'Memory Perfect':
"...Memory Perfect, le seul produit teste et approuve par des plus
Grands
scientifiques au mond..."

The advertisement also claims that the product's been endorsed by
Anand.

(I have not used this product. I do not recommend its purchase or use.
I have no opinion about its effectiveness or potential harmfulness.
I have not been financially compensated for writing this post.)
--Nick